PDA

View Full Version : School (not really a V&W, more of a complaint)

ilikefree
08-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Our school started yesterday. I have a junior and a 4th grader. Ryan (the 4th grader) brought home a fundraiser already! I see nothing wrong with fundraisers, but to send them home on the 1st day of school?! And what they are using the funds for isn't till the end of the year. They are buying trophies and awards for awards night in May. And so another year begins.

gmyers
08-25-2009, 05:42 AM
It really sounds like schools don't have nearly enough money anymore. And I agree with you thats ridiculous to do a fund raiser on the first day of school.

iluvmybaby
08-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Isn't it funny, a school gets X amount of money from the state per student and yet they never have any money? It certainly isn't going to teachers salaries, which are still super low

ilikefree
08-25-2009, 06:43 AM
I agree. I could see if they were going to use the profits for an immediate need, but to use it for awards at the end of the year? Geesh!

Bizzimommi
08-25-2009, 07:05 AM
The first day of school?!? WOW! Isn't paying school fees and adding school lunches back into the budgets enough for the first day of school!

I remember one day last year I opened my sons folder and about passed out! There was 5 different papers asking for money all at one time. They wanted yearbook money, fundraiser, spirit wear, sports fees, and more all on the same day. Good Grief!

fleabones3
08-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Omg that is just crazy. My daughter's $5 planner got stolen already, so I guess I have to shell out another 5 to get her another one... ugh

teenap
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I already received a request from my cousin in South Carolina
the stuff is darn pricey

krisharry
08-25-2009, 11:32 AM
We got our fundraiser stuff before school started at the open house night last week. Plus on tiop of asking us to do the fundraiser the schools are asking flat out for a cash donation to the school, recommended amount$30 per student. They are getting out of hand.

Jenefer3
08-25-2009, 11:44 AM
In a way, I can kind of see doing a fundraiser first thing, especially if it's for the end of the year stuff so they can see how much more money they might need to raise.

Personally I hate fundraisers but will always buy something, thankfully they usually do the cookie dough or plants at some point so I buy that stuff.

Our school hasn't started yet, but I'm waiting to see what they send home and ask for.

pepperpot
08-25-2009, 11:51 AM
The ones who make the money in a 'fund raiser' are the people supplying the product.....the amount the school/institution get is minimal and the products are usually garbage.

I'd rather just make a donation to the school/institution than be saddled with the crap and making my relatives/neighbors be saddled with the overpriced crap. JMHO

BTW I'm all for bake sales......

krisharry
08-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Well, the elementary school is doing the entertainment books which there is really nothing near me in it that I would use. The middleschool is doing the usual garbage wrapping paper, overpriced gifts. So i think I will just make a onetime cash donation to each school and be done with it.

poggles3
08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
My son just started back today, if theres fundraiser papers in his folder at 4 when his bus runs they will go back to school with him tomorrow blank. They want to do something new here for our sports programs, trying to get it instituted now, called pay to play, not only do we have to pay for uniforms, transportation, awards, etc they now want an actual fee to play the sport. I guess volunteer coaches arent enough for the schools here now, I swear I cant tell my child NOT to play 2 sports but damnit I'm going to have to take out a loan for everything they want before its over with! And this is public school, not smaller private schools this is county wide they want to add this fee to all sports.

Urban Cowgirl
08-25-2009, 12:21 PM
We got our fundraiser stuff before school started at the open house night last week. Plus on tiop of asking us to do the fundraiser the schools are asking flat out for a cash donation to the school, recommended amount$30 per student. They are getting out of hand.

Us too, but in their defense.... I know around here you almost have to beat the other local schools. One good thing for us is that our school has done several a year in the past. This year we are going to do two & hope that it works out better. I know last year I got tired of asking people. Plus she has them for scouts and cheering too & my little one has them for Early Headstart. People see me coming and think "what is she selling now?"

Our school does use the money to pay for most fieldtrips, they do some pretty pricey ones wit older students and they won't ask the parents to pay.

Urban Cowgirl
08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
The ones who make the money in a 'fund raiser' are the people supplying the product.....the amount the school/institution get is minimal and the products are usually garbage.

I'd rather just make a donation to the school/institution than be saddled with the crap and making my relatives/neighbors be saddled with the overpriced crap. JMHO

BTW I'm all for bake sales......

I am sure most schools would gladly acccept. I don't know about other schools, but our supply budget was cut 70% this year....I am amazed that I was not given a list of stuff I had to buy!

hotwheelstx
08-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Donation, donation, donation. All the "fundraisers" are fairly high and I hate asking my friends, family to buy stuff for my nieces and nephew. We all donate a little something. Nieces and nephew are more excited about the $$$. Rather than asking everyone to look thru books, magazines trying to find something affordable.

For kindergarten last year from family and friends my oldest niece collected over $300.00 for a school trip. With that they were able to buy better snacks, drinks for the kids and go on 2 field trips instead of just one. She loved it and was so very proud.

krisharry
08-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Us too, but in their defense.... I know around here you almost have to beat the other local schools. One good thing for us is that our school has done several a year in the past. This year we are going to do two & hope that it works out better. I know last year I got tired of asking people. Plus she has them for scouts and cheering too & my little one has them for Early Headstart. People see me coming and think "what is she selling now?"

Our school does use the money to pay for most fieldtrips, they do some pretty pricey ones wit older students and they won't ask the parents to pay.

Oh, I understand the need for fundraising. However, I just won't ask family/friends to buy overpriced items when such a small percentage goes to the school and kids. I would rather do a cash donation. Also, our school does rest. nights where a certain percentage of what you spend goes to the school. At least that way, we are getting a good meal. Whatever, happened to selling candy. When I was in school, we sold huge boxes of m&m's for $1 a box and 50 cents of that went to us. That I could handle. Asking someone to buy a $10 roll of wrapping paper where the school may get only the 5o cents isn't going to happen.

Urban Cowgirl
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh, I understand the need for fundraising. However, I just won't ask family/friends to buy overpriced items when such a small percentage goes to the school and kids. I would rather do a cash donation. Also, our school does rest. nights where a certain percentage of what you spend goes to the school. At least that way, we are getting a good meal. Whatever, happened to selling candy. When I was in school, we sold huge boxes of m&m's for $1 a box and 50 cents of that went to us. That I could handle. Asking someone to buy a $10 roll of wrapping paper where the school may get only the 5o cents isn't going to happen.

Wow I know that the wrapping paper is overpriced, the one we sell is too, but at least the school gets 40%. I wish our school would allow candy bar sales. Last year I renewed my all you through the school it was $20 for 2 years and $8 of that went to the school. People are not big on donations around here, they seem to want to get something for their money. It would thrill my school if I could get $200 in donations rather than $200 in orders, that way they could keep the whole amount. LOL

lisarae
08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Our kids is on the start of the 3rd week. They got fundraisers last week. They get incentives to sell too. They sell 6 they get pencil/pen. (WOW). They sell 12, they get to go to a jump party. 20 they get all of the above and get into a money machine, or shoot ball into basket for cash. From $5 to $1000 I believe. The fundraiser is the same ole stuff. Wrapping paper, candy, pricey knickknack gifts. They are also some engravable things you order online, and some magazines, which aren't a bad price, but you can find cheaper of course.
So instead of selling so the kids can do a party, I will take them to a pizza game place here called Mr Gattis, much cheaper than buying from there anyway.
My son plays fall baseball, football, and is starting Taiko (a drum line) at school, and this fall with start basketball, my daughter started soccer this week. They Nickel and dime you to death in everything you do. I tell ya, football is a mortgage payment in itself. lol
Kids needs school clothes to start school with, and then when they get there, they need special shirts for trips. Special clothes for taiko. WHEW....

This winter they will sell something else, and this spring will be the Worlds Finest Chocolate bars, but they do send a consent letter for those, so they wont be all eaten on the school bus on the way home. I opt of of that one too...lol

pepperpot
08-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Raffles and 50/50's are good too. They should do them at PTA meetings....:agree

Urban Cowgirl
08-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Raffles and 50/50's are good too. They should do them at PTA meetings....:agree

LOL at our meetings its the same 5 people that show up! We have tried all kinds of things to encourage attendance, no luck though!

prcsanglas
08-25-2009, 04:46 PM
My daughter will be bringing home her paper next week and it will go back blank. We never do the fundraiser because everything is high priced and ridiculous. Her school does and we do participate in toher raisers, like her Haloween Bash, bake sales, coupons books. They also went with a new company last year for Santa Shop called superb (i think thats it) and all profits went to the school. None of that you only make x amt.

cathych
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
my dh is a teacher who teaches special ed, (those kids that no one wants, lol), and he said that their budget was $100 a year for the class. He has gone plenty of times to Michaels and AC Moore and bought things like glue sticks, crayons, pencils and paper out of his own pocket. And let me tell you, we live in an 1100 square foot house and have 1 car, a 2005 Saturn. I remember when I was a kid we never in a million years did any fundraisers. And I did NOT go to a wealthy school by any means. I grew up without running water or electricity.

jasmine
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
everything everyone said here, school supplies, fund raisers, cost for sports, cost for band instrument/rentals, school lunches, clothes, shoes........... the list never ends.
I also have $30 for pottery class, and school class ring, and both kids want a year book. I just can't do it all. It's ridiculous.

Mom2-3boys
08-27-2009, 10:30 AM

We have gotten the same request for $30 the last 3 years, because the PTA of my kids school dont want to do fundraisers for things....it may sound snippy but I dont pay it anymore, I joined PTA the first year my kids joined this school, went to meetings etc etc......thanks but no thanks what a bunch of lazies....I am no longer a member of PTA ...I volunteer my time/money to my own kids's classes.

Urban Cowgirl
08-27-2009, 04:55 PM
We have gotten the same request for $30 the last 3 years, because the PTA of my kids school dont want to do fundraisers for things....it may sound snippy but I dont pay it anymore, I joined PTA the first year my kids joined this school, went to meetings etc etc......thanks but no thanks what a bunch of lazies....I am no longer a member of PTA ...I volunteer my time/money to my own kids's classes.

I would actually just prefer this, but our school won't allow it. It wold be a lot less time and energy on my part, it would be worth it.

speedygirl
08-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Our kids had a couple of good fundraisers. First they did a Walk for Technology where local business people donated food, beverage, raffle items. We have a large state park with a picnic area, lake, track etc... It was done similarly to a Walkathon. The kids got pledges for the number of times they walked the track. People could bid on raffle prizes and. There was a family barbeque when it was over. All monies raised were based on donations and were used to purchase new computers.
Another one that went over really well was a win/win for everyone. The kids who wanted to participate signed up to do jobs for people. They had a website, printed flyers and passed them around town, etc...Each task was assigned a dollar value. For example it was say $10 to mow a lawn, $10 an hour for yard clean up and so forth. They had everything from babysitting to yard work. The only kids that could babysit were the ones that passed the certification course. All of the money went to purchase things for the kids, class trips, etc...The people got something that was of use to them and the kids got the satisfaction of working hard to reach a goal.

Anniston
08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow, the first day is pushing it. But as someone posted, it is all about beating the other schools to the asking for purchases.

I have not once participated in their super expensive fundraisers (other than Family Night raffle) and would not trouble my friends with requests.

What has a thorn in my paw is that my son (also in fourth grade) brings in thousands of milk caps per year, and hundreds of Campbells labels. And the teachers always act like the huge bags of caps are such a bother. My dad runs the recycling center in his town, and saves them all which is why he gets so many to bring in.

Urban Cowgirl
08-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Wow, the first day is pushing it. But as someone posted, it is all about beating the other schools to the asking for purchases.

I have not once participated in their super expensive fundraisers (other than Family Night raffle) and would not trouble my friends with requests.

What has a thorn in my paw is that my son (also in fourth grade) brings in thousands of milk caps per year, and hundreds of Campbells labels. And the teachers always act like the huge bags of caps are such a bother. My dad runs the recycling center in his town, and saves them all which is why he gets so many to bring in.

Wow its awesome that your Dad saves all that for the school. I am currently working with our local recycling center to get a drop box put up for that type of stuff. At our school volunteers handle all the box tops , labels and any other promos like that.

gmyers
08-28-2009, 07:02 PM
You'd think they'd be grateful for the milk caps and labels it helps the school. People are just too lazy to follow through with things. They ought to have someone in the school that handles things like that. Your dad Anniston is a good guy for thinking of them and you and your son are too.

gordo24
08-30-2009, 02:15 PM
OHHH how i know how all of you feel. i thought when my kids graduated i would get a break! no, i moved next door to a group of elm. students. after all that over price stuff i now have grandkids in elm. school......so the fun never ends. i will say one thing that our elm. school does, they sell hoagies (subs) 2 x a yr. they sell for about 2.50 (probably will be 3.00 this yr.) but they make half off every hoagie they sell. i't goes to thier 6th. grade class trip, usually is Washington DC. i alway buy for that. also high school vo-ag sell fruit, i'ts great fruit, not too pricey, and we get it around the x-mas season. good friut for a good cause. and both of these school kids work their butts off selling these. as far as donating $ to your school, i haven't heard of that where i live...yet. then if kids get into sports here, it can get out of hand, been there.

buglebe
08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
The things they ask my grandchildren to sell are rediculous. Yes they already received a fundraiser for this year. It is a 2 1/2 lb tub of cookie dough for $14. No they won't let you give them the profit they would make on the tubs. My grandchildren are new to the town, 2 yrs there, but not like the ones who grew up there. Anyway I told each child , 2 of them, that I will take one container from each one. And that is more than I want to spend. The children do not understand the entire deal , all they know is that some won't get to go to the party, and it is built up so big!!!

Urban Cowgirl
08-31-2009, 04:48 PM
OHHH how i know how all of you feel. i thought when my kids graduated i would get a break! no, i moved next door to a group of elm. students. after all that over price stuff i now have grandkids in elm. school......so the fun never ends. i will say one thing that our elm. school does, they sell hoagies (subs) 2 x a yr. they sell for about 2.50 (probably will be 3.00 this yr.) but they make half off every hoagie they sell. i't goes to thier 6th. grade class trip, usually is Washington DC. i alway buy for that. also high school vo-ag sell fruit, i'ts great fruit, not too pricey, and we get it around the x-mas season. good friut for a good cause. and both of these school kids work their butts off selling these. as far as donating $ to your school, i haven't heard of that where i live...yet. then if kids get into sports here, it can get out of hand, been there.

Do you happen to know what company this school works with? These sound great and no one around here does anything like that!

gordo24
08-31-2009, 11:56 PM
urban cowgirl, as far as hoagies go we use to make them ourselves ( when my kids were in grade school) now they buy from local places. Vo-Ag-- i will call my friend to ask her, her Dad is the pricicipal of our high school. if your high school has a vo-ag course you could check with the school. but as far as the vo-ag friut sales go, i'm sure those sales go directly to that course and their own trip.

hblueeyes
09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I am so glad I have a break from all of this. College is so much easier but costs are different. Cars, gas, insurance, or bus passes (which is now included in tuition and fees)etc. No grandkids yet. But when a student comes to my door or a girl scout, not the parent, I always buy something.

Me