PDA

View Full Version : *sigh

ElleGee
07-29-2009, 02:33 PM
I made stir fry yesterday in 90 degree heat because I didn't want to use the grill and I had some pork to use up or freeze.. I am using the grill b/c it's just as hot but it's raining.. So I am flipping burgers and linguisa in the rain -FML

speedygirl
07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
I made stir fry yesterday in 90 degree heat because I didn't want to use the grill and I had some pork to use up or freeze.. I am using the grill b/c it's just as hot but it's raining.. So I am flipping burgers and linguisa in the rain -FML

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm doing ribs on the grill in a bit and it's raining and there's a long line of thunderstorms blowing through southern MA and RI. This humidity sucks. Mmmm linguica sounds good!

teenap
07-29-2009, 04:13 PM
ss
i feel your pain, planned on making beer can chicken on the grill, uh no its pouring thanks

jasmine
07-29-2009, 06:47 PM
OMG, you have linguisa????? YOU ARE SOOOO LUCKY. How is the spelling, cherease, and the meat links also, my dad ate blood pudding as he called it YUCK, GAG.
I remember my dad getting these all the time when he went to go visit the east coast, RI. Yep, I am portuguese, and loooove the meat. There use to be a site on the internet where you could actually order some, and they send it to you. They don't sell it over here....... (stupid). Do you know of a internet site, maybe a brand name or something where I could look it up on the net?

ElleGee
07-29-2009, 07:13 PM
OMG, you have linguisa????? YOU ARE SOOOO LUCKY. How is the spelling, cherease, and the meat links also, my dad ate blood pudding as he called it YUCK, GAG.
I remember my dad getting these all the time when he went to go visit the east coast, RI. Yep, I am portuguese, and loooove the meat. There use to be a site on the internet where you could actually order some, and they send it to you. They don't sell it over here....... (stupid). Do you know of a internet site, maybe a brand name or something where I could look it up on the net?

OMG! You're Portuguese? I am half :) That half of my family is from Bristol RI. OK 1/8 of the town I am related to. heh

Chirico is what we put in our stuffing at Thanksgiving. OMG sooooo good.
I have linguica every morning in eggs.. I am addiced to that stuff. My son wanted some linguica and peppers for dinner tonight

This is the ONLY kind I will eat and they have an online store now.. It is the BEST stuff ever...

http://www.amarals.com/store/index.php

speedygirl
07-29-2009, 07:31 PM
What kind do you buy, Elle? We used to get it from New Bedford Linguica but they closed down. :( I like Furtado's too. I had Amarals once and it was good.
We're lucky to have a big Portuguese population in MA and RI. One of my best friends is from Fall River and makes me some of the best food. I don't know what it's called but she makes this sausage that has a fried egg and some fried potatoes. It's not linguica or chorizo. It's kind of light colored. She also does the dip with favas and sausage.
I could use a snack right about now.

ElleGee
07-29-2009, 07:45 PM
What kind do you buy, Elle? We used to get it from New Bedford Linguica but they closed down. :( I like Furtado's too. I had Amarals once and it was good.
We're lucky to have a big Portuguese population in MA and RI. One of my best friends is from Fall River and makes me some of the best food. I don't know what it's called but she makes this sausage that has a fried egg and some fried potatoes. It's not linguica or chorizo. It's kind of light colored. She also does the dip with favas and sausage.
I could use a snack right about now.

I have always used Amaral's sausages.. Anything else tastes odd to me...

I am not sure what sausage she makes it with TBH... When we do the fried egg and potatoes we use the chirico. Does she use paprika on it?.. I don't know of any other. OMG favas and massa is awesome.. Massa is sweet bread we eat with the favas.. especially with the sausage dip

We also make a pulled pork called coicerla (I cannot remember the exact spelling but it sounds like kaserla). My grandmother died before she passed the recipe now so we can only get it at La las (religious feasts). And because my family is a bunch of secretive b@stards they won't give the recipe up... Aholes

speedygirl
07-29-2009, 07:52 PM
I have always used Amaral's sausages.. Anything else tastes odd to me...

I am not sure what sausage she makes it with TBH... When we do the fried egg and potatoes we use the chirico. Does she use paprika on it?.. I don't know of any other. OMG favas and massa is awesome.. Massa is sweet bread we eat with the favas.. especially with the sausage dip

We also make a pulled pork called coicerla (I cannot remember the exact spelling but it sounds like kaserla). My grandmother died before she passed the recipe now so we can only get it at La las (religious feasts). And because my family is a bunch of secretive b@stards they won't give the recipe up... Aholes

Yes, I think it does have paprika. I love Portuguese Sweet Bread. We have it delivered to a local market. I used to eat it before I knew I couldn't have gluten but DH eats it. I make him french toast with it too.

I never had the pulled pork. Is this the stuff? I googled portuguese pulled pork, lol.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/36882/portuguese-cacoila-pulled-pork.html

ElleGee
07-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Yes, I think it does have paprika. I love Portuguese Sweet Bread. We have it delivered to a local market. I used to eat it before I knew I couldn't have gluten but DH eats it. I make him french toast with it too.

I never had the pulled pork. Is this the stuff? I googled portuguese pulled pork, lol.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/36882/portuguese-cacoila-pulled-pork.html

Holy cow...I owe you my first born... LOL

That would be the stuff!!!! Only my grandmother used a LOT more table wine added and it tasted like she put more pepper and cinnamon in it.. I remember my grand mother pouring the table wine, swigging it, then adding more to the pan

Thank you so much!!!

speedygirl
07-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Holy cow...I owe you my first born... LOL

That would be the stuff!!!! Only my grandmother used a LOT more table wine added and it tasted like she put more pepper and cinnamon in it.. I remember my grand mother pouring the table wine, swigging it, then adding more to the pan

Thank you so much!!!

YVW. When are we having dinner? I'll bring the wine. LOL ;)

ElleGee
07-29-2009, 08:25 PM
As son as most of the renovation is done on my house we will set something up ;) promise :)

speedygirl
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
As son as most of the renovation is done on my house we will set something up ;) promise :)

Sounds like a good plan. ;)

jasmine
07-29-2009, 08:30 PM
OMG! You're Portuguese? I am half :) That half of my family is from Bristol RI. OK 1/8 of the town I am related to. heh

Chirico is what we put in our stuffing at Thanksgiving. OMG sooooo good.
I have linguica every morning in eggs.. I am addiced to that stuff. My son wanted some linguica and peppers for dinner tonight

This is the ONLY kind I will eat and they have an online store now.. It is the BEST stuff ever...

http://www.amarals.com/store/index.php

thank you, thank you

I also remember the name Furtado's growing up also. I guess they make some awesome dishes over there with it, my dad always brags when he goes about what and how much he ate LOL. Yeah, my dad is pretty dark skinned, I am tannish looking LOL. Sadly, I don't know much of the culture and such since I grew up here in OK. But I do remember my dad saying some choice words, lines growing up in portuguese. His last name is cotta.
thanks so much for the link, now to save up some money, I want some so bad now.

ElleGee
07-29-2009, 08:41 PM
thank you, thank you

I also remember the name Furtado's growing up also. I guess they make some awesome dishes over there with it, my dad always brags when he goes about what and how much he ate LOL. Yeah, my dad is pretty dark skinned, I am tannish looking LOL. Sadly, I don't know much of the culture and such since I grew up here in OK. But I do remember my dad saying some choice words, lines growing up in portuguese. His last name is cotta.
thanks so much for the link, now to save up some money, I want some so bad now.

My father speaks fluent Portuguese.. My parents divorced when I was 8 and my mother would NOT allow us to speak Portuguese around her.. I can speak it a bit but I have a very very limited vocabulary. It was a spite thing with my mother.. *sigh

I grew up with a lot of the culture.. The only thing I didn't hang with was Catholicism...

justme23
07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
To the two of you... My husband is full Portuguese and fluent. He would be thrilled to know there are some of you on here. Hell, he gets tickled when he meets ppl from Brazil, so excited to speak in Portuguese... course it annoys me cause it all sounds like "mush mush mush andrea mush mush mush." I know he's talking about me but he never tells me what he's saying. He spent his high school years in Mangualde, he's dying to go back. He'd also be licking his lips to come eat at your house, Elle... all he talks about, wishing I'd learn to cook it like his family does. K, I'm full blood Texas... aint no teachin me to cook like them.

Kelsey1224
07-30-2009, 07:46 AM
I know this thread started as a v/w...but I so enjoyed reading it. You'all have so many wonderful memories surrounding your cultural food.

I'm half-Mexican but didn't find it out until I was 45!!! My dad always said we were Spanish...LOL. (There is a difference.) I wasn't raised in the culture at all, although, because I live in S. California, Mexican food is available all over.

My dad's big thing was tamale's on Christmas morning. I never liked them then...and I don't like them now...LOL. I just wanted to have bacon and eggs like my friends. My mom made chorizo and potatoes which she served with scrambled eggs. I loved that.

We also have "pan dulce" which are Mexican sweet breads and I do love some of those.

NasCat
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Ok, I need new eyeballs or something....I thought you said you were flipping linguini. Doh LOL

ElleGee
07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Lol

fleabones3
07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Hey I am Portugese too!! my dad's mom is full blooded. I am only a 1/4 but I look half. I grew up in Humboldt County, Ca.. and we used to have Portugese celebrations with a big ol dinner of linguisa , cabbage soup, sweet bread..mmmm cant get sweet bread in oklahoma... sucks

ElleGee
07-30-2009, 02:31 PM
My sister lives in OK. She flew home last summer and the first thing she wanted my mother to make her was linguica and peppers.... So my mom had it ready for her when she got off the plane and came 'home'

jasmine
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
hey, I'm from OK, and you can get sweet bread here. Next time I go to the store I will have to find it, can't remember the name right now.
BTW, I would love to be flippin' linguisa in the rain (patties, links... yum).

My dad's dad was from Fortsmith R.I. I was just looking in the "catholic" bible that was handed down to me, yep, as you mentioned Elle, they were of catholic origin. Although my household growing up did not practice, we knew though, yeah, wierd. Wow, as I look at the names of people, they are neat. Angelo, Vivanan, Amos, Enos, Carriero. My dad was born in Mass. but was raised with his family in R.I. My dad's dad, sadly he passed when my dad was young, then my dad's brother passed also, leaving his mom and 2 sisters to take care of, so my dad had to quit school in grade school (which was around middle school), and go get a job and support the family.
Don't know why I got off topic, oh well LOL

chib44
08-01-2009, 01:18 PM

My future son in law is Portuguese,hes marring my youngest daughter. I like him and his folkes were her last week they seem awfule nice we all made him crazy becouse he had to inturpte.

fleabones3
08-01-2009, 03:20 PM
My grandmother's maiden name is Miranda.. I cant find the real sweet bread..I live in smalltown Hellhole Oklahoma lol

speedygirl
08-01-2009, 03:28 PM
My grandmother's maiden name is Miranda.. I cant find the real sweet bread..I live in smalltown Hellhole Oklahoma lol

:( You can buy it in every grocery store here.
You can get it online. It's baked in New Bedford, MA

http://www.gasparssausage.com/posw22oz.html

ElleGee
08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
I forgot about gaspars... I bought some of thier linguica yesterday b/c they were out of amarals.. Gaspars is good stuff too

ElleGee
08-01-2009, 03:38 PM
hey, I'm from OK, and you can get sweet bread here. Next time I go to the store I will have to find it, can't remember the name right now.
BTW, I would love to be flippin' linguisa in the rain (patties, links... yum).

My dad's dad was from Fortsmith R.I. I was just looking in the "catholic" bible that was handed down to me, yep, as you mentioned Elle, they were of catholic origin. Although my household growing up did not practice, we knew though, yeah, wierd. Wow, as I look at the names of people, they are neat. Angelo, Vivanan, Amos, Enos, Carriero. My dad was born in Mass. but was raised with his family in R.I. My dad's dad, sadly he passed when my dad was young, then my dad's brother passed also, leaving his mom and 2 sisters to take care of, so my dad had to quit school in grade school (which was around middle school), and go get a job and support the family.
Don't know why I got off topic, oh well LOL

Sweetie there is no Fortsmith RI.. You may be thinking Portsmouth..

jasmine
08-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Sweetie there is no Fortsmith RI.. You may be thinking Portsmouth..

or was there? way back LOL, I was referring to my grandpa on my dad's side, which was born in 1905?? That's what it says in the Bible LOL, his birth place. IDK, oh well, guess I better ask my dad