PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Marine Corps Col. Kenneth L. Reusser, R.I.P.

Jolie Rouge
06-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Here’s a man whose legacy and name you should tell your children about instead: U.S. Marine Corps Col. Kenneth L. Reusser. R.I.P. Via the Portland Oregonian: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/06/rob_finchthe_oregonian2002us_m.html

They came by ones and twos Friday, quietly slipping into the pews at New Hope Community Church. They smiled at the words honoring a man whose faith made him an inspiration and whose exploits in three wars made him a hero.

And when the last mournful drone of the bagpipes faded, they said goodbye to Col. Kenneth L. Reusser of Milwaukie, the most decorated U.S. Marine Corps aviator in history.

“He was the finest gentleman I’ve ever met,” said Harley Wedel of Fairview, a fellow Korean War veteran. “I’m really going to miss him.”

Reusser flew an amazing 253 combat missions in World War II, Korea and Vietnam. He was shot down in all three wars — five times in all. He earned two Navy Crosses, four Purple Hearts and two Legions of Merit among his 59 medals.

In 1945, while based in Okinawa, he stripped down his F4U-4 Corsair fighter and intercepted a Japanese observation plane at an altitude much higher than usual. When his guns froze, he flew his fighter into the observation plane, hacking off its tail with his propeller.

In 1950, while serving in the storied “Black Sheep Squadron,” he led an attack on a North Korean tank-repair facility at Inchon, then destroyed an oil tanker — almost blowing himself out of the sky in the process.

During the Vietnam War, Reusser flew helicopters. He was leading a Marine Air Group in a rescue mission, when his own “Huey” was shot down. He needed skin grafts over 35 percent of his badly burned body.

Reusser was born Jan. 27, 1920, the son of a Cloverdale minister. While still a teenager, he became a committed Christian, which remained a big part of his life.

Reusser lived a “Tom Sawyer-ish” existence, Wedel said, jumping off a barn roof to test a parachute, racing motorcycles to help pay for college and earning a pilot’s license before WWII broke out.

After retiring from the Marine Corps, he worked for Lockheed Aircraft and the Piasecki Helicopter Corp.

In recent years, he remained active in veterans groups.

Wow. Just wow.

Colonel Reusser was clearly one of the rough men who allowed the rest of us to sleep peacefully. RIP Colonel. Thanks for everything you’ve done for all of us.

Now there’s a man who deserves a moment of silence in Congress.

Gold Star Mother Debbie Lee asks Americans to check their priorities.
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/gsmothers/2009/06/26/debbie-lee-americans-celebrate-michael-jackson-ignore-troops/

I’m sitting at the desk in my hotel room after just completing our eight hour Troopathon at the Reagan Library. I’ve gone over and over in my head trying to figure out why this year, even though we had a better set, added celebrities to our line-up, and had better media coverage, our final funds raised to support the troops were half of last year’s.

I turned on the TV and clicked through the channels trying to find coverage of our event. I had heard earlier in the day that Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett both had died. As I clicked through the channels, I found every single channel had coverage of Michael Jackson’s death, even Fox News.

As I am not an “Idol” worshipper, it always amazes me how engulfed people can get in the lives of celebrities. I had an “ah hah” moment and realized that could be part of the reason our event was not as successful as we had hoped. We had lost viewers to the “Breaking News.”

I am not prone to want to listen for hours on end to all the hoopla surrounding his death, so I opted to turn off the TV and lay my weary body to rest.

After arising today, I turned on the TV, and you guessed it, almost every channel is still talking about Michael Jackson. The announcer is talking about all the crowds at the “Reagan” Memorial Hospital mourning his loss.

What a contrast–yesterday we were at the “Reagan” Library raising funds to support our troops and send care packages to the combat zones to let them know how much we appreciate and love them, and the rest of the world was focused on the news from Reagan Memorial Hospital that Michael Jackson was dead.

Our men and women are fighting selflessly to combat terrorism and defend our freedoms. These troops are willing to lay down their lives just like my son Marc Alan Lee did on Aug 2, 2006. These heroes aren’t begging for the world’s attention, they don’t seek to be recognized, honored, or worshipped, but we do need to remember them.

I thought about the world’s attention yesterday at the Reagan Memorial Hospital, how engrossed they were in the death of Michael Jackson. My heart ached as I realized the priorities that most people have in life. How the media will dwell non-stop on Michael Jackson and his idiosyncrasies. My condolences go out to his family. I do understand the grief in losing someone you love dearly.

This man may have entertained millions, but did he do anything for their freedoms? He wasn’t willing to sacrifice his life for his buddies, for you or I, as my son did, or as our troops, our true heroes do. Each one of our warriors who signed up to defend the United States have written blank checks to this nation and they are willing to pay whatever price is required for our freedoms, including sacrificing their lives.

Why is the media not telling the stories of America’s Mighty Warriors? Why were people afraid to part with their money yesterday to send care packages to our warriors dodging bullets, IED’s and RPG’s, yet they had no problem buying flowers and gifts, piling them at Michael Jackson’s home, at his Hollywood Star, the Reagan Hospital or other memorial sites around the world? Our priorities as a nation are distorted.

For those of you who did participate and gave yesterday, THANK YOU! You understand the sacrifice our troops make and you have your priorities right.

Obviously, since losing my son, Marc, not a day goes by that I don’t think of him and how he lived his life to the fullest. I think of the words on his headstone, “Loved deeply, deeply loved,” which so describe Marc. His last letter home has changed peoples’ lives all over the world. If you’re moved by his letter, please make a generous contribution by clicking on the donate button at www.americasmightywarriors.org. He gave up his tomorrows so that you and I could have a today. Please be generous and do whatever you can for our troops, their families and the families of the fallen.

Marc wasn’t the only one with that attitude; I have seen the same character in our other brave warriors fighting for you and I. I always remember and pray for our troops who sacrifice so much for me and for this nation. They are the true heroes, they deserve our loyalty, our praise, our attention, our media focus. They need to know that we have not forgotten them. If you would still like to sponsor a care package and be part of the Troopathon 2009, it’s not too late, you can do that at http://www.troopathon.org.

Please America, check your priorities! We are a nation that was founded on God’s principles and we need to stay focused on what those are. May God continue to strengthen us and bless us as we follow Him.

Jolie Rouge
07-08-2009, 02:14 PM
My column below memorializes some true American heroes whose funerals won’t get wall-to-wall cable coverage. But first I wanted to share an e-mail from reader Noelle, who wrote me yesterday:

We spent a nailbiting Sunday wondering if one of the men killed at [Combat Outpost] Zerok in Afghanistan on July 4th was our son. God bless the Casillas and Fairbairn families in this hour of grief over futures that now will never come to pass. The privates who died were mortarmen, the guys who go outside and return fire. I’m sorry about Michael Jackson’s totally wasted life, but he’s not worth the national crying and hair pulling that will never be done for the two young mortarmen. My son is a third tour “listener” and 33 years old. The base is very small and he said they bond quickly under these circumstances and are bent over with grief as they have to carry on in hostile territory…He called us late evening on Sunday after the Casillas and Fairbairns had been notified about the deaths. He said it was a July 4th the survivors will never forget. There’s always a news and communication blackout until families have been contacted. We live in dread of being the ones to get such news. Thanks for honoring a couple of boys worth the effort.

Let’s mourn the real American heroes
By Michelle Malkin • July 8, 2009 08:39 AM
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/07/08/lets-mourn-the-real-american-heroes/

Flags flew at half-staff this week in California’s state capitol.

No, not for Michael Jackson.

For Private First Class Justin Casillas.

Pfc. Casillas died in a jihadi suicide bombing attack on his Army base in eastern Afghanistan on the Fourth of July. While Americans enjoyed fireworks and Hollyweird mourned the “King of Pop” with wretched excess, the family of Pfc. Casillas learned that the 19-year-old paratrooper with the U.S. Army’s Alaska-based 509th Airborne had given his life for his country. His father told the Woodland (Calif.) Daily Democrat that Justin just “wanted to do his part.”

The family has a legacy of service: Casillas’s grandfather served in the Pacific theater during World War II; his father served in Vietnam. But the death of Pfc. Casillas didn’t make front-page headlines. His funeral won’t receive wall-to-wall coverage on cable TV.

Instead, it’s been all-MJ, all night and day: Nurses! Nannies! Doctors! Drug raids! Custody battles! Casket rides!

Jacko fever spread to the Beltway, where the House of Representatives held a moment of silence for the entertainer. President Obama sent a highly-publicized letter of condolence to the Jackson family. And topping them all, Texas Democrat Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee drafted a 1,600-word congressional resolution that “recognizes Michael Jackson as a global humanitarian and a noted leader in the fight against worldwide hunger and medical crises; and celebrates Michael Jackson as an accomplished contributor to the worlds of arts and entertainment, scientific advances in the treatment of HIV/AIDS, and global food security.”

Jackson-Lee laundry-listed every charitable act and donation by Jackson in the House resolution – and would have included all the times he said “Thank you” and “God bless you” if there had been more room. Is it too much to ask our lawmakers to restrain themselves from acting like Entertainment Tonight spokesmodels and Tiger Beat correspondents?

I stand with GOP Rep. Peter King of New York, who rightly skewered these celebrity-worshiping warped priorities as “an orgy of glorification.” Michael Jackson could sing and dance. But he was no American “hero.” In a YouTube video over the weekend, Rep. King lambasted the media circus:

“All we hear about is Michael Jackson. Let’s knock out the psychobabble. He was a pervert…and to be giving this much coverage to him, day in and day out, what does it say about us as a country…I just think we’re too politically correct. No one wants to stand up and say, ‘We don’t need Michael Jackson!’ He died, he had some talent, but fine, there are people dying every day. There are men and women dying everyday in Afghanistan, let’s give them the credit they deserve.”

Yes, let’s do that. Another soldier died with Pfc. Casillas on Independence Day at Combat Outpost Zerok in Afghanistan’s Paktika province. He was 20-year-old Pfc. Aaron Fairbairn. Fairbairn’s stepfather, David Masters, took to social networking service Twitter to spread the word and keep Fairbairn’s legacy alive. “On Independence Day, a few hours ago, they killed my son Aaron in Afghanistan,” Masters wrote. According to the Department of Defense, both Fairbairn and Casillas died from “wounds suffered when insurgents attacked the outpost using small arms and indirect fires.” The Taliban claimed credit for the complex rocket and mortar attack involving a reported 8,000 kg of explosives.

Tens of thousands of our men and women are in Iraq and Afghanistan to combat the jihadi threat. Army 1st Lt. Brian N. Bradshaw gave his life on June 25, the same day Jackson died. Bradshaw’s aunt, Martha Gillis, blasted the silence over her nephew’s sacrifice in a letter to her local paper, the Washington Post:

“My nephew, Brian Bradshaw, was killed by an explosive device in Afghanistan on June 25, the same day that Michael Jackson died….Where was the coverage of my nephew or the other soldiers who died that week?” Gillis wrote that Lt. Bradshaw “had old-fashioned values and believed that military service was patriotic and that actions counted more than talk…He was a search-and-rescue volunteer, an altar boy, a camp counselor. He carried the hopes and dreams of his parents willingly on his shoulders. What more than that did Michael Jackson do or represent that earned him memorial ’shrines,’ while this soldier’s death goes unheralded? It makes me want to scream.”

Please do not despair, Mrs. Gillis. While the Rev. Al Sharpton screamed “Thank you, Michael! Thank you, Michael!” at the grotesque Staples Center memorial on Tuesday, many of us whispered in prayer: Thank you, Justin. Thank you, Aaron. Thank you, Brian.

The real American heroes won’t be forgotten.

Jolie Rouge
07-12-2009, 08:36 PM
We really are just focused on what lies ahead.”
By Michelle Malkin • July 12, 2009 11:24 AM
http://michellemalkin.com/2009/07/12/%e2%80%9cwe-really-are-just-focused-on-what-lies-ahead%e2%80%9d/

http://www.defenselink.mil//dodcmshare/WeekinPhotos/2009-07/090702-M-2806C-045b.jpg

http://www.defenselink.mil/WeekInPhotos/WeekInPhotosSlideShow.aspx?Date=7/2/2009

Photo credit: U.S. Marines and about 650 Afghan soldiers and police officers prepare to board CH-53D Sea Stallion and CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters on Forward Operating Base Dwyer, Afghanistan, July 2, 2009. The Marines are assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 3, 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade. The Marines and Afghan forces are partnered for a major operation in Helmand province to transition security responsibilities to the Afghan forces.

U.S. Marine Corps photo by Chief Warrant Officer 3 Philippe E. Chasse

Matt Sanchez is embedded with the 3rd Battalion, 11th Marines in Helmand Province in Afghanistan. At FoxNews.com, he reports on how the Marines are staying focused: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531006,00.html

Throughout Afghanistan, troops have been killed in action, but that hasn’t been a major concern. News doesn’t reach Fiddler’s Green 24/7, and because of a lack of Internet and phones, most of the 3/11 Marines are using pen and paper to send letters to loved ones back home.

“No media out here, not sure what’s really going on out there,” Corporal Tyler Ledbetter told FOXNews.com.

Ledbetter, who is three months into a 7-month tour in Afghanistan, refused to comment on the possibility of abduction, but was quick to explain why the rising death toll did not faze him.

“We’re the best trained fighting force in the world,” he said.

Throughout the day, redundant checks are designed to account for Marines. “Accountability. Eyes on every Marine, pre-combat checks, pre-combat inspections,” said battalion commander Lt. Chris Lewis. “Physical and visual accountability, nothing less.”

The battle-hardened command is much more stoic than the younger grunts with guns at the gate.

“Personally I have no fear of being kidnapped. Accountability is very strong for the Marines,” said Sgt. Christopher Rye, a 26-year old Marine combat camera photographer.

In the Combat Operations Center, one of the few areas with electricity and some climate control, Battalion Adjutant 1st Lt. Adam McLaurin is brief and blunt. “I’m not focused on casualties,” says the Gainesville, Fla., native, who is on his first deployment. “We really are just focused on what lies ahead.”

:pray: Keep these men in your thoughts and prayers. :pray:

DoD Identifies Marine Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Roger G. Hager, 20, of Gibsonville, N.C., and Master Sgt. John E. Hayes, 36, of Middleburg, Fla., died July 8 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. They were assigned to 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

And from Ft. Carson: http://www.gazette.com/articles/killed-58276-soldier-afghanistan.html

A veteran soldier who re-enlisted in the Army to support his 4-year-old son was killed Wednesday in Afghanistan, the Department of Defense announced Thursday.

Spc. Gregory J. Missman, 36, of Batavia, Ohio, died in Bagram, Afghanistan, after his unit was attacked with small-arms fire, the department said. He was part of Fort Carson’s 704th Brigade Support Battalion, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division.

Missman had served in the Army in the early 1990s but had been a civilian for 11 years, his father, Jim Missman, told WCPO in Cincinnati. He recently re-enlisted after a divorce his father said.

Missman was a 1993 graduate of Amelia High School in Batavia.

His unit deployed a month ago.

And more. http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-wardead12-2009jul12,0,7066499.story

R.I.P. :pray: Spc. Gregory J. Missman, Lance Cpl. Roger G. Hager, and Master Sgt. John E. Hayes. Your service and sacrifice are not forgotten. :pray: My heart aches everytime I read of a man or women who dies for our country. My heart aches for their families. I ask God to please comfort the families and put His arms around those who have died. :pray:

If you get a chance, listen to this song. It makes me cry every time I hear it.

Freedom’s Never Free
By Phillips Craig And Dean

Standing on a hillside
Where the river meets the sea
White crosses without number
Line the fields of peace
And each one a silent witness
Staring back at me

Every cross a story
Of another place in time
Where young men thought it worthy
To give their life for mine
And for the sake of honor
Left their dreams behind

And for the price they paid
I’m forever in their debt
Their memory will not die
‘Cause I will not forget

I will stand and hold my head up high
I will dedicate my life
To the glory of the ones who had to die
I will live, live what I believe
If for no one else but me
I will remember
Freedom’s Never Free!

I will walk free
I will stay free
I will live free
I will die free!

There is another verse, but this one is the one pertaining to our soldiers.

God Bless every one of them!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFBzNibOl78

Here is the vidoe of the song Freedom’s Never Free. It takes 6 minutes. If you want to be inspired like never before, listen and watch. It will be well worth your time.