PDA

View Full Version : Ants invasion

hblueeyes
06-20-2009, 09:43 AM
We have always had ants outside. But they have now invaded inside thwe house. Worse yet they are inside the wall by the kitchen sink. UGHHH!!!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Me

freeby4me
06-20-2009, 10:01 AM
My grandmother sprinkles cinnamon down, but that just keeps them away, not takes care of them.

LitWtch
06-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Chili powder or RoachProof (boric acid). both work equally as well. Plain old white chalk - the ants walk through it and it covers their legs. They clean their legs and die from the powder.

nightrider127
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Mix bleach and water together in a spray bottle and spray it where you have seen the ants. I have never tried it but will the next time we get an ant problem. My neighbor told me about this. She used it and it works. I think she made a half bleach half water solution.

In the past, I have used Decon Ant Killer and it worked really good for me.

teenap
06-20-2009, 11:14 AM
pic
its in a bottle and it is blue

prcsanglas
06-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Inside we use terro liquid ant bait traps.... outside we spread seven dust around
The terro is safe around household pets but the seven is not to my knowledge.

hblueeyes
06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
I see about 6 a day, my Mom sees more about 19. They are in the wall and I want to kill them all including the queen but how will I know if I have gotten them all? I have heard of many of the suggestions given here including grits with cinnamon. the grits are like rice is to birds. I want them gone tomorrow!

Without ripping out the wall, how will I know I have gotten them?

Me

ilovecats
06-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I think everyone has offered great ideas.I found it a problem this time of year because of my cats food being out.No idea if something like this is a part of your problem.I made a point of putting catfood dishes into bigger dishes of water,Make sure no food has easy access,and I bought the ant traps that they bring poison back to the rest of the ants.It worked for me.I hope things work out soon for you,I hate bugs!

fairydana
06-20-2009, 11:01 PM
The terro ant baits are wonderful! They worked very well for us!

LitWtch
06-21-2009, 05:32 AM
Get boric acid powder and put it in a glue type bottle - find the hole or point of entry and suirt it inot there. A thin line will also do along edges where childrena nd animals cannot get it.

meltodd69
06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
When I was little we had the big wood ants. They act like termites and will eat your house up. Plus they hurt like heck when they bite!

Mom called the Orcon Man (sp?). He sprayed and she hasn't seen any ants in the house in over 25 years.

Or I could loan you my dogs. They love to chase ants lol. And they work cheap.

OkeDoke
06-21-2009, 08:42 AM
When I was little we had the big wood ants. They act like termites and will eat your house up. Plus they hurt like heck when they bite!

Mom called the Orcon Man (sp?). He sprayed and she hasn't seen any ants in the house in over 25 years.

Or I could loan you my dogs. They love to chase ants lol. And they work cheap.

I could use your dogs too! :)

I forgot about the Orkin man, but I do see coupons for their products and I think Walmart sells it to.
(but maybe not as good as the Okrin man coming out to spray)

Army-Mom
06-22-2009, 05:55 AM
I am having the same problem right now too.

freeplease
06-22-2009, 08:01 AM
We had nats so bad this spring! I finally found the spot they were entering, behind the tv. Of course, they chose the one spot with the big heavy tv in a cabinet. *ugh*
I made a sort of fence with cinnamon, and it actually kept them in! I just sprinkled cinnamon on the floor, and sort of stacked it a quarter of an inch high, with no breaks in the line. I then placed about 7 (overkill, I know) terro liquid baits inside the fence. It took about 3 weeks to finally see some relief. But at least they weren't wandering around my family room. The cinnamon really works! Plus, it smells nice. ;)

cathych
06-22-2009, 08:31 AM
I am having ants right now, even though Orkin just sprayed, they like to come in around the windows in the summertime. In the winter they all die off. I don't worry about it, just smash em when I see them. I mean, you can't kill all the bugs in the world.

bonniejeanne
06-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Terro--works wonders

myspirit
06-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Get some pure peppermint oil, they HATE it! I don't know where they go, but you won't see them anymore. We use this around our outside livestock feeders, around the bee hives and on cottonballs placed in our trash cans. Works like a miracle.

iluvmybaby
06-24-2009, 05:37 PM
OK you are not going to believe this, but SPLENDA. Yes, it works! I have animals around the house and therefore can not place poison out without fear. After finding a ant parade, placed underneath the receptacle they were coming out of. It killed them, and killed the ones who walked over then. Don't use this if you have roaches or mice or you will have another problem

baragabrat
06-27-2009, 10:15 PM
We've been getting those 'sugar ants' within the last week or so and I put some Terro out about 3 days ago and in the last day and a half we have seen neither hide nor hair of an ant. I hope they're gone for good. I think bugs have their place and it is NOT inside my home!