PDA

View Full Version : Read any good books lately?

hotdoglove
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm looking for a good book to read. I just read the book "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. I must say it was a great book! I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

cpbaby
09-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I am currently reading True Colors by Kristin Hannah. I am only a few pages in, so Im not sure how its going to be.

Yesterday I read Girl Trouble by Holly Goddard Jones. It was a collection of short stories. She is from Logan County, KY, which is where Ilived for 17 yrs, so it was very strange to read. She used ALOT of landmarks and barely changed the names of factories and such. Most things an "outsider" wouldnt pick up on, but from living there, it was a touch odd. She SWEARS they are all fiction, but I still found myself wondering who she was talking about....

Over the weekened I read The Accidental Mother by Rowan Coleman. I liked it alot, it just made me sad at times.

DBackFan
09-30-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm looking for a good book to read. I just read the book "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb. I must say it was a great book! I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

I liked that book too!

freebielover
09-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr. was an amazing book. Entertaining but had a great message. I loved it, read it twice in a row to get everything out of it!

Kelsey1224
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I finished "The Lost Symbol" last week. It's Dan Brown's latest. (Delivered at 12:01 a.m. to my Kindle on the release date...so cool.)

It's a good read. I guessed three of the plot points...but was completely blown away by one thing that happened. I mean...I kept rereading that part because I wasn't expecting it at all.

Some of the story points are rehashing of other stories 'out there'...but he definitely has a different take on things.

I don't think I am giving anything away by saying that it takes place in Washington, D.C. Since this is one of hubby's and my favorite vacation destinations, it was fun to read about places I had visited and with which I was familiar.

Before that, I read "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. One of the best books I have ever read. It is on the current best seller list. It is an incredibly empowering book and I highly recommend it!!!

buglebe
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I am reading Elaine Viets dead end job series. It's light reading. They are mysteries and all I have read so far (4) have had a murder or 2 or 3 in them. These stories take place in Ft Lauderdale. We lived there for about a year in Pompano Beach so it is strange to be reading and read about a restaurant or street I have been to. I loved She's Come Undone too and The Accidental Mother was a sad story. I will have to check out the other books mentioned here.

DreamWarrior
09-30-2009, 06:08 PM

That one is really good!

Not really reading anything atm

The_Kinzzy
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Have you read any of the David Pelzer books? They are all really good. If you can stomach all the things his mother did to him. They really make you feel grateful for everything you have in life.

littlered1
10-01-2009, 06:00 PM
I am currently reading John Grisham "The Brethren". I have just discovered Grisham and have read quite a few of his in the last month.
I have about 2 chapters left and will finish it before I go to bed tonight.
The David Peltzer books are very good and makes me glad I grew up in a normal household.
I haven't read any of the others mentioned here though as I normally only read horror books.
Anyone read P.J.Parrish (Loius Kincaid ) novels? They are good too with alot of familliar places here in Michigan. I am waiting for the new one to come out.

Char
10-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Stephen King's "Blaze"... it's sooooo not Stephen King'ish. Very good, yet, disturbing. You will love and hate him all at the same time... worth the read.

buglebe
10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
I have not read any of the David Peltzer books. Is there any certain order they should be read in?

ilovecats
10-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I have not read any of the David Peltzer books. Is there any certain order they should be read in?

If I recall correctly,start with;
"A child called it",then move on to "the lost boy".
They are very sad and shocking,but I think everyone should read them.

ETA:this thread reminds me of his mom; http://www.bigbigforums.com/news-information/628155-boy-held-closet-years.html

justme23
10-02-2009, 12:52 AM

This is, by far, one of my favorite books of all time. Totally love it. I'm reading "The Executioner's Song" by Norman Mailer now. It's the story of Gary Gilmore, which I'm not sure many ppl here would find exciting but I'm totally in to that kind of thing... plus I totally love Norman Mailer.

catdance
10-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Read the HUGE "I know This Much is True", Wally Lamb's follow up.
Nothing like "She's Come Undone", a little over whelming at first, but an excellent read!
Oprah loved it and you can get it cheap 2nd hand..it will keep you busy.
I totally recommend it.

Anig2u
10-02-2009, 03:41 PM
This is, by far, one of my favorite books of all time. Totally love it. I'm reading "The Executioner's Song" by Norman Mailer now. It's the story of Gary Gilmore, which I'm not sure many ppl here would find exciting but I'm totally in to that kind of thing... plus I totally love Norman Mailer.

There is a movie starring Tommy Lee Jones and Rosanna Arquette. I believe it was in the 80's..I was pretty young when I watched it.

justme23
10-02-2009, 05:20 PM
There is a movie starring Tommy Lee Jones and Rosanna Arquette. I believe it was in the 80's..I was pretty young when I watched it.

Yeah... I just can't imagine it doing the book any kind of justice... plus it's only available on vhs... so I'll pass on it I think.

Anig2u
10-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah... I just can't imagine it doing the book any kind of justice... plus it's only available on vhs... so I'll pass on it I think.

Well since I haven't read the book I can't say. I remember watching it and I thought it was a really good movie, although I was quite young at the time. Tommy Lee Jones and Rosanne Arquette were good in it I thought. I might just rent it for the heck of it..since it's been such a long time, they have it at blockbuster online on DVD. I wouldn't read the book now..I like reading the book first then seeing the movie.

Anig2u
10-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I have been reading a lot of luanne rice lately...Romance lol. I have a Stephen King book called Four Past Midnight that I have been wanting to start, but I keep getting sidetracked. I also like all of Dean Koontz novels.

justme23
10-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Well since I haven't read the book I can't say. I remember watching it and I thought it was a really good movie, although I was quite young at the time. Tommy Lee Jones and Rosanne Arquette were good in it I thought. I might just rent it for the heck of it..since it's been such a long time, they have it at blockbuster online on DVD. I wouldn't read the book now..I like reading the book first then seeing the movie.

I haven't been able to find it on dvd but if blockbuster has it i'm sure it's out there somewhere. I'll keep lookinng.