PDA

View Full Version : Daycare question.....need answer.

hotwheelstx
10-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Since I don't have any children of my own I'm having a problem with one of the mother's I sit for. If she were to stop using me and put her daughter in a daycare center would she still be charged for the day if the child didn't show up?

This is the same mom I'm still dealing with. Her daughter has been here on/off the last 2 weeks. However, when she's not here the mother doesn't call to let me know that the child won't be there.

Aggie picks up and delivers the little girl. (Mother's car doesn't have legal tags and we're afraid for the child). Anyway in an email I was told week before last that the girl would be here the entire week. Aggie went over to get her that Monday and her mother said that she was at her grandmothers and she wasn't coming that day but would be there on Tuesday the very next day. Aggie went over there again to get the little girl and didn't get an answer at the door. He knocked 3 times. Went back to the car and called and asked if I'd call and find out what was going on. I called and the mom's boyfriend said that the mother was staying home with the child.....they also were asleep. No more than an hour later the mom called and asked if the little girl could come over for the day. I said no since we'd already been told that she wasn't coming for the day.

I understand that she doesn't have to pay me for the time she's not here. However, I think it's only commen courtesy to call and let me know if she'll be here or not. Mom doesn't see it that way. If she puts her in daycare she won't have to call but I think she'd still be charged for not being there at a weekly rate.

TIA

loris520
10-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Yes she would be charged no matter what. You have to pay by the week even if the child is not there.

Jenefer3
10-04-2009, 03:32 PM
When my kids were in daycare, we paid monthly but I don't recall ever being charged for days that they weren't there. Of course, I usually called and let them know if the kids weren't going to be there on a day that they were expecting them.

I'd call around and ask a few daycares what their policy is for no-shows. At the very least she needs to at least let you know before Aggie drives over there.

dangerousfem
10-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Most daycares charge a weekly or monthly fee.. no matter how many days the child shows up.

nightrider127
10-04-2009, 04:16 PM
At our local Kindercares here, they charge if the child misses a day. If they go to the day care for 3 days they get charged for the entire week. If they miss an entire week, they still get charged 50% of the weekly rate.

In the past couple of years, the Kindercares here locally have been getting 2 days off for Thanksgiving. If your child goes the 3 days they are open, you get charged the full weekly rate. Oh and if there is a holiday during the week and the Kindercare is closed for it, you still have to pay for the entire week. They also have teacher in service days when they are closed and you have to pay for that day also.

Hope this makes sense to you.

dinosmom
10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
When my DS was in daycare, I had to pay wether he was there or not unless I notified them 3 days in advance and we were only allowed so many days off per month. If we didnt notify them 3 days prior, even if it was a sudden illness, we would be charged for that day no matter what.

Anniston
10-04-2009, 05:01 PM
A parent would be hard pressed to find a facility daycare that does not charge for unused days. Most give (at most) two weeks (pre-scheduled) vacation days.

Further, most in-home daycares enforce this as well. It is not just facility. No call, no show is b.s. and disrespecting you.

dangerousfem
10-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I totally agree with Anniston

Anig2u
10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Unless you set basic rules you will continue to get walked on. Set up the rules you feel comfortable with and let it be known that if they are not followed you will no longer care for her child. If you keep allowing her to do whatever she wants she will think it is OK and do as she pleases. Print these rules and hand them to her, tell her to read them and have her sign, keep one and give her a copy. No misunderstandings that way. Good luck!

hotwheelstx
10-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Thank you everyone for your answers. The mother and I talked lastnite. She's under the impression that she can find childcare for under $50.00 a week....5 days a week from 9-7pm. I told her that that's what she'd been paying me when I first started watching her daughter I think 2 days a week and one weekend day. Now that she has a paying job I'm not sure what's up with that. She was very hesitant to give me more money until I told her I wouldn't babysit anymore and no drop ins.

I found a childcare agreement online and printed and filled it out. I told the mother to come by tomorrow and get it and sign it. If she doesn't, I won't be watching her daughter anymore. I've wasted gas, time, energy, missed apts. all to her thinking it's no big deal and to call me "as needed". I'm not sitting around and waiting....she doesn't get that either.

Thank you for the replies.

Licchl05
10-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Wow she's smoking some good stuff if she really thinks she can get child care for $50 a week for those hours, unless she's on some govt program it's so not gonna happen LOL!!!

hotwheelstx
10-05-2009, 10:15 AM
Wow she's smoking some good stuff if she really thinks she can get child care for $50 a week for those hours, unless she's on some govt program it's so not gonna happen LOL!!!

The mom thinks this is plenty of money for a 40-50 hour week to watch her daughter.

Licchl05
10-05-2009, 10:16 AM
The mom thinks this is plenty of money for a 40-50 hour week to watch her daughter.

That's rich, LOL! Tell her to call around to daycares. The cheapest around here is $25 per day plus food etc.

dinosmom
10-05-2009, 10:32 AM
....She's under the impression that she can find childcare for under $50.00 a week....5 days a week from 9-7pm.....

Try at least $50 a DAY in my area!!!!

Anig2u
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
So she expects you to babysit her child for $1 an hour? I think that's about what I made when I babysat after school & weekends which was 30 yrs ago and I was just barely a teenager and looking for a few bucks for kicks...LOL. That is quite comical!! Maybe she doesn't know its 2009??? LMAO

krisharry
10-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Why are you still watching this child? Stop wasting your time, cut your losses, and move one to find a new client.

Licchl05
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
why are you still watching this child? Stop wasting your time, cut your losses, and move one to find a new client.

ita

speedygirl
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Have you thought about making up a contract and having her sign it? It covers things like this. Daycare is at least $400 a week here.
There are a few sites that have sample contracts.

http://www.childcarelink.com/Daycare%20contract%20samples2.html

littlered1
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
The contract you found is a good idea. Also think about set hours and if she is late charge her $1.00 a minute. Thats what my daycare used to charge and that was 20 years ago. I paid by the week, so if I didn't show up I still paid. But as a working single mom I sure didn't miss any days. Does she pay on time every week? Add interest to it if she don't. How can she have a job if she only shows up when she wants to?
My daughter pays 20 dollars a day, even if it is a half day because she would be working the late shift and he picks her up on his way home. Which is very cheap and there is only a couple of places that are that price. Most want 25 - 35 a day.
Good luck, it's a crappy situation to be in... I know. Which is why I don't watch my Grand daughter anymore. You get stuck caring too much about the kid and doing it for free...............

Anig2u
10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
The contract you found is a good idea. Also think about set hours and if she is late charge her $1.00 a minute. Thats what my daycare used to charge and that was 20 years ago. I paid by the week, so if I didn't show up I still paid. But as a working single mom I sure didn't miss any days. Does she pay on time every week? Add interest to it if she don't. How can she have a job if she only shows up when she wants to?
My daughter pays 20 dollars a day, even if it is a half day because she would be working the late shift and he picks her up on his way home. Which is very cheap and there is only a couple of places that are that price. Most want 25 - 35 a day.
Good luck, it's a crappy situation to be in... I know. Which is why I don't watch my Grand daughter anymore. You get stuck caring too much about the kid and doing it for free...............

Are you saying you were paid to watch your granddaughter? Just curious because my Mom was never paid for watching her grandkids.

fleabones3
10-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I dont blame her for getting paid to watch her granddaughter if it was like a 8 hr day 5 days a week. Just because they are our grandkids, doesn't mean we dont have nothing better to do than watch kids 40 hours a week. We have already did our raising. If it was every weekend or a few hours during the week thats fine. But 40 hours a week, you bet I would be charging. My stepdaughter wanted me to baby sit 40 hours a week but DH said no, because I would have them all day while he was at work, and on the weekends he would want to see them but that I would be " burned out" and needing a break that I wouldnt want to do " grandparent" day and he is right. As it is , I see them at least a hour a day if not more most days. I am thankful I can leave or they go home

Anig2u
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Well ya if it's 40 hrs a week that is different. I just remember, I was younger and still living at home..18-21 and was working nights, my nieces and nephews were always at our house during the day and I would wake up grumpy because all I could hear was them banging on the floor. My SIL would even come early before she had to leave for work just to visit!! I'm not sure exactly how many hours a week they were there but my Mom was never paid. We always had a house full though, so I guess she didn't consider it work. Then when I had my DD she practically lived with my parents the first year of her life, because they wanted her there. They were so upset when we moved too far away for it to be an everyday thing. I guess everyone is different, because I know I wouldn't want little ones here 24/7, now that mine are grown up...lol. Guess I will have to wait and see when I am a Grama..OH man!!

Edited to add: Sorry for thread jacking

hotwheelstx
10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure what the mother's doing now. I told her unless she agreed to sign a contract, pay me what she owes me, show up and call when I'm not "needed"....I'd still watch her daughter.

Haven't seen or heard from them since. Says she'll pay me next payday. I don't think so. This was last Friday when she said that....and the little girl hasn't been here in 2 weeks. Also posted on her Facebook page that she was getting paid last Friday. When I contacted her about it by phone, email I didn't get an answer. We'll see. If not, she can find someone else to be on call "As needed".....it's not me anymore.

It's been over 25 years since I was 19. When I first started babysitting at 12 I house watched and babysat for this woman on the weekends. She was a weekend nurse. Even then and this was in the 80's I was paid $75.00 for 2 days a week. She didn't care what I did. Didn't care if I took her son anywhere. Always left extra money in case we wanted to order chinese or a pizza. Anyway, my point is I made more money back then. than I am now.

littlered1
10-06-2009, 05:54 PM
I was paid to watch my granddaughter. I paid my mom when she did it years ago and I guess I was raised that way. Now if I offer to take her for the night or we go out shopping (alot) then that is a different story. But it was my job at the time and I wanted to be paid. Does she owe me money... yes of course but thats how it goes.

pepperpot
10-06-2009, 06:14 PM
:agree....when my mom was alive and watched the kids....I always treated her well....I brought something special for her the next time we were out or a special treat that I would pick up for her on my way home. (She would never take money from me.)