PDA

View Full Version : Well Problems....

Urban Cowgirl
07-03-2009, 11:41 AM
UGh.....I have no idea what to do. Our well is not quite 3 years old. Supposedly when they drilled it we were getting 5 gallons a minute. Well we keep running out of water. We have a coupole choices....we can either have them drill it deeper, its currently 380 ft deep, or we can have it hydroblasted. Either way its quite expensive and is not guaranteed no matter what we choose. If we go with the same company they will come drill it for $200 plus $12 a foot. If we use a different company it will cost roughly $2400 just to have them set up, plus the footage. Now is the first company shady? I have no way of knowing. They say its rare at 5 gallons a minute to run dry, of course it can happen. Wish I had a crystal ball!

Either way I will be out at least $1500 and thats on the low end!

fleabones3
07-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I am sorry .. that has to suck

xsweetestx
07-03-2009, 03:35 PM
wish u were closer my brother does this and is always helpin people that cant afford it....

shadowcats
07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
its hard to say whats wrong with your well,,,,,,,,,
here are a few options to check
1 have the filter checked in the well , these should be cleaned every year or so.
2 check the pressure gauge and pressure bell , that could be going out , depending on your pump they do go out sometimes,
3 check the pump it self it sometimes freezes up if the pump itself is faulty in some way.

if the weather had been dry and your in dought times it sometimes makes the water table drop also ,,,,,,,,, and theres pretty much nothing you can do about that except wait for more rain,,,,,,,,, you can try dropping the pipe but thats no guarente that you be able to get your pressure back , you ll need a stronger pump in that case ,,,,,,,,

as for the drillers , stay with the origional one , if its the pump and they put it in it should have some kind of warrenty and they are the ones who will have to fix it......
and the other one is just trying to get you to drill a new well elseware , most companies will not charge you to drill at new well prices on an existing well
they are just trying to get what they can,,,,,,,,, you should check your local water control testing site and see what they say also
and i would check other drillers also , there are usually many others out there and its free to get their opinions.
also most wells are recommended to be drilled to 5oo feet , i had my drilled to 750
cause our water tables in the higher levels tend to smell and tasted eggy , and sulfulerish.
hopes this helps

sharon

iluvmybaby
07-03-2009, 04:30 PM
UGh.....I have no idea what to do. Our well is not quite 3 years old. Supposedly when they drilled it we were getting 5 gallons a minute. Well we keep running out of water. We have a coupole choices....we can either have them drill it deeper, its currently 380 ft deep, or we can have it hydroblasted. Either way its quite expensive and is not guaranteed no matter what we choose. If we go with the same company they will come drill it for $200 plus $12 a foot. If we use a different company it will cost roughly $2400 just to have them set up, plus the footage. Now is the first company shady? I have no way of knowing. They say its rare at 5 gallons a minute to run dry, of course it can happen. Wish I had a crystal ball!

Either way I will be out at least $1500 and thats on the low end!

You need to ask the local old senior citizen if you can find a water douser, they dousing rods to find water. How it works, I have no clue, but it does

Urban Cowgirl
07-03-2009, 04:58 PM
You need to ask the local old senior citizen if you can find a water douser, they dousing rods to find water. How it works, I have no clue, but it does

yep we did this when the well was put in. We have had nothing but a month of rain up here. They did come out and check the water level in the well and its 300ft down...which translates to not enough.

I guess the hydroblasting will fracture the ledge allowing more water through...it has an 80% chance of working. Drilling further may work if they hit a good vein. Of course they had thought they hit a great vein before...mother nature had other plans.

Thanks for all the suggestions and good thoughts....such a hard decision to make, a gamble either way and I'm not a gambler!

iluvmybaby
07-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Why is it that you do not have city water? My uncle bought property that did not have water lines, the cost to get it run to his house was $3000 about the same cost as your well and you are gaurenteed 100% you will have water. Call your local water department and see

PS You are also more likely to get kidney stones from drinking well water from minerals

evrita
07-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Why is it that you do not have city water? My uncle bought property that did not have water lines, the cost to get it run to his house was $3000 about the same cost as your well and you are gaurenteed 100% you will have water. Call your local water department and see

PS You are also more likely to get kidney stones from drinking well water from minerals

I would rather risk the kidney stone then a heart attack from my water bill from the village. I hope you well situation gets better

ilovecats
07-03-2009, 09:08 PM
No advice,sorry.Just offering hugs,I briefly lived in a place where we had the same problem.It was 13 yrs ago but I will never forget having a baby and not enough water.I totally know what you are going through,do you take a shower or wash the dishes,do the laundry?It is a horrible way to live and I hope you find a solution soon.

cathych
07-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I hate having a well. I used to have one, now I have city water and would not trade it for anything.

whatever
07-04-2009, 03:32 PM
IF you are getting alot of rain that sounds fishy to have water that far down.
Our well (in laws, we are hooked on) is drilled and the pump is down 250 ft. And when we had to replace the pump (we split the bill in half) we had water at roughly 90 ft. I would DEF. recommend checking into this companies background (with compliants to BBB etc) because IMO you probably have more water and something they did May be the reason you are not getting water properly.......
Also do you have neighbors that have wells? How far down are theirs? IF you are all using the "same" water supply..........etc.

SLance68
07-04-2009, 05:18 PM
also most wells are recommended to be drilled to 5oo feet , i had my drilled to 750
cause our water tables in the higher levels tend to smell and tasted eggy , and sulfulerish.
hopes this helps

sharon

The depth of the well depends on where you are located. In my area back when we had a well ours was 110' deeper than all of our neighbors and theirs were only 90' deep. In Florida you don't have to go that deep to hit the water table.

papadsgirls
07-05-2009, 07:44 PM
check with your neibors to see how deep there well is, and if they have had any trouble. You may have a hole in the pipe and not a well going dry. Good rule for wells, is that after you hit water, add an extra 100 feet to give you a extra holding tank of water. My dad swears by this. It could be any thing other that a well being dry. Odds are on a 3 yr. well, something else maybe going on. Do you know a plumber, ask them to come check things out first. It maybe something simple. I love well water and hate to think of us having to connect to city water. I can't drink it. Tooo many chemicals.