PDA

View Full Version : Did not get the job, super unprofessional manager

iluvmybaby
08-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I went to go apply for a job at a photo studio inside of walmart, they do not require experience and all they ask for is a HS diploma. I applied around two weeks ago and recieved a phone call yesterday setting up an interview for noon. Arrived at 11:45 and manager was not there, waited until 12:30 and finally the asst manager told me that she wouldnt be in until 1. I came back a half hour later ((its 30 minutes away too far to go home)) and the manager was STILL not there. Finally around 2 she came strolling in dressed unprofessionally, at first I did not even realize it was the manager. She was very abupt and said she would be interviewing all of today and asked me 2 questions that were already on my application, I know she knew that I was a good employee because she contacted my personal AND work references, all of which are good ((I have worked since I was 16 and I am 26 with no gaps in my employment history except a week or two in between one job and another and that was a lay off )) I am so pissed, why call me and waste my gas to ask me to travel a half hour and say she is interveiwing others, I was polite and said thank you but inside I was fuming.

pepperpot
08-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Do you know that you didn't get the job? :shrug

Some people look good on paper but are just not the 'right' person/personality, perhaps that's why she wanted to meet you as well.

She probably did schedule a few people before making a decision and wanted to meet them all before finalizing.

And yes, her conduct was very unprofessional. If this job is what you want, I hope you get a phone call. :hug

Sweetberries
08-22-2009, 05:09 PM
sorry that happened to you :( isn't funny how they want you to act in such a manner but don't want to themselves
they need to fire that girl and replace her with someone who knows what they're doing and does their job

freeby4me
08-22-2009, 05:21 PM
I think she was rude and abrupt to you because she knew she screwed up by leaving you waiting for so long. I would be calling a higher up and making a complaint about how unprofessional she was.

You would never hire someone who acted that way so why in the world would they want someone like that covering their "store"? I say call.

krisharry
08-22-2009, 05:37 PM
It sucks if you didn't get the job after waiting all that time. But look on the bright side, would you really want to work for a manager like that? Perhaps something better is just around the corner.

iluvmybaby
08-22-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the support, I appreciate it. I was blowing off steam, I was feeling terribly physical wise and to have to wait nearly 2 hours without having lunch money or gas money to go home and eat and come back was too much for me. I feel better now that I got it off my chest

prcsanglas
08-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I would call the store manager and complain. Most Walmart studios have a manager for the photo seperate from the store. If not go higher up. I think they go through Lifetouch now. Good luck if you really want the job.

pepperpot
08-23-2009, 07:51 AM
If she really wants the job right now and hasn't been told she wasn't hired.....I wouldn't complain just yet......because then, for sure, she wouldn't get the job. :agree

hotwheelstx
08-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Personally I'd wait to see if I was made an offer or not. If not, then I would complain to the store manager. Good luck to you.

Kelsey1224
08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree that your time was wasted and the manager was extremely unprofessional. But, of course she is interviewing (if we can call it that) others. I'm assuming that not everyone who submitted an app is being considered and since the required qualifications were so insignificant, I can imagine there would be a lot of qualified applicants.

I don't see where you didn't get the job. I wouldn't complain, just chalk it up to experience. You never want to burn bridges in the job world.

tngirl
08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
There may have been a logical reason that she was late and why even she wasn't dressed professionally. Yeah, sucks she was late, but she isn't required to give an explanation to anyone but her boss. You just don't know what had gone on in her life that day. Yeah, some explanation would have been nice, but not necessary.

There are some places also that require a certain number of people to be interviewed before making the final decision. Hopefully you will get a call saying you have the job and in the end find out the lady is a great supervisor.

dv8grl
08-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Sounds like someone you wouldn't want to work for anyway...

iluvmybaby
08-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Low and behold I got a call back for a 2nd interveiw with the district manager....YEAH

hotwheelstx
08-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Congrats. :dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

pepperpot
08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Low and behold I got a call back for a 2nd interveiw with the district manager....YEAH

There ya go! :clapping

JMHO I wouldn't mention how unprofessional or anything negative about the first interview or the interviewer. Keep positive and let yourself shine! Good luck! :)

hesnothere
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM

JMHO I wouldn't mention how unprofessional or anything negative about the first interview or the interviewer. Keep positive and let yourself shine! Good luck! :)

Yep, I second this.

tngirl
08-26-2009, 10:41 AM
That is great news! I wish you luck. Just keep the positive attitude!

Anthill
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Good Luck and congrats!! The bottom line is that you were given a specific time to be there and you showed up like you were supposed to. Now if this women did have a reason for being late, and not dressing like a MNGR etc that is fine. BUT if the tables were turned you were late because of traffic that wasn't your fault do you think she would have hired you or given you a second interview???? Did she at least say she was sorry for being late?? Which in my opinion she did deserve

cathych
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Do you know that you didn't get the job? :shrug

Some people look good on paper but are just not the 'right' person/personality, perhaps that's why she wanted to meet you as well.

She probably did schedule a few people before making a decision and wanted to meet them all before finalizing.

And yes, her conduct was very unprofessional. If this job is what you want, I hope you get a phone call. :hug

gosh, I hate walmart.

tunisia
08-26-2009, 02:41 PM
glad to hear! hope the second interview goes well for you.

Kelsey1224
08-26-2009, 03:14 PM

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST ADVICE!! Congrats and good luck with interview #2.

msmom79
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
way to go-you didnt complain on the spot,i think thats what helped you,and also you didnt give up,you stuck around and waited
so maybe the manager decided that since you stuck it out,that you would be good for the job-so glad you are getting a second interview,good luck to you

Mom2-3boys
08-27-2009, 10:20 AM
gosh, I hate walmart.

You can hate Wal-mart all you want but these photo studios are not run/owned by Wal-Mart, if they were she would have been interviewed by a member of management of Wal-Mart and she wouldnt have been sitting there waiting for her interview. Not everything bad is Wal-Mart's fault.

http://www.pictureme.com/cpi/en-US/global/MinorFooterNav/careers/

Our studios located inside Wal-Mart attract new moms, families, and customers of all ages. PictureMe Portrait Studios is owned and operated by CPI Corp. Headquartered in St. Louis, MO, CPI has over 60 years of portrait photography expertise.

BTW Good Luck iluvmybaby if you really want the job I hope you get it.

iluvmybaby
08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
2nd interveiw went well, you had to make a cold sale scheduling people for appointments, I scheduled TWO in the first 5 minutes ((first person I approached)) They said they would be in touch by next Friday. Hope I get it!

ElleGee
08-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Good luck!! Xing my fingers for you :)

Kelsey1224
08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Good luck!!!

iluvmybaby
08-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Thanks all I REALLY need this job

Mary Jo
08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed AND saying a prayer that you get the job.

iluvmybaby
08-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Thank you to everyone I appreciate the support and the kind words.

msmom79
08-28-2009, 07:13 AM
good luck

klutzie56
08-28-2009, 07:57 AM
My sister has worked for Walmart for 13 years. The last six months have been terriable for her. It seems like Walmart wants them to be on call 24/7. Her hours are 7 to 4 and working one night a week. Lately they have been making employee's going overnight or coming in at 5am whenever they feel like it. Consequently there are fewer people on the floor. Seems like everytime I go in there I have to chase someone down to ask a question. The change over of employee's is very high even in this bad economy.

iluvmybaby
08-28-2009, 10:04 AM
My sister has worked for Walmart for 13 years. The last six months have been terriable for her. It seems like Walmart wants them to be on call 24/7. Her hours are 7 to 4 and working one night a week. Lately they have been making employee's going overnight or coming in at 5am whenever they feel like it. Consequently there are fewer people on the floor. Seems like everytime I go in there I have to chase someone down to ask a question. The change over of employee's is very high even in this bad economy.

I would not be employed by walmart, they rent the space like a hair dresser rents a booth from an establishment.

Anniston
08-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Oh, I love how this story turned out for you! I hope you get the job. I can't wait to read an update! Great job on the cold call scheduling you did in five minutes!! Awesome, girl!

gmyers
08-28-2009, 06:41 PM
I hope you get it too. Saying a prayer and keeping my fingers crossed you do. Good luck.

pepperpot
09-22-2009, 01:18 PM
2nd interveiw went well, you had to make a cold sale scheduling people for appointments, I scheduled TWO in the first 5 minutes ((first person I approached)) They said they would be in touch by next Friday. Hope I get it!

Is there an update?

iluvmybaby
09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Is there an update?

I didnt get it and am still job hunting like crazy

pepperpot
09-22-2009, 08:37 PM
:( :hug Hang in there....

iluvmybaby
09-22-2009, 09:20 PM
:( :hug Hang in there....

TY doesnt seem like it is a good job to have tho they have already been thru 3 new ppl that I have seen

pepperpot
09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
TY doesnt seem like it is a good job to have tho they have already been thru 3 new ppl that I have seen

It may have been a blessing in disguise....keep the faith.:)

Urban Cowgirl
09-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I did not read the whole thread, but it sounds to me like you are lucky to not have this woman for a boss!

Anniston
09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
I agree with Pepper, it may have been a blessing in disguise. Best of luck to you in your coming interviews.

Licchl05
09-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Not sure if you'd be interested but my friends work from home and they sent me some leads for companies they've utilized. if you'd like i can send them to you. I'm going to look into it if my UE falls through.

iluvmybaby
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Not sure if you'd be interested but my friends work from home and they sent me some leads for companies they've utilized. if you'd like i can send them to you. I'm going to look into it if my UE falls through.

I am very interested and I PMd you

Licchl05
09-24-2009, 07:23 AM
I am very interested and I PMd you

I sent you and a few others who requested the information, if you have any questions let me know, i can then forward the question to my friend for the answers :) She's been working from home for years, she's worked for dish, direct tv, and her bf is currently working from home for best buy :)

oh forgot something i mentioned in the PM which company her bf is utilizing but not the one she is currently...she's using the middle one right now :)

I've asked my friends to join, it's an old buddy from comcast and his fiancee, so they can answer any questions you guys might have. i'll let you know when they join :)