PDA

View Full Version : Help for the helpless

lymi
09-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I work with a girl who has had many medical problems during her life. She is mentally challenged. She is 32 years old. She will do anything to get guys to accept her. I have worried about her a lot. She would show us bruises from her roommate. Will, her roommate went to prison for a year and a half last week for bad checks. So she had no where to stay. She walks everywhere she goes. So another girl I work with said she could stay with her for a week. But she needed money for food, etc. So she gave her $30 dollars, which was acceptable with the other girl. Well, come to find out, she is sending the rest of her paycheck to some guy. Last week, she was all excited because he was "getting out of the military", and she was gonna be late to work because he was coming to see her. He didn't show, said the airplane had mechanical problems. He'd be there in a couple days. Well, in a couple days, his grandma got sick, so he had to go stay with her. This guy is feeding her a line of bull and she is falling for it, and sending him all her money. She isn't even keeping enough for food for herself. I noticed she has been eating a lot at work (we are allowed to do that), but didn't know that was why.
I've been told there is not a thing we can do about it. She doesn't have the mental capability to understand what this guy is doing. Does anybody have any suggestions? It just makes me so mad that this guy is taking all she has. How low can a person be?

gmyers
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Are there any government organizations that could help her to manage her money and not give it to them. If I was her family I'd get a cop to maybe talk to the man and see if he can get him to stop taking advantage of her. Wheres her family? She needs a brother or uncle that can have a seriuos talk with this man or maybe take him out in the woods somewhere and persuade him to stop. If you know what I mean.

lymi
09-14-2009, 04:01 PM
We live in Texas. She says all her family is in Georgia. And she says she doesn't get along with her dad. She has nobody here. I worry that her family just doesn't want to deal with her. I just can't imanigine why they would let her move that far from home when she needs assistance. I wonder if MMHR would help her.

pepperpot
09-14-2009, 04:15 PM
That's sad.....does she go to church or anything? Does she receive any kind of disability? (If so, she might qualify for some help/counseling/guidance.) This just stinks, she really needs some good people around her to help her....:(

hblueeyes
09-14-2009, 04:21 PM
Some people suck

Me

gmyers
09-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Is it just me or will people do anything to get peoples money. They'll even cheat their parents and grandparents or anybody. Isn't there a scripture in the Bible about people scheming and dreaming up ways to separate people from their money. I believe I read that once.

Licchl05
09-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Wow, I can't even think of a word that fully describes how I feel about this guy taking advantage of this poor girl! Sounds like she needs someone to be her power of attorney/guardian. How someone can take advantage of someone who's mentally disabled and sleep at night is beyond me!

jerseybarb
09-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Is there an Adult Protective agency in town?

buglebe
09-14-2009, 07:55 PM
She doesn't have to be mentally slow to be taken into a situation like this, just lonely.

nightrider127
09-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Is it just me or will people do anything to get peoples money. They'll even cheat their parents and grandparents or anybody. Isn't there a scripture in the Bible about people scheming and dreaming up ways to separate people from their money. I believe I read that once.

As far as I am concerned, one of the Ten Commandments describe what this man is doing:

Thou shalt not steal.

jasmine
09-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Since you are concerned, have you asked your friend if you could stand in and personally call/talk to this man and have a heart to heart with him, for her???

buttrfli
09-15-2009, 04:44 AM
This is a 'sister' center to a group home in my town http://www.bhcmhmr.org/

Hopefully it covers the county you are in. Please give them a call and see what they suggest. They may be able to give this girl the proper guidance or at least tell you a place closer to your town.

You are a good friend to try to find some help :)

lymi
09-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Thank ya'll so much. And Butterfli, that place is in my town. It is the mmhr I was wondering about, just didn't realize that's who they are. I can't get there today, but I am hoping to go there tomorrow and talk to them. I thank you so much for the link. It hopefully got me on the right track. Some are telling me not to get involved. I just can't look the other way. Winter is coming soon, and I do not want her on the streets , hungry.