PDA

View Full Version : well, I have had it.............

cathych
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Today the squirrels have officially ate all my tomatoes. This is tomatoes off 10 plants my friends. I have put hot pepper on the tomatoes, which is supposed to be the cure all, but this did nothing to deter them. Needless to say, I will not try growing tomatoes again. I can buy them cheaper in a store than spending all the time and money trying to grow them.

ElleGee
07-13-2009, 03:40 PM
UGH damn that sucks!!!!! I am so sorry :( If it makes you feel any better my tomatoes just won't grow at all!! So I have no tomatoes either.. :hug

cathych
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
use some miracle grow, that will make them grow.

DBackFan
07-13-2009, 04:06 PM
I have the trick for you. I had the same problem and someone told me to sprinkle human hair around the garden and ALL animals will stay away. I got my friend who is a barber to save me a bag of hair and its pretty gross but I put it all around and have had NO more problems! It even keeps deer out.

cathych
07-13-2009, 04:11 PM
well, they are all gone now, the plants are stripped bare of any fruit.

Mary Jo
07-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Happens to me every year.

jasmine
07-13-2009, 10:18 PM
I can buy them cheaper in a store than spending all the time and money trying to grow them.

I feel the same way for me. I my situation I would have to buy fencing not only all the way around, but for a roof over the top, I have coons, possoms, deer, skunk........ so I love it when I see people selling there fresh veggies from there gardens on the corners. I stop and get some.

Shann
07-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry looks like once again my tomatoes are being fried by the hot desert sun. :( My serranos are doing wonderful though, just no tomatoes to make salsa with. :(

myspirit
07-14-2009, 03:54 AM
Sorry. But think of it as a good deed like I do. I always joke that my garden is my wildlife buffet! Human hair and urine does help, so don't stop at my house if you see me outside, squatting!!:)

cathych
07-14-2009, 07:18 AM
well, i have neighbors right next to me, so I really don't think I can pee in the garden, lol. At least the squirrels have not taken a liking to my green beans, knock on wood.

Kelsey1224
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I'm so sorry. Just because the current crop is gone doesn't mean that you won't get more so give one of the suggestions a try.

It really sucks when you put in all that time and effort...and elbow grease and you don't get the benefit from the fruits of your labors.

whatever
07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm so sorry. Just because the current crop is gone doesn't mean that you won't get more so give one of the suggestions a try.

It really sucks when you put in all that time and effort...and elbow grease and you don't get the benefit from the fruits of your labors.

Yep its early and tom. are resiliant. they regrow pretty fast. I would try the suggestions. PLus they keep going till frost......
I will have to try the "Human' hair trick. lol
Our rabbits keep eating the green bean plants on the end row.... little buggers.

fairydana
07-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Bad Squirrels!!

krisharry
07-14-2009, 03:01 PM
I'll take your squirrels if you take my possum. They are everywhere and at least the squirrels are too fast for my dogs to kill, and the rabbits are eating all the maters here anyway. Sick of cleaning up the dead possum, enough already. Next year I'm not planting anything.

Ambrianna
07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
I have the trick for you. I had the same problem and someone told me to sprinkle human hair around the garden and ALL animals will stay away. I got my friend who is a barber to save me a bag of hair and its pretty gross but I put it all around and have had NO more problems! It even keeps deer out.

I was going to say something similar. :)

Dog hair - if you have a dog. Jerry Baker puts out some great books on "home remedies" for gardening. He says if you put dog hair in old nylons and hang them around your plants, it should keep the squirrels away.

Human hair might be a neat idea too, but wouldn't you need to put it in something so it doesn't blow away, or the birds carry it off? Birds love hair for their nests. Several people have told me that when they cut hair at home, they'll toss it outsides and birds will take it. I've never seen it, but I did have a cockatiel that LOVED to run strands of my hair through his beak. My parents cockatiel does the same thing.

Don't give up Cathy! :) There's some great ideas out there for keeping animals away from your veggies.

cathych
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
well, I am at the point now where I am thinking that I am just growing food............