PDA

View Full Version : Lost my Blackberry

Kelsey1224
08-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm so mad. I've only had it for two months and I left it on the commuter train last Friday. Because I rarely use it on weekends, I didn't realize that it was lost until yesterday.

I spoke to the Sprint rep and it is officially considered as 'stolen' now as it has apparently been used A LOT, particularly texting…as recently as a couple hours ago. The good news is that it is now reported as ‘stolen’ and we won’t get charged for any usage since Friday. Oh…and it is now blocked…so it will be useless to whomever has it now. So, I guess we will be stopping by a Sprint store tonight.

I don't know if we have insurance on it as I don't remember what we signed up for a few years ago.

I truly have no one to blame, but myself. I was careless and lost it. My bad.

However, I have found people's phones before and have done everything I could to find the owner. Why can't everyone just do the decent thing?

ElleGee
08-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Damn that sucks! :hug
Decent people are becoming rare :(

ilikefree
08-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Damn that sucks! :hug
Decent people are becoming rare :(

I agree. We were in Ft. Wayne a couple years ago and I found someone's cell phone in KMart. I took it to our vehicle and called the "home" number I found on the phone. Those people, too, were on vacation, but someone who was at home contacted them on another phone. We did get the phone back to the person and felt so good about it. I can't imagine using someone's found phone.

NasCat
08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I found a blackberry in my yard about a month ago. I went thru the numbers and called the local ones, found the owner, via a friend, on the first try. The guy was very happy to get it back.

tunisia
08-03-2009, 06:08 PM
people can't do the right thing because there are fewer and fewer of us left. I would get 1million times more satisfaction giving something back to the rightful owner, than thinking I had gotten a 'free' item by keeping it.

Willow
08-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Kevin lost one of our phones on the Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios back in June and it was never returned. It wouldn't have been so bad but I had a lot of phone numbers stored in it.

Jenefer3
08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm so mad. I've only had it for two months and I left it on the commuter train last Friday. Because I rarely use it on weekends, I didn't realize that it was lost until yesterday.

I spoke to the Sprint rep and it is officially considered as 'stolen' now as it has apparently been used A LOT, particularly texting…as recently as a couple hours ago. The good news is that it is now reported as ‘stolen’ and we won’t get charged for any usage since Friday. Oh…and it is now blocked…so it will be useless to whomever has it now. So, I guess we will be stopping by a Sprint store tonight.

I don't know if we have insurance on it as I don't remember what we signed up for a few years ago.

I truly have no one to blame, but myself. I was careless and lost it. My bad.

However, I have found people's phones before and have done everything I could to find the owner. Why can't everyone just do the decent thing?

Just look at your bill when it comes in and make sure that there aren't extra charges. My daughter's cell phone was stolen, I called and told the company, the lady told me that there had been no activity, nothing, done on it and she locked it and put it as stolen. I got the bill a couple weeks later and it was a few hundred dollars more than it should have been. After looking it over, I noticed that 3 days after we reported it stolen, someone had downloaded a bunch of graphics and ringtones on it. The company would not take the charges off even though it was after we reported it stolen and according to the lady, no one would be able to use it.

I'm not saying it will happen to you, but just keep an eye out.

I hate that people can't just return something. It's not like it would be hard you know? just make a call. Of course it seems to be that it takes more effort to be honest and do the right thing than to do the wrong thing.

hblueeyes
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
My son left his phone on the train in Chicago. I got a call from his phone from the person who had found it. My son and him met 5 days later and he got his phone back. My son offered the young man $50 he refused but accepted $25.
Good people are still out there.

Me

Kelsey1224
08-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Just look at your bill when it comes in and make sure that there aren't extra charges. My daughter's cell phone was stolen, I called and told the company, the lady told me that there had been no activity, nothing, done on it and she locked it and put it as stolen. I got the bill a couple weeks later and it was a few hundred dollars more than it should have been. After looking it over, I noticed that 3 days after we reported it stolen, someone had downloaded a bunch of graphics and ringtones on it. The company would not take the charges off even though it was after we reported it stolen and according to the lady, no one would be able to use it.

I'm not saying it will happen to you, but just keep an eye out.

I hate that people can't just return something. It's not like it would be hard you know? just make a call. Of course it seems to be that it takes more effort to be honest and do the right thing than to do the wrong thing.

Thanks for your concern. I will definitely review the next bill we get.

The good news...I was able to get a new BB for only $89. We didn't have insurance and to replace the phone would have cost $549. I was ready to just reactivate my old phone. However, we have my FIL on our account. We just found it easier to get him a phone and we pay for it. When we upgraded our phones two months ago...we took my hubby's old phone and gave it to my FIL. It was an upgrade for him and he was so excited. (He doesn't need lots of bells and whistles and wouldn't know what to do with them if he had them.)

Anyway...we were still entitled to an upgrade for his phone number. So...once that was done they then just transferred the phone to my number.

When we originally got the BB...the guy at Sprint set it all up for me and all I needed to do was a little bit of tweaking. Last night, we saw a different guy, of course, and he just gave me the vanilla version of the phone. So...I have been spending hours with the "Blackberry's for Dummies" book trying to get it set up.

Oh well...and we have replacement insurance now!

cathych
08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
get this; I have found 4 credit cards. One in a machine, 2 on the ground, another on a grocery store shelf.

iluvmybaby
08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I hate dishonest people. That is just plain terrible.

Anniston
08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I know I would do whatever it took to return a phone to someone. Especially a BB, as there is so much info on them.

One day a very drunk guy called the house for me. He was so drunk he could hardly talk, but was asking DH for me. He said that he had found a cell phone at a football game and it belonged to someone I know. My name begins with "A", so I guess I was the first contact that came up. We were trying to tell him to just call some more numbers as we did not recognize the number on caller ID when he called. He just said, "I'll be at Coach's (a bar) and if they want it, have them come and get it."

After thinking about it for a long time, we finally figured out who it belonged to, called her son, and it was returned!

jasmine
08-07-2009, 06:41 PM
My SIL had hers stolen a while back, and she said that she got on line with her cell phone server and traced every phone call made. Didn't know you could do that?!

azwup05
08-08-2009, 11:49 AM
I almost ran over a landscapers phone with my mail truck last year. The guy was so happy to get it back that he offered me 100$. Couldn't bring myself to accept the money, but he is the only one that avoids blocking my mailboxes now! So worth it being honest.

hotwheelstx
08-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Aggie and I found Amex. checks at a phone booth one time. I called the bank they were issued from, checks were canceled. Person was on vacation like we were. Never heard a peep out of them. There was well over $4,000 worth of checks. We were in Florida at the time. Hopefully it all was straightened out.

Kelsey1224
08-09-2009, 10:59 AM
So...I get this text from a Stephanie asking who it was that texted her because she didn't recognize the number. I replied who was asking and signed it "Kelsey". She said, "Oh did my friend, Erin, use your phone?"

I replied that "a piece of garbage stole my phone and texted everyone she knew. Did that sound like her friend, Erin?" I then told her that I was reporting her name and her phone number to Sprint's Fraud Division and to expect a call from them asking for information on her friend.

I never heard back from her...LOL. Honestly, I doubt Sprint will do anything about it (although I did give them the information,) but it made me feel better. I'm pretty sure that she will let "Erin" know how mad I am.

I honestly tried to text, "I know your friend stole my phone...but I forgive her anyway," but I just couldn't. I guess that makes me a really bad person, but I don't feel bad.