PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster divers

Quaker_Parrots
09-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Just let me state I have no problem with dumpster diving in general, IF the things being taken arent in garbage bags. Heck if I am tossing something good, I put it to the side for the divers. That being said...

My community has dumpster to put our trash in. I did some spring cleaning today and had a bunch of personal stuff in garbage bags to toss. I took it down to the dumpsters and there was an older couple there digging through the trash including tearing open trash bags.

I drove on through and made a circle to see if they would leave. They didnt so I decided to get rid of my garbage anyway.

I pull up and start unloading. And the man had the nerve to ask me if I lived there. And I guess I must have had a put out voice, because when I said "Yes I do, for 8 years" because he said "you dont have to be smart about it" and that really ticked me off so I replied "I just dont like dumping my garbage when people are digging through it and tearing open bags of my personal stuff"

I guess he must have gotten the hint because him and his wife left without another word.

I normally dont cop attitudes with people, but, I was tired and really thought his wife was extremely rude because she gauked at me the whole time.

The worst part about the whole thing is that we get letters about our garbage not being bagged properly and told that we will get fines if they find our stuff around the dumpsters. So these people tearing into the bags risk us getting in trouble for something we dont do. My husband was so mad about the whole deal that he has decided to start pouring grease on our bags to keep them out of them.

Thanks for listening, lol, it feels kinda nice to get my frustration out.

gmyers
09-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I guess I definitely need to watch what goes in my bags. Make sure I don't put anything in there thats personal. You never know if they're looking for stuff or trying to get peoples account information for identity theft.

Jenefer3
09-07-2009, 07:29 PM
for personal papers, a shredder is a great investment. Everything we have that has anything remotely close to personal information goes through it.

We have personal garbage cans and one night I heard this noise in my backyard and someone was digging through it looking for pop cans. He'd already pulled them out of the recycling can and was going through the garbage. I called the cops, he was on my property at around 1:30 am, and they made him leave but oh my gosh, he left such a mess all over the place.

I know that people are going to dig through garbage regardless of what I say so anything that's of any value gets donated, food garbage goes in the garbage, and the rest is recycled, but paper is always shredded.

BeanieLuvR
09-07-2009, 08:31 PM
That is just disgusting tearing open garbage bags. I can see if stuff is set out at the curb itself or in an open box picking up something good but that is about it. Our favorite rocking chair came from the curb. I would never think of opening a garbage can to look in it. We shread any personal papers. We save our cans and turn in ourselves. Our recyclables go in clear bags and our garbage in black bags. I feel sorry for anyone who would go through our black bags because they are gross.

kelblend
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
I watched people going through a man's trash. He came out and asked them not to tear open the bags and leave what they didn't want on the ground. As soon as he went in, they threw the bags into his neighbor's yard. Really strange. If you're going to do it, at least be considerate.

iluvmybaby
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Next time you see them going thru your trash call the police, thats nuts!

Quaker_Parrots
09-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Next time you see them going thru your trash call the police, thats nuts!

The only problem with that is that they live here too, so the dumpsters are theirs too. I think the next time, I might get a tag # and report them to the community manager.

Papers are shredded regardless. It is just the fact that are digging through stuff that I didnt intend to be shared. That is why it is in the black bags. It isnt anything illegal or anything but I just feel so violated to see someone opening one of my bags. What I do throw away is none of their business.

They tear the bags open and spread everything everywhere. It is just so disgusting. If they were doing it on my lawn, I would definately call the police.

klutzie56
09-08-2009, 07:01 AM
If anyone starts going thru my trash in the container I pay rent on, I will start putting my dog doo doo in it. :)

cabby92
09-08-2009, 07:38 AM
The only thing that goes through our trash is a big black bear. He won't clean up after himself either.

sdb_ngc
09-08-2009, 07:57 AM
I shred all personal stuff and place them in a garbage bag and then I pour bleach all inside the bag. This has really deterred people from tearing and digging through my garbage. They used to rip open the bags and leave stuff where it just so happened to fall.

iluvmybaby
09-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I see it is a large communal trash can. That is so gross, I can not imagine. I have picked up lamps and furniture BESIDE the trash cans, but would not dive IN the dumpster.

cathych
09-08-2009, 08:36 AM
I know that a lot of people dumpster dive, and I know that sometimes they may get some good stuff, but I would never (unless I was completely desperate) go through garbage.

sunniekiss
09-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Next time you see them doing that take a picture of them in the dumpster along with a picture of their car. I shudder to even think about going through my OWN garbage & I know what is in my car. (stinky cat liter)

whatever
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree with the couple of posters I read about NOT putting anything in your garbage that contains personal info about your banking, cc info etc. ESP. SS #. NO matter what their age AnYONE can steal your identity. NO ONE Is too old to do it. Tearing open bags to find stuff seems odd to me?
But i'm not big on dumpster diving for myself so ......
I burn or shred AnYTHING that contains anything with personal info!! You can NEVER, EVER be to careful these days.

whatever
09-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Next time you see them doing that take a picture of them in the dumpster along with a picture of their car. I shudder to even think about going through my OWN garbage & I know what is in my car. (stinky cat liter)

just read your post, that ends up in ours sometimes (stinky litter I mean). lol

gmyers
09-08-2009, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't want to be crawling around in the dumpster because of the maggots in there. Man just thinking of it makes my skin crawl. Gross.

Zenngrl
09-11-2009, 10:48 AM
If anyone starts going thru my trash in the container I pay rent on, I will start putting my dog doo doo in it. :)

I was going to suggest bloody tampons. But that is just me.

Anniston
09-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I was "lucky" I guess, as I learned the lesson early about putting personal papers in the garbage not torn up. I was 19 and the apartment complex I lived in had a maintenance man that would literally go through the dumpsters and open bags to make sure that we were recycling. And fines were issued if we were found to be in violation. Looking back on it, I am wondering if that was even legal for them to do? I doubt it but I wasn't smart enough to think about that at the time.

YankeeMary
09-13-2009, 05:52 PM
I like the idea of taking their pic. Even if you do nothing with the picture it will freak them out. Hey if they can dig in your trash then you can take their pic. Isn't it great living in a free country?

BTW I would be ticked with them also. I would also talk to the management like you stated. If nothing else maybe they will post a sign asking people to stay out of the trash!