PDA

View Full Version : Paper: Bush considered sending troops into Buffalo

SHELBYDOG
07-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Paper: Bush considered sending troops into Buffalo

13 mins ago
WASHINGTON – The Bush administration in 2002 considered sending U.S. troops into a Buffalo, N.Y., suburb to arrest a group of terror suspects in what would have been a nearly unprecedented use of military power, The New York Times reported.

Vice President Dick Cheney and several other Bush advisers at the time strongly urged that the military be used to apprehend men who were suspected of plotting with al Qaida, who later became known as the Lackawanna Six, the Times reported on its Web site Friday night. It cited former administration officials who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The proposal advanced to at least one-high level administration meeting, before President George W. Bush decided against it.

Dispatching troops into the streets is virtually unheard of. The Constitution and various laws restrict the military from being used to conduct domestic raids and seize property.

According to the Times, Cheney and other Bush aides said an Oct. 23, 2001, Justice Department memo gave broad presidential authority that allowed Bush to use the domestic use of the military against al-Qaida if it was justified on the grounds of national security, rather than law enforcement.

Among those arguing for the military use besides Cheney were his legal adviser David S. Addington and some senior Defense Department officials, the Times reported.

Opposing the idea were Condoleezza Rice, then the national security adviser; John B. Bellinger III, the top lawyer at the National Security Council; FBI Director Robert Mueller; and Michael Chertoff, then the head of the Justice Department's criminal division.

Bush ultimately nixed the proposal and ordered the FBI to make the arrests in Lackawanna. The men were subsequently arrested and pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges.

Scott L. Silliman, a Duke University law professor specializing in national security law, told the Times that a U.S. president had not deployed the active-duty military on domestic soil in a law enforcement capacity, without specific statutory authority, since the Civil War.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090725/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_terror_domestic_raid

This is one the many, many, reasons this admin scared the hell out of me........

gmyers
07-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Wouldn't have bothered me if they were really Al Queda. I'd be glad they caught them before they could do any terrorist acts.

hblueeyes
07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
I think it was handled properly. Bush had the FBI do it. No big press conferences or speeches. Justy get the job done for which those 6 men plead GUILTY.

I doubt the current administration would have acted the same.

Me

SHELBYDOG
07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Wouldn't have bothered me if they were really Al Queda. I'd be glad they caught them before they could do any terrorist acts.

It might if you lived in Buffalo, NY.

The Bush administration in 2002 considered sending U.S. troops into a Buffalo, N.Y., suburb to arrest a group of terror suspects in what would have been a nearly unprecedented use of military power

It's funny when you read things like this, the repubs find no problem with it as long as it's their party doing it.

gmyers
07-25-2009, 04:53 AM
I find no problem with it because it probably saved peoples lives and I'm sure if the military did it they would have done it the right way. And I bet the people of New York would have been glad they were on the ball and trying to keep them safe after what happened on 9/11.

jasmine
07-25-2009, 09:05 AM
sometimes you gotta do what it takes to get the job done.

krisharry
07-25-2009, 09:23 AM
I was born and grew up in Lackawanna. If Bush sent in the millitary, it would have been a fiasco and I believe lives would have been lost on both sides. I don't think the Arab population would have appreciated the military invading their community. I think many would have sympathized w/the terror suspects if that went down. The way it was handled was much better.

I for one am more concerned about the one suspect they didn't get-Jaber Elbaneh who is alive and well overseas and probably working w/al-Qaeda
plotting future attacks right now.

tngirl
07-25-2009, 09:25 AM
You have to remember, the revised Patriot Act was passed by a Democratic controlled House and Senate, so, this was not just a "Bush" thing.

I don't agree with using the military to police our streets. The only military allowed to do so is the NG and that is only during a state of emergency or in case of martial law.

And enough of the "repubs" don't care crap. Just like the "liberal" crap gets old.

FYI, you have Democrats and then you have liberals, you have Republicans and then you have conservatives. There is a difference you know. Oh yeah, there are also the NeoCons and the RHINO's.

It is always nice when you get the facts right before pointing fingers. Now, if you want to blame the Republicans when we have a Republican POTUS, House and Senate, go for it. Just like right now we are controlled by the Democrats so yeah, we can blame the Dems for the crap we are in right now.