PDA

View Full Version : Five-year-old Romanian weightlifter becomes Internet star

Jolie Rouge
10-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Oct 27, 2009 2:57 pm EDT
Five-year-old Romanian weightlifter becomes Internet star
By Chris Chase

Giuliano Stroe has six-pack abs before turning six years old. And he's also in the Guinness Book of World Records before he can probably even read it.

Though it's highly unusual for a child to start weight training at such a young age, the pre-schooler entered the record books earlier this year after completing the fastest ever 10-meter walk with a weight ball between the legs, which is both both highly impressive and highly specific. Since then, a four-minute video of Stroe has hit the Internet and made him a viral sensation.

It looks like a training montage from a Rocky movie, minus the Survivor soundtrack. (And, interestingly, Guiliano Stroe is almost the same size as Slyvester Stallone.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PndJi2Sia2w&feature=player_embedded

The highlights:

0:32 -- The "Crouching Tiger" wall flip.

0:41 -- Backflips on the kitchen table. Even Richard Heene thinks that's questionable parenting.

1:43 -- Doing barbell curls with toddlers dancing to 50 Cent in the background.

3:19 -- More flipping, this time from a high bar.

3:39 -- My arms hurt from just watching that.

The pre-schooler's gymnastic skills are every bit as impressive as his weightlighting prowess. Both sports are national obsessions in Romania, so Stroe should have plenty of options when he becomes a teenager ... in 2017

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/Video-Five-year-old-Romanian-weighlifter-become?urn=top,198525

I don't know quite how to react. Part of me is amazed and part of me is slightly disturbed. The kid seems to enjoy it though. Better than sitting in front of the TV mindlessly playing video games I'd say...but the fact is that it has been proven early exposure to weightlifting causes premature hardening of the bones and will stunt his growth.

gmyers
10-27-2009, 07:25 PM
He's good. I bet he'll be in the olympics one day.