PDA

View Full Version : Ellen DeGeneres Replacing Paula Abdul as New 'American Idol' Judge

speedygirl
09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
http://insidetv.aol.com/2009/09/09/ellen-degeneres-replacing-paula-abdul-as-new-american-idol-judge/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Finsidetv.aol.com%2F200 9%2F09%2F09%2Fellen-degeneres-replacing-paula-abdul-as-new-american-idol-judge%2F

Your new 'American Idol' judge is ... Ellen DeGeneres!

Taking the seat left empty after Paula Abdul ended her 'Idol' contract over salary disputes this summer, DeGeneres will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi on the show's judging panel for the ninth season, premiering January 2010, in addition to continuing her daytime hosting gig. (Wonder who'll get the eliminated 'Idol' contestants to chat first now ...)

Always the comedian, DeGeneres said: "I'm thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol.' I've watched since the beginning, and I've always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I'll save from not having to text in my vote."

Her new boss seems pretty thrilled with the change as well. "I could not be more excited to have Ellen join the 'American Idol' family," creator and executive producer Simon Fuller declared. "Ellen has been a fan of the show for many years, and her love of music and understanding of the American public will bring a unique human touch to our judging panel. I can't wait for this next season to begin."

This summer, DeGeneres brought her charm and quick wit to the judging panel on 'So You Think You Can Dance,' 'Idol''s dancing cousin. We can't wait to see her bring that same brand of genuine feedback and care for the hopeful singers on 'Idol' -- everything seems a little better with Ellen, don't you think?

Shortly after Fox sent out their press release, Ellen was given the go-ahead to Tweet the news and post this video message on her site:

DBackFan
09-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I read that this morning. I truly LOVE Ellen but I don't know if thats a good fit on AI. I guess we will see. She really has no musical background at all just a big reality TV fan.

lucimPI
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
IMHO she was a washout on "So you think you can dance." I like to hear some honest answers and constructive answers, all I heard from her was jokes. I was not at all impressed. I shudder to hear what she has to say to the people on "AI." I like Ellen very much, on her show she is excellent but for anything else, I am sorry but I don't think I will be able to hack it.

Anniston
09-13-2009, 05:11 PM
She may end up being a good fit because they have that other female judge. So between her and Ellen, there will be female constructive criticism and humor. One thing that will be very different is that Simon and Ellen will not have the same type of banter between them as Paula and Simon did.

I don't watch the show, but DH and DS love it, so I listen to it!

madie
09-14-2009, 02:40 PM
time will tell - it could work out great if she balances the jokes with real views, she stated that she usually agreed with Simon but thought he was too harsh so I guess we will find out!