PDA

View Full Version : I'm back...venting yet again

ilikefree
08-03-2009, 07:28 AM
What a waste! I got up Sunday morning and found that our stand-alone freezer had either gone out during the night or someone left the door open a little bit. I had to throw out a buttload of pot pies that we had just bought and a couple other things. Luckily, everything in the back of the freezer was still frozen. So I made sure the door was closed securely and we left for the day. Last night we came home and found that EVERYTHING was thawed (but still cold)! I was up late last night baking chicken and everything else I could. I had tons of hot dogs in there that I know are still okay because they were still very cold. I don't now what I'm going to do with all of them though. We won't be able to eat them all before they go bad. Some of them have been in there a while and are very close to, if not past, their expiration date.

The freezer was packed full of stuff, the majority of which went in the garbage. I'm so mad, it just makes me sick to think of the money wasted. I thought about filing a claim with our homeowners insurance, but we raised our deductible to $1000 just to make the premiums more affordable.

Arrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Kelsey1224
08-03-2009, 07:51 AM
hugs!!! I hate when that happens. Our freezer went out once while we were on vacation during the summer. Our best friend (watching the house) discovered it and threw everything away. By the time he discovered it, everything was bad and pretty disgusting.

We were so thankful that we didn't come back to the mess it could have been.

DBackFan
08-03-2009, 08:07 AM
If there are any ice crystals left at all in the meat in can be re frozen. I would re freeze the hot dogs anyway if they were cold but thats MHO. Sorry that happened, we lost a 1/2 beef one time that way.

klutzie56
08-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Our insurance only covers up to $200.00 no matters how much you have to throw away.

Jenefer3
08-03-2009, 08:27 AM
We just had that happen to us. Not sure why but I woke up to find the freezer had stopped working and everything was pretty much thawed. I cooked up what I could, but I had to toss some, like my ground sirloin. What a mess!

gmyers
08-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Do you have any friends or family or neighbors you trust that would let you store the meat till you get another one or fix it. Put it all in a garbage bag and see if they'll let you keep it in theirs for a while. I hope it works out for you.

ilikefree
08-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Once something has been thawed and cooked, can it be frozen again?

DBackFan
08-03-2009, 05:09 PM

Sure you can!

justme23
08-03-2009, 10:37 PM

Absolutely!