PDA

View Full Version : steroids and weight gain

buglebe
07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I am very happy that I have lost 41 lbs but now I have to go on prednisone for 4 months. Prednisone makes me so hungry. This is only the 3rd day of it and I am starving!! I refuse to gain this weight back. I want to keep losing.
I have about another 100 lbs to lose if I live long enough. I will try as hard as I can. Give me best wishes please!

fleabones3
07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
You got my best wishes....try to keep low fat snacks around so when you get starving you can munch on carrot sticks & no fat ranch dip, summer fruits, popcorn, etc and drink yet even more water so tummy feels full. Good luck!

ilovecats
07-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Best wishes coming from me.I agree with fleabones3,Try all those things.If you screw up just go back and try again.Good luck!
ETA:Congrats on the 41 lbs,what a great accomplishment!

cathych
07-19-2009, 09:23 PM
this is a good hint: if you like pepper, try putting lots of it on the food you eat. Also, eat a lot of "hot" food, like pepperonchinis, any type of thing. It will make you drink more water, make you feel fuller longer.

gmyers
07-20-2009, 02:25 AM
Congrats on the weight loss thats really good. I know what you mean about prednisone. My husband has to take it sometimes for his breathing problem and it makes him hungry too. Take it one day at a time and if you slip try again the next day. Don't get discouraged if you slip up sometimes. Like others said keep snack foods that are low in caleries around that way if you eat it wont be so bad. Apples seem to make me feel fuller when I eat them.

kelblend
07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
That's awesome on the weight loss!!! I don't know what the prednisone is for, but try to exercise in any way possible while taking it. I bet you are already since you lost that much to begin with. Wish you the best losing it.

Jenefer3
07-20-2009, 10:18 AM
My son used to take it when he was younger to suppress his immune system (along with Imuran) and he gained so much weight. We had to keep his salt intake down to 20 mg per serving or less, which meant no easy foods. Now he only has to have it when it goes out of remission or if he has a horrible asthma attack.

I agree with what others said. Keep healthy snacks on hand, keep exercising, keep up the water, and stay positive. :) Congrats on the 41 lbs, that's great!

evrita
07-20-2009, 11:53 AM
I am going to be the rain cloud you can exercise all you want and eat as healthy as you want that is a nasty drug and if I never have to take it again I will be happy!! It made me a diabetic and many other health problems. Good luck !!

SLance68
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
I have taken prednisone only once for 7 days and I thought I was going to kill someone. I would be locked up if I had to be on that for 4 months. One of my bosses takes it I think forever due to back injuries. He really has to watch what he eats the first week he was on it he gained 10 lbs. Needless to say no more fast food places for him. Good luck with it and hopefully you will at least maintain the weight loss until you get off that nasty mess. And congrats on the weight you have lost.

fairydana
07-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Congrats on the weight loss! 41 pounds is AWESOME!! Best wishes on the prednisone. Hugs to you!

buglebe
07-20-2009, 07:23 PM
It took me about 6 months to lose the 41 lbs. I started just days before Christmas so I wouldn't gain during the season. I have Crohns and I am having a flare, meaning the ulcers are open and active. Right now I am on a bland diet for the Crohns, also no roughage. Because I have an ostomy I always have to be very careful eating raw vegetables, and fruits, popcorn etc. For the most part I have to just do without because I can't eat carrot sticks, celery, popcorn etc., no greens, salads etc. Yes prednisone is a terrible drug but it is also a life saver too. By the time the 4 months is up, my husband will want to kill me and I will either be an angry witch or a weepy *itch. It is the cause of the osteoporosis I have. A vertebra, L 11 broke on it's own about 6 weeks ago, I took lortab for pain and that caused the ulcers to return. It's all a vicious circle. But I am alive and without this drug, I probably would be dead. But I still hate taking it. Thanks all of you for the good wishes.

evrita
07-21-2009, 07:13 AM
It took me about 6 months to lose the 41 lbs. I started just days before Christmas so I wouldn't gain during the season. I have Crohns and I am having a flare, meaning the ulcers are open and active. Right now I am on a bland diet for the Crohns, also no roughage. Because I have an ostomy I always have to be very careful eating raw vegetables, and fruits, popcorn etc. For the most part I have to just do without because I can't eat carrot sticks, celery, popcorn etc., no greens, salads etc. Yes prednisone is a terrible drug but it is also a life saver too. By the time the 4 months is up, my husband will want to kill me and I will either be an angry witch or a weepy *itch. It is the cause of the osteoporosis I have. A vertebra, L 11 broke on it's own about 6 weeks ago, I took lortab for pain and that caused the ulcers to return. It's all a vicious circle. But I am alive and without this drug, I probably would be dead. But I still hate taking it. Thanks all of you for the good wishes.

I am sure the doctors told you just like they did with me that predisone thins your bones out right? If you have been taking it for a long period of time this is probally how you got i so early from this wonderful drug. Sorry but it helped my nose but in the meantime I had 15 other things that went wrong in the mean time I call it the devils drug.

Jenefer3
07-21-2009, 11:46 AM

My son doesn't have Crohn's but he has eosinophilic colitis and up until the last year, he had to avoid greens. He's been able to eat some but we had to start slow and wean him onto them. He still can't eat much and when it's acting up he really can't have any. He also has osteoporosis in his spine and hips from being on the prednisone for so long. I do agree that it's an evil drug but it is definitely a lifesaver.

I hope the 4 months go by fast without turning you into a weepy *itch or an angry witch. And I pray that your husband is understanding :)

irishluck
07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Don't despair. Remember all the good things you did that helped you to lose the original weight. Get rid of as much salt as possible and drink lots of water. Also, may want to try "grazing" instead of eating full meals. This helps to feel full or satisfied all the time.

This is experience talking, I have been on Prednisone for 15 years. Thats right, 15 years non stop. The first year was hard and I did packed on the pounds but after that I mastered the devil and can now keep my weight at 105lbs. Good luck and hope things improve for you.

msmom79
07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Congrates on your weight loss-alls you can do is keep on keepijng on-you sound as though you are determed to keep the weight off,and i am sure you will-good luck-wishing you all the best