PDA

View Full Version : WTH is wrong with people ?

Jolie Rouge
07-19-2009, 09:55 PM
This is a personal vent.

A very dear friend of mine passed away. When she wasn't at church - where she works with the choir - someone called us to go check on her. She is in her late fifties, a few minor health complaints and she also takes care of her elderly mother who has advanced dementia; it is not like Peg not to call if she is running late or car challenges ect ect ect.

We arrived at her home to find her car in the driveway, engine running, door open, one foot on the running board and her purse on the ground. She was gone.

Hard enough to deal with ... but then the EMS put her time of death sometime yesterday morning. She had sat in her car, in her driveway for over 30 hours.

One neighbor had been working in his front yard all day Saturday, mowing the lawn and tending the flower beds. The neighbor on the otherside had been working around her house, told the police she had seen Peg drive up about 10 am and waved to her. Had noticed the car door open - but never went to check. WTH ??? Wouldn't common sense tell you something was amiss ?? Wouldn't common decency suggest you go close the door so the battery doesn't wear down ? Don't you think it would occur to someone that the car shouldn't be left open and running ALL DAMN DAY ?? I am not suggesting that they could have saved her - EMS said that all signs were a sudden and massive heart attack. But it breaks my heart that she sat there for 30 hours alone growing cold while her neighbors piddled around her and no one thought to trouble themselves to check on what they themselves thought was "odd" and "unusual behavior" for someone they called "a wonderful person, always there to help" "heart of gold" and "generous to a fault".

What is wrong with peple ?

janelle
07-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Oh, I am so sorry this happened to your friend. No one wants to get involved anymore is all I can figure out.

My aunt did the same thing but she died inside her apartment of a stroke. A good friend visited with her on that Sunday then went home. She had an understanding with her neighbor to look in on her if she didn't pick up her newspaper. Well, the neighbor saw the Monday morning paper hadn't been picked up but didn't check until the next morning when the next paper was not picked up. Wasn't a very good system if the person does not follow through.

I really believe we all need to check in on people each day or have them call someone. I know how you feel. It may not have done a bit of good but the thought of her laying there alone without help for that long is just heartbreaking. My aunt was found on the floor half dressed so she may have been trying to get help. She was still alive but died at the hospital.

Unicornmom77
07-19-2009, 11:30 PM
That is insane! I do not understand people either, and although this is no where near as bad but I had a toddler escape awhile back and the woman who does daycare three houses down called the cops but stayed in her house and let the little girl who is 2 just sit out there on the curb. I told her about her self and she did feel bad and later apologized. It was insane.

I wanna go back to how it was when people believed it took a village to raise a child and everyone looked out for each other. I do it anyway, I will correct other peoples children, shut peoples lights off in their cars, return dropped money and its so easy I fail to see how people don't.

I am sorry for your loss and will say a prayer for her family as well.

Littleme
07-20-2009, 05:03 AM
That is heart breaking. I will keep you and her elderly mother in my prayers.

vicky122
07-20-2009, 05:10 AM
That is just crazy that they didn't check on that. Sorry about your loss.

Army-Mom
07-20-2009, 05:24 AM
That is really sad. I miss the good old days when your neighbors would check on each other..when you knew your next door neighbor..

pepperpot
07-20-2009, 05:54 AM
:hug :(

tngirl
07-20-2009, 06:32 AM
Glad we have nosey neighbors.

DBackFan
07-20-2009, 07:17 AM
I agree that is just awful and I'm sorry about your friend. :hug

Kelsey1224
07-20-2009, 07:29 AM
I'm so very sorry about the loss of your friend.

Please don't take this the wrong way...but I want to know about the car that will run for 30 hours on one tank of gas. Wow!!!

ma4angels
07-20-2009, 07:34 AM
My prayers are with you and with your church family for the loss of this person that is dear to everyone. Also with her mother. It is ashame that people just get so wrapped up in their own lives that they don't think about anything but that.

fleabones3
07-20-2009, 09:31 AM
How could they NOT see her either slumped in the car or on the ground???? did they think she was taking a freakin nap for 30 hours or what????

I am so sorry for your loss and for her mom. People are just lazy and dont care about anyone but themselves anymore

shadowcats
07-20-2009, 09:44 AM
when i grew up , we were warned if you saw a car running or door open say something , in new orleans , you got your car snatched quickly if you did that , but now a days no one checks anything any more, ive seen too many news programs about ticket police ignoring dead people in cars and all sorts os situations on this line ,,,,,,,,its sad ,,,,,,,,
im sorry your friend died in such a sad way , our prayers go out to you all.

ttistin
07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I am so sorry :hug

msginna
07-20-2009, 12:53 PM
This is a personal vent.

A very dear friend of mine passed away. When she wasn't at church - where she works with the choir - someone called us to go check on her. She is in her late fifties, a few minor health complaints and she also takes care of her elderly mother who has advanced dementia; it is not like Peg not to call if she is running late or car challenges ect ect ect.

We arrived at her home to find her car in the driveway, engine running, door open, one foot on the running board and her purse on the ground. She was gone.

Hard enough to deal with ... but then the EMS put her time of death sometime yesterday morning. She had sat in her car, in her driveway for over 30 hours.
One neighbor had been working in his front yard all day Saturday, mowing the lawn and tending the flower beds. The neighbor on the otherside had been working around her house, told the police she had seen Peg drive up about 10 am and waved to her. Had noticed the car door open - but never went to check. WTH ??? Wouldn't common sense tell you something was amiss ?? Wouldn't common decency suggest you go close the door so the battery doesn't wear down ? Don't you think it would occur to someone that the car shouldn't be left open and running ALL DAMN DAY ?? I am not suggesting that they could have saved her - EMS said that all signs were a sudden and massive heart attack. But it breaks my heart that she sat there for 30 hours alone growing cold while her neighbors piddled around her and no one thought to trouble themselves to check on what they themselves thought was "odd" and "unusual behavior" for someone they called "a wonderful person, always there to help" "heart of gold" and "generous to a fault".

What is wrong with peple ?

are you sure you heard the car was running for 30 hours??? that would have to be one huge like mega tank. Maybe it really wasn't for 30 hours. In any case I am sorry for your friend.

whatever
07-20-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm so sorry Jolie. I don't understand how people can be "nosey" about some things and in the same time be (for lack of a better word) indifferent of their current surroundings.

And as for somes gas questions cars use WAY less gas sitting idle than driving. Not saying it could go forever. But you are not braking etc. so a tank of gas goes alot longer....

Jolie Rouge
07-20-2009, 08:41 PM
are you sure you heard the car was running for 30 hours??? that would have to be one huge like mega tank. Maybe it really wasn't for 30 hours.

Reciepts found in her car showed that her Saturday morning errands were to the grocery store, the pharmacy for her mom's meds and the gas staion for a fillup. She drove a little mini car ... not a mini cooper but something similar, she always claimed that if she couldn't find a parking space, she could just pit it into her purse. Since my sister reached in to to the key to shut the engine off, I am willing to take her word for it.

Thank all of you... I still can't beleive that she is gone

Anniston
07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Hugs to you at your loss. I think it is awful that these days, the majority of folks just won't take the time to do anything that is not self-serving....why can't people look at helping others as self-serving? Very sad.