PDA

View Full Version : I thought "Danny" was retired ?

Jolie Rouge
08-25-2009, 01:22 PM
The list of storm names brings "Danny" up next in the list for Atlantic storms ...

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
200 PM EDT TUE AUG 25 2009

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC, CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO.

1. AN AREA OF DISTURBED WEATHER ASSOCIATED WITH A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE INTERACTING WITH AN UPPER-LEVEL LOW IS CENTERED ABOUT 325 MILES NORTH-NORTHEAST OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO. THIS SYSTEM CONTINUES TO SHOW SOME SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION...AND UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE FORECAST TO BECOME MORE CONDUCIVE FOR DEVELOPMENT DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO AS THE SYSTEM MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AROUND 20 MPH. THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE...GREATER THAN 50 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL DEPRESSION OR TROPICAL STORM DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. A RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED TO INVESTIGATE THE AREA LATER THIS AFTERNOON. INTERESTS IN THE BAHAMAS SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

2. THE BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE LOCATED OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA THIS MORNING HAS MOVED INLAND OVER CENTRAL AMERICA. THIS SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE LOCALLY HEAVY RAINFALL OVER PORTIONS OF CENTRAL AMERICA DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO AS IT MOVES WESTWARD INTO THE EASTERN PACIFIC OCEAN.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo_atl.shtml

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo/two_atl.gif

krisharry
08-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I hate hurricane season.

SLance68
08-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Danny has been used before but they don't retire names unless it was a pretty bad storm and usually has deaths attached to the storm name.

I am with you Krisharry I hate hurricane season.

ElleGee
08-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I saw on the weather channel that they circulate the names like every 7 years or so

Jolie Rouge
08-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Tropical Storm Danny forms in the Atlantic
Associated Press (AP)
Published: Aug 26, 2009 - UPDATED: 11:35 a.m.

MIAMI (AP) -- Tropical Storm Danny has formed in the open Atlantic off the Bahamas, and forecasters say it could get stronger as it moves toward the U.S.

The storm has top winds of 45 mph and is moving to the west-northwest at 18 mph. As of 11 a.m. EDT Wednesday, the storm's center was about 445 miles (715 kilometers) east of Nassau, Bahamas and about 775 miles (1,250 kilometers) south of Cape Hatteras, N.C.

The current forecast has the storm on a path to clip the U.S. East Coast over the weekend, but a storm's track can be difficult to predict days in advance. People in the Bahamas and the southeastern U.S. are advised to monitor the storm.

Meanwhile, far out in the Pacific, Tropical Storm Ignacio has weakened as it moves northwest with top winds of 45 mph.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/55039262.html

suzski
08-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm supposed to fly out for vacation @ 8:45 am....45 minutes after the storm tracker has Danny off the Virginia coast (i.e., within a little over a 100 miles from the airport). Luckily our flight is a direct one so if (when) we're delayed we'll still get to our destination without tooooo much hassle.

Definitely hope Danny stays out to sea as to not impact property and lives along the coast.

galeane29
08-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Oh good grief! I hate hate hate hurricane season!

Jolie Rouge
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb_latest/refresh/danger_atl_latestBW_sm2+gif/143059123_sm.gif

Hope you have a safe trip Suzski !

speedygirl
08-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Ugh. I'm leaving for Philly on Saturday morning. Doesn't look too good. :( I don't think I'm going to like this trip. DS is moving from MA to PA and everything's set for this weekend.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT05/refresh/AL0509W5_NL+gif/143059W5_NL_sm.gif

Jolie Rouge
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Yuck .... we will keep you in our prayers...

Secretly we are saying "whew" and watching the next storm that is feeding the pipeline ...

A TROPICAL WAVE LOCATED JUST SOUTHEAST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS OVER THE FAR EASTERN ATLANTIC IS PRODUCING AN AREA OF DISORGANIZED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. CONDITIONS APPEAR FAVORABLE FOR SOME SLOW DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. THERE IS A LOW CHANCE...LESS THAN 30 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWOAT+shtml/261739.shtml

SHELBYDOG
08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Well the plus for me is that I'm on the Gulf Coast with all hurricane shutters up, except the sliders to the pool area. This is my 1st hurricane season ever, so I'm a bit nervous being 2 streets away from the Gulf of Mexico.
We leave 2morrow morning for Gatlinburg, TN so I'm in the clear for the next 5 days. Everyone stay safe & I hope all trips planned aren't disrupted.......

Jolie Rouge
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Shelby, to welcome you to the Hurricane Culture; I humbly present :

You Might Live On The Gulf Coast If…

You have FEMA’s number on your speed dialer.

You have more than 300 ‘C’ and ‘D’ batteries in your kitchen drawer.

Your pantry contains more than 20 cans of Spaghetti Os.

You are thinking of repainting your house to match the plywood covering your windows.

When describing your house to a prospective buyer, you say it has three bedrooms, two baths, and one safe hallway.

Your SSN isn’t a secret, it’s written in Sharpie on your arms.

You are on a first-name basis with the cashier at Home Depot.

You are delighted to pay $5 for a gallon of regular unleaded.

The road leading to your house has been declared a ‘No-Wake Zone.’

You decide that your patio furniture looks better on the bottom of the pool.

You own more than three large coolers.

You can wish that other people get hit by a hurricane and not feel the least bit guilty about it. ( Sorry Speedy ... )

You rationalize helping a friend board up by thinking, “It’ll only take a gallon of gas to get there and back.”

You have 2-liter coke bottles and milk jugs filled with water in your freezer.

Three months ago you couldn’t hang a shower curtain; today you can assemble a portable generator by candlelight.

You catch a 13-pound redfish —- in your driveway.

You can recite from memory whole portions of your homeowner’s insurance policy.

At cocktail parties, women are attracted to the guy with the biggest chainsaw.

You have had tuna fish more than 5 days in a row.

There is a roll of tar paper in your garage.

You can rattle off the names of three or more meteorologists who work at the Weather Channel and every single newscaster and reporter at all of the major stations in town.

Someone comes to your door to tell you they found your roof.

Ice is a valid topic of conversation.

Your “drive-thru” meal consists of MRE’s and bottled water.

Relocating to South Dakota does not seem like such a crazy idea.

You spend more time on your roof then in your living room.

You’ve been laughed at over the phone by a roofer, fence builder, or a tree worker.

You don’t worry about relatives wanting to visit during the summer.

Your child’s first words are “hunker down” and you didn’t go to Ole Miss!

Having a tree in your living room does not necessarily mean it’s Christmas.

You know the difference between the “good side” of a storm and the “bad side.”

Your kids start school in August and finish in July.

You go to work early and stay late just to enjoy the air conditioning.

You get phone calls from family members saying they’ve found bread at a store 6 miles away… and you hurry to get there.

You wait in line for 45 minutes for a loaf of bread and don’t mind because at least you have bread.

Locating bread, batteries or ice iniciates a "phone tree"

A battery powered TV is considered a home entertainment center.

TP is recognised as "coin of the realm"

( If any of these need expaining ... don't be afraid to "axe" )

SHELBYDOG
08-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks Jolie, I'm LMAO but I really shouldn't be. My electric has gone out 3 times tonight so far & the dog & cat are snuggling me to the point that I'm now sweating.
This house is 6yrs old & I'm 3 miles from where ground zero was (Matlacha) for Hurricane Charley in '04. We found a receipt in the drawer for the new pool enclosure after Charley, so I feel fairly safe I guess. Actually I feel like I'm in a bomb shelter with these steel shutters all up, but we've been traveling to much not to have them up just in case something happens & we're not here.

I do have 3 large coolers, maybe 20 D batteries, filled my hurricane lamp tonight with oil & have to get more batteries & candles yet. Don't have much to lose in the fridge right now so no frozen water jugs, I have canned goods, manuel can openers & plenty of propane for the grill. I'm a rookie & know I need many more things like a cash stash, just haven't settled in completely yet......
Thanks for the reminders on what I still need.

speedygirl
08-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I noticed that the map has updated and we're definitely in the path. Damn.

Jolie Rouge
08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON TROPICAL STORM DANNY...LOCATED ABOUT 550 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA.

...CENTER OF DANNY WOBBLES WESTWARD...
11:00 AM EDT Thu Aug 27
Max sustained: 60 mph
Moving: NW at 13 mph
Min pressure: 1006 mb

A TROPICAL WAVE IS LOCATED OVER THE FAR EASTERN ATLANTIC OCEAN ABOUT 350 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. THE ASSOCIATED SHOWER ACTIVITY CONTINUES TO SHOW SIGNS OF ORGANIZATION...AND SLOW DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS AS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. THERE IS A MEDIUM CHANCE... 30 TO 50 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS. :shriek:

If this one forms up, it will be Erika. Labor Day Hurricannes do not bode well for the Gulf Coast.

Enjoy Tn, Shelby ... we'll keep a light on ....