PDA

View Full Version : My boyfriend is making me fat!

dinosmom
07-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Since I have been with Joe, I have gained about 15 lbs even though I am actively trying to lose weight. I eat very healthy and exercise when he is not around but when we are together I tend to eat stuff I normally wouldnt and dont exercise like I should. His family is Italian and they are all about the food! My brain screams at me that I shouldnt eat the pastas, cheeses, wine, wine and more wine, bread, olive oil and a doz canolis but I dont listen! EVER! Joe is a big guy but not fat, just muscular and very active in his job. Me, when I am working, its at a desk in front of a computer!

Anyone else experience this? What can I do (besides not eating the bad stuff LOL).

Now I must go put on sweats because the shorts I am wearing are cutting off the circulation to my legs!

krisharry
07-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Make sure you fill yourself up w/salad before the good stuff comes out. Use a smaller plate or take a tiny amount of everything. Eat something before you go. Suggest an after dinner walk. Good luck.

pepperpot
07-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Anyone else experience this? What can I do (besides not eating the bad stuff LOL).

Run for the hills when they break out the Tiramisu, Biscotti & Frangelica......:burnout:

shadowcats
07-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Run for the hills when they break out the Tiramisu, Biscotti & Frangelica......:burnout:

MY ex used to make mean and hateful remarks about my weight and told me constantly i needed to loose weight , but then he ;d buy me bakery items he knew i couldnt resist ,,,,,, he sabotoged every diet or exercise program i tried, it was a cant win situation , but now i deal with it on my own terms and my hubby now is a good man , and tries to help me,
its harder to loose it than to gain it so stick to your grounds and protion your self , and exercise , so later in life you wont have to suffer the results dear.
good luck,

janelle
07-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Do you belong to an online diet community like Spark People? I have read our friends can make us fat. Read what they have to say about it.

Your boyfriend may be the right size now but it will catch up to him later in life if he continues to eat that way and he will in a big Italian family.

Have you tried to eat slowly so they don't offer you seconds, etc? You will feel full as well eating slowly and not take seconds. Eat only until you feel full. Your stomach hasn't expanded to hold that much food but it will if you continue to gorge.

If your boyfriend makes you eat more than you want then he is sabotaging your diet and that is not a good sign. I had a boyfriend who always brought me candy but it was more of his insecurity since he had always dated big women and was more comfortable with big women. He wanted me to gain weight for him and that was not good.

jasmine
07-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm a firm believer men/boyfriends/marriage, make you fat LOL!!
I really do. When I first got married, I was skinny, size 6, then ended up on through the years a size 16, then divorced, down again to a size 6, and now, well, I am hanging by a thread to these size 12's. uugghhh, I don't know what it is. well, yeah, duh, food, but it's not like I sit and eat donuts all day, it like creeps up on you slowly, then all at once POOF your 20 pounds over weight one day.
Some people say it's cause the chase is over, and you get to a place in your relationship that you get comfortable. I'm not one in believing to letting yourself go believe me, but isn't it wierd?!!

speedygirl
07-18-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm half Italian and grew up eating all that stuff and am thin. Like Krisharry said, we always started the meal with the salad or antipasti and then have the main course. I rarely eat dessert. Moderation and portion control... no ton of canolli's, lol. Good luck. :)

Anniston
07-18-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, I am glad that you are having fun anyway! I have little to offer for advice, but I am glad that you are having fun!!

DAVESBABYDOLL
07-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Since I have been with Joe, I have gained about 15 lbs even though I am actively trying to lose weight. I eat very healthy and exercise when he is not around but when we are together I tend to eat stuff I normally wouldnt and dont exercise like I should. His family is Italian and they are all about the food! My brain screams at me that I shouldnt eat the pastas, cheeses, wine, wine and more wine, bread, olive oil and a doz canolis but I dont listen! EVER! Joe is a big guy but not fat, just muscular and very active in his job. Me, when I am working, its at a desk in front of a computer!

Now I must go put on sweats because the shorts I am wearing are cutting off the circulation to my legs!

It's called fat n happy. lol Happens to alot of people. Like others have said just watch how much and what you eat.

WendyLou75
07-18-2009, 06:48 PM
I for one am HAPPY about this... I think it's wonderful that he loves you so much that he doesn't care what you look like on the outside, and he sees you for how beautiful you are inside as well! This is wonderful!!! :D
I gained a LOT of weight when I was married to dickhead... due to stress and low self esteem... then I got divorced and the weight came off a little but I'm getting fat again and I DO NOT CARE...because I KNOW that John loves me regardless. So I say bring on the desserts and pasta.

And I'll be right over... John is originally from the City... Diversy and uh Pulaski is one area he lived in, also Rogers Park. :D I can't wait to go back and see where he lived when grew up there.

Urban Cowgirl
07-23-2009, 06:32 AM
I tend to eat more junk when my hubby is eating it, its just hard to resist!

No words of wisdom here! BUT any chance you can get me the cannoli recipe? LOL

iluvmybaby
07-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Since I have been with Joe, I have gained about 15 lbs even though I am actively trying to lose weight. I eat very healthy and exercise when he is not around but when we are together I tend to eat stuff I normally wouldnt and dont exercise like I should. !

As part of a regular diet and excercise program, there is nothing you CANT eat. As a recommendation to you I would say, eat lots of fresh salad before. Have one serving only, and have fruit for desert.

dinosmom
07-24-2009, 07:50 AM
....BUT any chance you can get me the cannoli recipe? LOL

I will ask the sister in law for her cannoli recipe. I think the others just get them from the bakery. There is a spumoni cannoli that is OUT OF THIS WORLD!

I have honestly never felt this way before. It usually took me a long time to get comfortable in a relationship. But with Joe its totally different. He makes me feel like I am the most beautiful person in the world!!! And his family have treated both me and my DS like we are one of the family right off the bat. But I am a little too comfortable I guess. LOL

SurferGirl
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Learn to eat and enjoy but do so in moderation.
I love tiramisu but my hubby and I split a piece when we are out.
My hubby sometimes tempts me with goodies and I think he likes it when I gain a few pounds because it usually ends up going to my boobs. I don't like the weight gain because then my clothes don't fit right.

Talk him into a walk or a moonlit swim or get everyone into a game of volley ball or tennis or even table tennis.