PDA

View Full Version : Our wonderful government run healthcare in action. Vets wrongly told they have fatal disease

janelle
08-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Group: Vets wrongly told they have fatal disease
By P.J. DICKERSCHEID
Associated Press Writer

Former Air Force reservist Gale Reid received a letter from the Veterans Affairs Department that told her she had Lou Gehrig's disease, and she immediately put herself through a battery of painful, expensive tests. Five days later, the VA said its "diagnosis" was a mistake.

Letters were sent to 1,864 veterans about disability benefits for those with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, and a "small number" have contacted the VA indicating they received the letters in error, VA spokeswoman Katie Roberts said Monday night.

However, the National Gulf War Resource Center said Reid was among at least 1,200 veterans who received the letter, even though they hadn't been diagnosed with the illness. Veterans were initially suspicious, but still went through the pain not knowing whether they had the degenerative disease, which typically kills people within five years.

The Resource Center said at least 2,500 letters informing veterans of disability benefits for ALS sufferers were sent, with almost half a mistake. Roberts said the number sent was not that high and that only less than 10 people had called to say they had gotten an ALS benefits letter but didn't have the disease.

The veterans group president Jim Bunker said it stood by its figures.

Those who received the letters have undiagnosed neurological disorders, according to the Gulf War veterans group, which provides information, support and referrals about illnesses to people who served in the military.

No one knows for sure exactly how many letters were mailed to veterans treated at VA hospitals and how many were a mistake.

"VA is immediately reviewing the individual claims files for all the recipients of this letter to identify those who received the notification in error," the VA said in a statement Monday night.

Former Army Sgt. Samuel Hargrove cried Sunday after opening his letter.

"I can't even describe the intensity of my feelings," said the father of two from Henderson, N.C. "With so many health issues that I already have, I didn't know how to approach my family with the news."

So, at first, he didn't. Hargrove later discovered the mistake after talking with fellow veterans in the resource center and online. He was angry, as is Reid.

"I've been through a week of hell, emotionally, physically and financially," she said.

Denise Nichols, vice president of the resource center, said her group has received calls and e-mails from panicked veterans in Alabama, Florida, Kansas, North Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming.

"Our fear was this could push somebody over the edge," said Nichols, who worried the news could lead already fragile veterans to commit suicide. "We don't want that to happen."

Jim Bunker, president of the veterans group, said he talked to someone at the VA and was told the mistake was caused by a coding error. The VA uses more than 8,000 codes for various diseases and illnesses and veterans with undiagnosed neurological disorders, which can range from mild to severe.

ALS is a rapidly progressive disease that attacks the nerve cells responsible for controlling voluntary muscles.

Nichols said she suspected something was amiss because some of the veterans she knew who received the letters did not exhibit any symptoms. Hargrove said he became suspicious because the letter didn't come from his doctor, and Reid said she sought a second opinion even though she believed the letter wasn't the right way to inform patients of a diagnosis.

The veterans groups notified the VA of the problems late last week, and the agency was in the process of calling every person who mistakenly received a letter, Bunker said.

The VA has taken some heavy criticism already this year. In June, Congress questioned the agency over botched colonoscopies at medical centers in Florida, Georgia and Tennessee that may have exposed 10,000 veterans to HIV and other infections. Last month, the VA Medical Center in Philadelphia disclosed that the number of cancer patients receiving incorrect radiation doses had risen to 98 veterans over a six-year period.

The Gulf War veterans group is urging the VA to reimburse any veteran who scheduled additional tests with civilian doctors. Reid said her tests cost about $3,000, though it may take weeks before she finds out how much her private insurance will cover.

"We are trying to work with the VA because we realize it was an error and they were trying to do something right for the people who were diagnosed with ALS," Nichols said. "Basically this was a good effort that ended badly."

Posted on Mon, Aug. 24, 2009 01:02 PM

hesnothere
08-25-2009, 10:23 AM
The VA has been like this since forever, where have you been? They pretty much killed my one brother and the other has been sick ever since he returned from Nam.

janelle
08-25-2009, 10:25 AM
So I know, let's make the whole healthcare system just like this.

gmyers
08-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah can you imagine the government trying to keep up with healthcare for everybody when they can't keep up with who's on it now.

jasmine
08-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah can you imagine the government trying to keep up with healthcare for everybody when they can't keep up with who's on it now.

good point

Jolie Rouge
08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
The VA has been like this since forever, where have you been? They pretty much killed my one brother and the other has been sick ever since he returned from Nam.

B I N G O !

That is exactly our point. They have mismanaged and abused the VA; IA, Medicare/Medicaid systems for years .... WHY give over the entire healthcare system .. a third of our nations economy to screw up when they can't handle the smaller numbers they have mess up for all these years. Fix the systems they control first ... then try to handle the larger numbers and responsiblities

Jolie Rouge
08-25-2009, 11:39 AM
More on "Our wonderful government run healthcare in action..."

Wednesday, August 19, 2009
VA bureaucrats to veterans: Maybe you'd be better off dead

This is simply evil.

The Death Book for Veterans by Jim Towey
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204683204574358590107981718.html

If President Obama wants to better understand why America's discomfort with end-of-life discussions threatens to derail his health-care reform, he might begin with his own Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). He will quickly discover how government bureaucrats are greasing the slippery slope that can start with cost containment but quickly become a systematic denial of care.

Last year, bureaucrats at the VA's National Center for Ethics in Health Care advocated a 52-page end-of-life planning document, "Your Life, Your Choices" It was first published in 1997 and later promoted as the VA's preferred living will throughout its vast network of hospitals and nursing homes. After the Bush White House took a look at how this document was treating complex health and moral issues, the VA suspended its use.

Unfortunately, under President Obama, the VA has now resuscitated "Your Life, Your Choices."

Who is the primary author of this workbook? Dr. Robert Pearlman, chief of ethics evaluation for the center, a man who in 1996 advocated for physician-assisted suicide in Vacco v. Quill before the U.S. Supreme Court and is known for his support of health-care rationing.

"Your Life, Your Choices" presents end-of-life choices in a way aimed at steering users toward predetermined conclusions, much like a political "push poll." For example, a worksheet on page 21 lists various scenarios and asks users to then decide whether their own life would be "not worth living."

The circumstances listed include ones common among the elderly and disabled: living in a nursing home, being in a wheelchair and not being able to "shake the blues." There is a section which provocatively asks, "Have you ever heard anyone say, 'If I'm a vegetable, pull the plug'?" There also are guilt-inducing scenarios such as "I can no longer contribute to my family's well being," "I am a severe financial burden on my family" and that the vet's situation "causes severe emotional burden for my family."

When the government can steer vulnerable individuals to conclude for themselves that life is not worth living, who needs a death panel?

One can only imagine a soldier surviving the war in Iraq and returning without all of his limbs only to encounter a veteran's health-care system that seems intent on his surrender.

I was not surprised to learn that the VA panel of experts that sought to update "Your Life, Your Choices" between 2007-2008 did not include any representatives of faith groups or disability rights advocates. And as you might guess, only one organization was listed in the new version as a resource on advance directives: the Hemlock Society (now euphemistically known as "Compassion and Choices").

This hurry-up-and-die message is clear and unconscionable. Worse, a July 2009 VA directive instructs its primary care physicians to raise advance care planning with all VA patients and to refer them to "Your Life, Your Choices." Not just those of advanced age and debilitated condition—all patients. America's 24 million veterans deserve better.

Many years ago I created an advance care planning document called "Five Wishes" that is today the most widely used living will in America, with 13 million copies in national circulation. Unlike the VA's document, this one does not contain the standard bias to withdraw or withhold medical care. It meets the legal requirements of at least 43 states, and it runs exactly 12 pages.

After a decade of observing end-of-life discussions, I can attest to the great fear that many patients have, particularly those with few family members and financial resources. I lived and worked in an AIDS home in the mid-1980s and saw first-hand how the dying wanted more than health care—they wanted someone to care.

If President Obama is sincere in stating that he is not trying to cut costs by pressuring the disabled to forgo critical care, one good way to show that commitment is to walk two blocks from the Oval Office and pull the plug on "Your Life, Your Choices." He should make sure in the future that VA decisions are guided by values that treat the lives of our veterans as gifts, not burdens. [emphasis added]

Mr. Towey, president of Saint Vincent College, was director of the White House Office of Faith-Based Initiatives (2002-2006) and founder of the nonprofit Aging with Dignity.

I'd like to know exactly who is responsible for bringing this pamphlet back after the Bush admin removed it. Is there a Death Czar? I mean, a Death Czar per se?

Haven't looked at the whole thing yet, but see page 21: "What makes your life worth living?"

a. I can no longer walk but get around in a wheelchair.
b. I can no longer get outside—I spend all day at home.
c. I can no longer contribute to my family's well being.
d. I am in severe pain most of the time.
e. I have severe discomfort most of the time (such as
nausea, diarrhea, or shortness of breath).
f. I rely on a feeding tube to keep me alive.
g. I rely on a kidney dialysis machine to keep me alive.
h. I rely on a breathing machine to keep me alive.
i. I need someone to help take care of me all of time.
j. I can no longer control my bladder.
k. I can no longer control my bowels.
l. I live in a nursing home.
m. I can no longer think clearly-I am confused all the time.
n. I can no longer recognize family/friends
o. I can no longer talk and be understood by others.
p. My situation causes severe emotional burden for my
family (such as feeling worried or stressed all the time).
q. I am a severe financial burden on my family.
r. I cannot seem to “shake the blues.”

To the right of these statements is the heading, "Life like this would be:" and the choices:

difficult but acceptable
worth living, but just barely
not worth living
can't answer now

At the bottom of the page:

If you checked "worth living, but just barely" for more than one factor, would a combination of these factors make your life "not worth living?" If so, which factors?

If you checked "not worth living," does this mean that you would rather die than be kept alive?

I don't know whether to cry or be sick.

Comments welcome

http://www.punditandpundette.com/2009/08/va-bureaucrats-to-veterans-maybe-youd.html

gmyers
08-25-2009, 12:23 PM
They said the vets were really upset about that being on the veterans website. Shoot they might as well say you're a burden on the system and your families so you ought to choose not to continue treatment.

Bahet
08-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Government healthcare does leave a lot to be desired. People should have the option. If they lose their insurance they should be able to have government insurance to fall back on rather than having to pay thousands of $$ each month for COBRA or private insurance or just go without and hope and pray that no one gets sick.

Medicare does suck. Tricare sucks. The VA sucks. That said does anyone know of any soldier or retiree who will volunteer to be the first one to give it up if they don't have anything else? I don't.

krisharry
08-25-2009, 12:30 PM
More on "Our wonderful government run healthcare in action..."

Wednesday, August 19, 2009
VA bureaucrats to veterans: Maybe you'd be better off dead

This is simply evil.

The Death Book for Veterans by Jim Towey
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204683204574358590107981718.html

I don't know whether to cry or be sick.

Comments welcome

http://www.punditandpundette.com/2009/08/va-bureaucrats-to-veterans-maybe-youd.html

This utterly disgusts me. Now I fully support a person's right to die w/dignity and end their life if they choose. However, this is unacceptable. But, it doesn't surprise me. The gov't has always treated our service men and women and veterans as if they are worthless anyway. But to try and make someone feel guilty for choosing to stay alive. How dare they? Perhaps, our politicans should be asked these types of questions before they receive lifesaving treatment? I am completely outraged.

pepperpot
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Government healthcare does leave a lot to be desired. People should have the option. If they lose their insurance they should be able to have government insurance to fall back on rather than having to pay thousands of $$ each month for COBRA or private insurance or just go without and hope and pray that no one gets sick.

Medicare does suck. Tricare sucks. The VA sucks. That said does anyone know of any soldier or retiree who will volunteer to be the first one to give it up if they don't have anything else? I don't.

The problem there is those who will chose the government insurance (the cheaper option) will want the same coverage/procedures/etc. as the other or they cry 'discrimination'.....so the government will be forced to have the 'superior' services available to all.

The old proverb of 'ya get what ya pay for' doesn't apply in healthcare as people see every medical procedure as a 'right' that the government should supply.

Bahet
08-25-2009, 01:25 PM
The problem there is those who will chose the government insurance (the cheaper option) will want the same coverage/procedures/etc. as the other or they cry 'discrimination'.....so the government will be forced to have the 'superior' services available to all.

The old proverb of 'ya get what ya pay for' doesn't apply in healthcare as people see every medical procedure as a 'right' that the government should supply.

Let 'em cry. There are those who whine no matter what anyhow. As long as the govt healthcare is adequate and available to everyone whether they choose to take it or not there can be no legitimate claims of discrimination.

janelle
08-25-2009, 06:32 PM
m. I can no longer think clearly-I am confused all the time

Now if that question does not show how stupid and out of it our government is, I don't know what would. Asking a question like that that cannot be answered by the person who is taking it. HERE IS A CLUE---IF YOU CANNOT THINK CLEARLY OR CONFUSED ALL THE TIME you cannot answer a questionnaire.

Yes, I can no longer think clearly so my answers here are exactly what I want to do with my life. I think the government is confused all the time.

Just another example to keep bureaucrats away from me and my families' health care.