PDA

View Full Version : Customers irate about $10 HDTV

littlebuggy
08-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Customers irate about $10 HDTV ad
Posted Aug 12 2009, 06:20 PM by Karen Datko Rating: Filed under: savings, Karen Datko, electronics, online shopping, complaints, save money
Some customers were likely breathless as they pushed the "add to cart" button at Best Buy's Web site. The big draw? A Samsung 52-inch HDTV that appeared on the chain's Web site for the unbelievably low sale price of $9.99.

Best Buy corrected the error hours later and announced that any orders processed at that price would not be honored. (You can find screen shots of the ad and an order placed by Augustine Fou at his go-Digital Blog.) But what's truly amazing about all this is that so many people are ticked off.

Bing: Best HDTVs

People flocked to Best Buy forums to complain, and a Web site called Ten Dollar HDTV quickly appeared, where posters are mentioning a possible class-action lawsuit. "BestBuy.com deserves this and I believe they will get what is coming to them!" "admin" proclaimed.

Over at Gizmodo, blogger Danny Allen said he placed an order for the TV this morning, and later got an e-mail from Best Buy saying it had been canceled and that his credit or gift card would be credited. No nearly free TV for him, but he's OK with that.

"It'd be nice if they just admitted it was a screw-up. But, oh well, the dream was fun while it lasted," Danny said. (Later messages from Best Buy apologized for the "error.")

He also reprinted this statement from the company Web site:

Prices and availability of products and services are subject to change without notice. Errors will be corrected where discovered, and Best Buy reserves the right to revoke any stated offer and to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions including after an order has been submitted and whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged.

That isn't dissuading some customers from complaining -- out of real frustration or in dogged pursuit of an insane deal. "I'm going to call and be very angry," one commenter at Gizmodo said. "Is it really worth it to lose a customer? Maybe they will give it to me."

The Washington Post also observed that the company's apology fell on some deaf ears. "That wasn't good enough for many Web-surfing customers, many of whom characterized the matter as a stunt to get people to register at Best Buy's Web site," the story said.

We're not the only one puzzled by some people's responses. "Let's put it this way. If you post an ad selling your car on Craigslist for $100 when you meant to put $10,000, are you going to honor the $100 price?" said another commenter at Gizmodo. "How would you feel if people decided to sue you over it?"

Some people will likely call for government action against Best Buy. But KKTV.com reports: "If you're wondering if Uncle Sam or the state can hold Best Buy's feet to the fire and honor the price, the answer is no. In fact, the Colorado Attorney General's Office says it's not their job to go after companies for a typo."

People lined up outside Best Buy stores this morning either to buy the TV for $9.99 or pick up ones they thought they'd purchased online.

WFTV.com talked to one guy who'd bought four of the TVs and then joined a line outside a Best Buy in Osceola County, Fla. Informed that he wouldn't be getting them, the customer told a reporter, "I'll go to my lawyer and see what he has to say about it."

He added, "I knew it was a mistake, but when I go to Walgreens and they forget to take a tag off for a sale that was yesterday, they honor that price." (Note: The TV really sells for about $1,700.)

Ok, did people really think they would get an $1700 tv for $10? I'm sure LOTS of us here have seen an amazingy deal and tried to order only to find out there was a mistake. This happens more than people realize, I'm just surprised to see that people are going to try and get lawyers. It's sad to me that it's no longer ok to make a mistake or you'll get sued. Would I have tried to order it if I had seen it, sure...but when it got canceled I wouldn't have been surprised, nor would I have tried to sue.

jasmine
08-14-2009, 09:58 AM
honestly, did people REALLY think that a 52 inch HDTV would be on sale for 10 bucks? I mean, come on, obviously, it was a mistake.
This is why they reserve the right, when things like this happen

Prices and availability of products and services are subject to change without notice. Errors will be corrected where discovered, and Best Buy reserves the right to revoke any stated offer and to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions including after an order has been submitted and whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged

krisharry
08-14-2009, 11:17 AM
People are stupid. Hey, I never got that free tshirt I was promised when I signed up for this site years ago-Tshirt news. Maybe i should sue! LMFAO

ahippiechic
08-14-2009, 12:19 PM
People are stupid. Hey, I never got that free tshirt I was promised when I signed up for this site years ago-Tshirt news. Maybe i should sue! LMFAO

Me either! Let's all sue Janet!

NasCat
08-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Now you're talkin' :dancing: LOL

mabby89
08-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Now you're talkin' :dancing: LOL

Im in total agreement!!!

gmyers
08-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Pure greed. And Best Buy covered themselves when they said the reserved the right to correct errors. Like they said would they take $100 for a $10,000 car if they made a mistake. I doubt it.

justme23
08-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Of course ppl thought they'd get the TV. It happens here all the time, someone will post a deal knowing it's a mistake and then ppl get super pissed off when they get the emails to cancel it. This doesn't surprise me in the least.

whatever
08-16-2009, 07:32 AM
This is exactly what i'm talking about. I think people are losing good ole common sense!!! Did they really think they would sell them and make money off them for that?
And for the sueing part its because so many people feel they are "entitled" to stuff anymore. Whatever happened to earning things??

Bahet
08-16-2009, 10:45 AM
By the time those idiots pay the fees to hire lawyers (assuming they can find any who will actually take their case) they could have bought 2 of those TVs at full price and had money left over.

djcyrax
08-16-2009, 03:10 PM
What a bunch of morons

Jolie Rouge
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM

Now you're talkin'

:yeah:

Shann
08-17-2009, 11:24 PM
It's getting to the point where ppl's stupidity is not surprising me anymore. I do not think common sense is common anymore. :(