PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Oprah magazine subscription!!!

sandooch
09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I just received a letter from a collection agency saying I owe $15.00 for an Oprah magazine subscription. I didn't know whether to laugh or be upset while reading the letter.

I did one of those deals where you get 2 free issues and if you don't want to subscribe, you write CANCEL across the statement, which I did. I received one more issue after that (must have been sent out before they received my cancellation request) and that was it. That was something like 2 to 3 months ago.

Now I get this letter. I just emailed them back and explain it all to them. What a joke this is! I have never had a problem with any magazine in the past when doing this. I can't believe this even went to collections. I didn't even ask for a subscription. :getyou

Shann
09-12-2009, 03:59 PM
Wow I cannot believe that. The fact that after you sent the statement w/ cancel on it, you didn't receive anything else until now is a little bit much. I would call up the number on the collection notice and tell them you never had a subscription, you canceled it and they need to stop contacting you as it's not a valid debt. Make them prove that you got all issues and see what happens. :p Good luck.

freeby4me
09-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Holy cow, thats terrible. Yes, call the agency and see what you can do.

Just wondering but if you pay it, will it not show up on your credit reports at least?

sandooch
09-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I tried calling the number, but it is only an automated number to pay your bill and will not let me speak to anyone. They said on the letter that the way to dispute it was to email them. There is no way in Hell they are getting a penny out of me.

For years I've done magazine offers like this and have even forgotten to do the cancellation on the invoice a few times and never have I had it go to collections. For $15.00???

gmyers
09-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Thats why I don't do those magazine offers. Off topic but did anyone hear that Oprah's trying to decide if she's going to continue her show or not? I heard it on Showbiz tonight. I wonder if she will or not.

justme23
09-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Tv Guide did that to me once. I started writing return to sender and "asked for sample, not subscription" across the envie... They finally stopped sending me letters.

Anniston
09-13-2009, 04:49 PM
I hope it was not officially "in collections" and therefore will not be a bad mark on your credit report. For cancellations, I always call to cancel to make sure I get a rep's name, or a confirmation number.

freebielover
09-13-2009, 06:26 PM
How can they possibly send it to collections? For all they know someone else signed you up for it. I wouldn't worry about it.

Freebeemom
09-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Well, you know she probably needed help paying for that block party she just had dowtown. Unbelievable....

janelle
09-15-2009, 11:43 AM
I had a simular thing happen to me so I sure hope it doesn't reflect on my CC. The billled me for the mag----I never subscribed. Then I got a bill and I tried to inform them I never ordered the mag. It has a place on the email for a code and since I didn't have the mag I didn't have the code so I waited for it to come. They finally sent me a bill saying to pay and I was able to write back saying----I never subscribed. That ended it and I got one free mag.

Since that happened someone posted a 7 free issues and I sent for them. I am getting them but have not received a bill---keeping fingers crossed.

Yes, I heard Oprah's mag is not selling like it use to so I am sure that is why they are offering it for free for a limited time. I heard it was from her supporting Obama and people cancelled the mag and or stopped watching her show. I also think her show is not as good now---too much like Jerry Springer's now. I don't watch as much as I use to but then I am babysitting.

dinosmom
09-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, you know she probably needed help paying for that block party she just had dowtown. Unbelievable....

Dont even get me started on that!

Sandooch I hope you get it straightened out.

whatever
09-15-2009, 04:58 PM
BAd thing is it will go on your credit report now. If it were me I would be sending them a letter that I canceled it and it better get off my credit report.
I agree with gmyers that is why I NEVER do those freaking free scripts. Cause they figure they can get you like that. If I did I would make sure I typed a letter and MAILED it back (and made copies, dated etc.) saying I was canceling. I'm always better be safe than sorry type...
Good luck to you....

justme23
09-15-2009, 07:10 PM
BAd thing is it will go on your credit report now. If it were me I would be sending them a letter that I canceled it and it better get off my credit report.
I agree with gmyers that is why I NEVER do those freaking free scripts. Cause they figure they can get you like that. If I did I would make sure I typed a letter and MAILED it back (and made copies, dated etc.) saying I was canceling. I'm always better be safe than sorry type...
Good luck to you....

It didn't go on my credit when it happened to me... and you can always dispute it through the credit companies.

janelle
09-15-2009, 09:30 PM
The next big ticket item we buy will probably be a car in 4 years. I can see them coming back to us saying our credit is bad. I owe Oprah 13 dollars. LOL:rules

krisharry
09-16-2009, 09:30 AM
If they don't have your SSN, it can not go on your credit report. I would send them a registered letter w/the bill explaining the situation and demanding they resolve it. Then I wouldn't worry about it. Hopefully, they don't have your phone # to harass you with calls. If they do, then send a cease and desist letter.

sunniekiss
09-16-2009, 09:44 AM
They are just trying to bully you. They didn't see it to a collection agency. Debts are sold to collection agencies for 10 cents on the dollar so they sold it into collections for $1.50??? It isn't even worth a collecetion agency's time to bother with.

I had this happen to me with Glamour Magazine. I had a subscription for 2 years & decided to not renew but Glamour decided to renew it for me. I got a collection letter so I just sent them the $12 for the subscription & told them I did not want them to send me anymore magazines. They continued to send the magazines so I would send them right back. I would white-out my name & address & write Return To Sender so Glamour had to pay the return shipping.