PDA

View Full Version : Barbra Boxer needs to get over herself

littlebuggy
06-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Boxer, the U.S. Senator, Chides Brigadier General for Calling Her 'Ma'am'
The feisty California lawmaker reminds an Army brigadier general of her title after he has the apparent gall to call her "ma'am."

FOXNews.com

Thursday, June 18, 2009

0 x
in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.
0 Comments | Add Comment
ShareThisIn case you forgot, Barbara Boxer is a senator.

The feisty California lawmaker felt the need to remind an Army brigadier general of that fact Tuesday during a hearing before her Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, where the military officer testifying had the apparent gall to call Boxer "ma'am."

Brig. Gen. Michael Walsh, with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, was testifying on the Louisiana coastal restoration process in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. He began to answer one of Boxer's questions with "ma'am" when Boxer immediately cut him off.

"You know, do me a favor," a piqued Boxer said. "Could say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?'"

"Yes, ma'am," Walsh interjected.

"It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, yes, thank you," she said.

"Yes, senator," he responded.

YOU DECIDE: Super Sensitive or Right On?

However, Walsh surely meant no disrespect, as military protocol advises that officers may use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing anybody higher than them on the chain of command.

According to one guide, the Navy and Coast Guard typically use "mister" or "miss" to address officers below the rank of commander, and "sir" or "ma'am," or a specific title, to address anyone at that rank or higher.

"You can never go wrong by using 'Sir' or 'Ma'am,' but it is a nice touch if you can properly address a senior officer," says the guide, Military Protocol: Uniformed Services.

Tuesday's hearing was hardly the first time a military officer used those terms during sworn testimony.

The same day at a Senate Armed Services subcommittee hearing, two Navy officials repeatedly referred to Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., with the title, "sir."

"Yes, sir," Navy Vice Adm. Bernard McCullough said when answering questions.

Wicker raised no objections.

Click here to watch the Boxer-Walsh exchange.

freeby4me
06-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Being in the Service I can see why he would use the phrase. I learned long ago not to call women "ma'am" because they plain do not like it. It makes them feel old. People from the south dont get that, its more of a northern thing.

Personally as far as this goes, who gives a frick one way or another? Does it even matter? Are we so bored for stories that this actually makes news?

galeane29
06-18-2009, 01:47 PM
I was born and raised in the south so I was raised knowing that calling someone ma'am and sir is a sign of respect.

littlebuggy
06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
I would say it's news because it shows her character. To interrupt him in that manner to demand he call her senator. This is someone who is elected into office and she's more worried about what she is being addressed by than what he has to say.

shadowcats
06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
I would say it's news because it shows her character. To interrupt him in that manner to demand he call her senator. This is someone who is elected into office and she's more worried about what she is being addressed by than what he has to say.

did you ever stop to think that it could have been the way he said it....
ive had young men and woman yes ma'am me that i didnt mind , being from the south it is a matter of manners . but then theres been some that were so sarcastic in their manner of saying it it sounded insulting , and in some issues you have to have the respect of the person your questioning and it is a proper procedure to remind them of it,,,,,,,,,; no matter what we think it isnt wrong to correct this attitude,,,,,,,,,, lots of women get that in legal and military situations and need to stand up for themselves or they get the good old boy treatment.......... ive seen it toooo many times and either way what the hell ........ too many men have acted worse why take offence at her standing up for her rights ,,,,,,,,, she ' s earned her place .
sounds like some one has sour grapes to me to complain on this where there are more inportant issues to worry about .:gaah:doh:idea::huh

anothersta
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
did you ever stop to think that it could have been the way he said it....
ive had young men and woman yes ma'am me that i didnt mind , being from the south it is a matter of manners . but then theres been some that were so sarcastic in their manner of saying it it sounded insulting , and in some issues you have to have the respect of the person your questioning and it is a proper procedure to remind them of it,,,,,,,,,; no matter what we think it isnt wrong to correct this attitude,,,,,,,,,, lots of women get that in legal and military situations and need to stand up for themselves or they get the good old boy treatment.......... ive seen it toooo many times and either way what the hell ........ too many men have acted worse why take offence at her standing up for her rights ,,,,,,,,, she ' s earned her place .
sounds like some one has sour grapes to me to complain on this where there are more inportant issues to worry about .:gaah:doh:idea::huh

Most people would wanta to see the video before questioning a General's motives, but since you aren't one of those, I'll post this for everyone else.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/06/17/boxer_asks_general_to_call_her_senator_and_not_maa m.html

I post the link, you decide.....

shadowcats
06-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Most people would wanta to see the video before questioning a General's motives, but since you aren't one of those, I'll post this for everyone else.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/06/17/boxer_asks_general_to_call_her_senator_and_not_maa m.html

I post the link, you decide.....

theres really not enough of the time before the episode to the end of this clip to see if he was or wasnt disrespectful ,,,,,,,,,,, i missed this broadcast so i cant really say what id think of her request to be addressed as senator , but she has earned her place and id give her the benifit of the doubt,,and i dont really know what she has to deal with day to day either with all the crappy newscasters and others she has to deal with and that also would make a difference in the way this situation would be looked at also , so as i said what the hell ,,,,,,,, let her live her life....... and let her deal with it, she has the right to be a b,,,,,,,,,, if she wants to....... we all do ,,,,,,,,
too much is made of issues like this,,,,,,,,,, there are more important things to worry about....... :doh:hmmmm2:

ilovecats
06-18-2009, 08:27 PM
theres really not enough of the time before the episode to the end of this clip to see if he was or wasnt disrespectful ,,,,,,,,,,, i missed this broadcast so i cant really say what id think of her request to be addressed as senator , but she has earned her place and id give her the benifit of the doubt,,and i dont really know what she has to deal with day to day either with all the crappy newscasters and others she has to deal with and that also would make a difference in the way this situation would be looked at also , so as i said what the hell ,,,,,,,, let her live her life....... and let her deal with it, she has the right to be a b,,,,,,,,,, if she wants to....... we all do ,,,,,,,,
too much is made of issues like this,,,,,,,,,, there are more important things to worry about....... :doh:hmmmm2:

As a northerner I have to say that the first time a teen called me ma'am I was highly offended.The teen was not at all trying to be rude though.It was all my issue at being shocked that someone actually thought I was a ma'am.I guess he is a southener and was trying to be respectful?I personally wouldn't have mentioned it if I were her,still don't know why people bother with silly news like this though.(not the op,I just wonder why in general we even know about this silly stuff)

freeby4me
06-19-2009, 04:34 AM
As a northerner I have to say that the first time a teen called me ma'am I was highly offended.The teen was not at all trying to be rude though.It was all my issue at being shocked that someone actually thought I was a ma'am.I guess he is a southener and was trying to be respectful?I personally wouldn't have mentioned it if I were her,still don't know why people bother with silly news like this though.(not the op,I just wonder why in general we even know about this silly stuff)

This is exactly what I was trying to say, thank you.

littlebuggy
06-19-2009, 04:50 AM
In the military when you address a senior officer you refer to them as sir or ma'am. That's why I find it hard to believe that he was trying to be rude or condesending. I find it rude on her part that she interrupted him to demand he call her senator. If it was a big deal she could have waited until he was done speaking and mentioned it then. I guess this tipped me off because I'm really tired of so many people being so wrapped up in themselves that no one else on this planet matters. People need to start having respect, and being considerate of one another. This just seemed like another example of me, me, me.

freeby4me
06-19-2009, 06:09 AM
In the military when you address a senior officer you refer to them as sir or ma'am. That's why I find it hard to believe that he was trying to be rude or condesending. I find it rude on her part that she interrupted him to demand he call her senator. If it was a big deal she could have waited until he was done speaking and mentioned it then. I guess this tipped me off because I'm really tired of so many people being so wrapped up in themselves that no one else on this planet matters. People need to start having respect, and being considerate of one another. This just seemed like another example of me, me, me.

I dont see it that way, it goes both ways you know. Using the title "Senator" is respectful. They did get appointed that title after all.
Its already been stated that some people find "ma'am" RUDE. What part of that is hard to understand? You find it unbelievable because its not rude to you?? Well, it may be rude to her and IF he is trying to be respectful, the respectful thing is to call her what she wishes.

Maybe a few of you should get over yourselves.

candygirl
06-19-2009, 06:40 AM
I dont see it that way, it goes both ways you know. Using the title "Senator" is respectful. They did get appointed that title after all.
Its already been stated that some people find "ma'am" RUDE. What part of that is hard to understand? You find it unbelievable because its not rude to you?? Well, it may be rude to her and IF he is trying to be respectful, the respectful thing is to call her what she wishes.

:yeah:yeah

krisharry
06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with her wanting to be addressed as senator after all that is the position she holds. However, I do think she could have been much more tactful about it. No reason to be biotchy.

littlebuggy
06-19-2009, 08:18 AM

Well maybe when she is dealing with the military she could take some time to understand what their customs are. Seen as how she's a senator that shouldn't be too much to ask. I'm sure this isn't the first time she's been called ma'am! If she wishes to be called senator to fuel her little ego fine, that's her choice. But to CLEARLY interrupt him as he's trying to answer her question is RUDE!! Just for the sake of, "do me a favor...." What part of that do you not understand?

hblueeyes
06-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Military customs are that those of higher rank will be addressed as sir/ma'am. If he is a general, thogh 1 star, there are very few woman he would address as ma'am. he did not refer to male senators as sir but rather senator. So he was a bit off but she could have handled it better.

Me

galeane29
06-19-2009, 09:04 AM

WTH is that suppose to mean?
Seriously, what is your problem? You cannot say a damn thing on here without being hateful.

So someone feels disrespected when called ma'am and others find it a sign of respect. It's a regional or culture difference.

Why is it if it is not your way it is wrong?

How about get over YOURSELF!!

ElleGee
06-19-2009, 09:11 AM
As a northerner I have to say that the first time a teen called me ma'am I was highly offended.The teen was not at all trying to be rude though.It was all my issue at being shocked that someone actually thought I was a ma'am.I guess he is a southener and was trying to be respectful?I personally wouldn't have mentioned it if I were her

:yeah I feel the same way.. I feel really old when someone calls me ma'am. I know they aren't being rude it's just something that bugs me

atprm
06-19-2009, 09:12 AM
I am retired military -- I refer to anyone I do not know as either Ma'am or Sir. "Senator" is a PAID title and is, a TITLE...too many think that there is prestige going with a TITLE. Ma'am or Sir is out of respect for someone you do not know intimately.

I think she is a b*tch and she doesn't even deserve to be called "ma'am".

anothersta
06-19-2009, 11:58 AM
I am retired military -- I refer to anyone I do not know as either Ma'am or Sir. "Senator" is a PAID title and is, a TITLE...too many think that there is prestige going with a TITLE. Ma'am or Sir is out of respect for someone you do not know intimately.

I think she is a b*tch and she doesn't even deserve to be called "ma'am".

:yeah
Babs is SUPPOSE TO BE a servant to the people. There is video all over the web where the general is calling the male senators Sir and they don't have a problem with it.

I think BABS needs to get over herself!! How dare she disrespect a General by interrupting him with her petty insecurities.

YankeeMary
06-19-2009, 12:16 PM
She wasn't as "nice" as she could have been but I totally understand her wanting to be called Senator. I mean if you address the President, its Mr. President. Or if you are a doctor people call you Dr. Such and such. I think she should be paid the same respect.

jeanea33
06-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I dont have a problem with her wanting to be called senator. She didnt have to be rude to get her point across. The Man she was rude to Brig. Gen. Michael Walsh, he deserves the same respect from her. Doesnt he have the right to snap at her and ask her to call him General? Who do you respect more the military or the senate? I personally respect the military. How can you respect the senate when it has become such a joke?

freeby4me
06-19-2009, 02:52 PM
WTH is that suppose to mean?
Seriously, what is your problem? You cannot say a damn thing on here without being hateful.

So someone feels disrespected when called ma'am and others find it a sign of respect. It's a regional or culture difference.

Why is it if it is not your way it is wrong?

How about get over YOURSELF!!

Take a look around. The only reason why i'm "hateful" is because I'm a democrat and I dont "fit in" with the cool crowd here. Yea I know it sucks when someone doesnt roll over and stop fighting.

I'm not the one ragging on a lady who wanted to be called something else, its the Republicans who are WHINING about some bs not even important story, AGAIN. Surprise surprise.

gmyers
06-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Take a look around. The only reason why i'm "hateful" is because I'm a democrat and I dont "fit in" with the cool crowd here. Yea I know it sucks when someone doesnt roll over and stop fighting.

I'm not the one ragging on a lady who wanted to be called something else, its the Republicans who are WHINING about some bs not even important story, AGAIN. Surprise surprise.

What does your being a democrat have to do with this topic? Nothing at all that I can see.

freeby4me
06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
What does your being a democrat have to do with this topic? Nothing at all that I can see.

Go read her response to my post, then read mine and come back. You wont have to ask.

gmyers
06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Go read her response to my post, then read mine and come back. You wont have to ask.

I did read it but I still don't see what it has to do with you're being democrat. Or about republicans for that matter.

freeby4me
06-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Its simple, she asked why im always so negative and nasty. If you look at my posts, the only ones that could be seen as "negative and nasty" are the political threads. Thats because the majority on here right now are Republicans and if you're not, you're stupid, nasty, mean, Obama worshipper, someone who's blindly following and any other stupid crap they can possibly come up with.
She's tired of me TALKING. She wants to spew her hatred and not have anyone say anything about it. Well, tuff nookies.

gmyers
06-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Its simple, she asked why im always so negative and nasty. If you look at my posts, the only ones that could be seen as "negative and nasty" are the political threads. Thats because the majority on here right now are Republicans and if you're not, you're stupid, nasty, mean, Obama worshipper, someone who's blindly following and any other stupid crap they can possibly come up with.
She's tired of me TALKING. She wants to spew her hatred and not have anyone say anything about it. Well, tuff nookies.

I guess I'm dense but I just saw her responding to you saying people needed to get over themselves. Thats not spewing hatred,

anothersta
06-19-2009, 03:50 PM
who are WHINING about some bs not even important story, AGAIN. Surprise surprise.

Yesterday, while the Senate was kicking around the healthcare bill and talking about healthcare benefits for employees being taxed, guess what ammendment was presented??

Guess 3 times and then I'll tell ya

ANSWER: Union employees would be exempt from the tax.

any thoughts on that one. It was a Dem who presented and Dems who are supporting the ammendment. Wasn't giving them TWO car companies enough?

YNKYH8R
06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Boxer, the U.S. Senator, Chides Brigadier General for Calling Her 'Ma'am'
The feisty California lawmaker reminds an Army brigadier general of her title after he has the apparent gall to call her "ma'am."

FOXNews.com

Thursday, June 18, 2009

0 x
in order to recommend a story, you must login or register.
0 Comments | Add Comment
ShareThisIn case you forgot, Barbara Boxer is a senator.

The feisty California lawmaker felt the need to remind an Army brigadier general of that fact Tuesday during a hearing before her Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, where the military officer testifying had the apparent gall to call Boxer "ma'am."

Brig. Gen. Michael Walsh, with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, was testifying on the Louisiana coastal restoration process in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. He began to answer one of Boxer's questions with "ma'am" when Boxer immediately cut him off.

"You know, do me a favor," a piqued Boxer said. "Could say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?'"

"Yes, ma'am," Walsh interjected.

"It's just a thing, I worked so hard to get that title, so I'd appreciate it, yes, thank you," she said.

"Yes, senator," he responded.

YOU DECIDE: Super Sensitive or Right On?

However, Walsh surely meant no disrespect, as military protocol advises that officers may use "sir" or "ma'am" when addressing anybody higher than them on the chain of command.

According to one guide, the Navy and Coast Guard typically use "mister" or "miss" to address officers below the rank of commander, and "sir" or "ma'am," or a specific title, to address anyone at that rank or higher.

"You can never go wrong by using 'Sir' or 'Ma'am,' but it is a nice touch if you can properly address a senior officer," says the guide, Military Protocol: Uniformed Services.

Tuesday's hearing was hardly the first time a military officer used those terms during sworn testimony.

The same day at a Senate Armed Services subcommittee hearing, two Navy officials repeatedly referred to Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss., with the title, "sir."

"Yes, sir," Navy Vice Adm. Bernard McCullough said when answering questions.

Wicker raised no objections.

Click here to watch the Boxer-Walsh exchange.

This is news......why?

anothersta
06-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Kinda funny about the things Babs will worry about. If I were a Senator in CA, I'd be ALOT more worried about this than what someone calls me!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519818,00.html#

Wonder if the minnows will have to refer to her as Senator?

And as for her working hard to get her title???

WE'RE ALL working hard to bail out her friggin' state!

How DARE she interrupt and 'scold' a GENERAL for what he addresses her as. How DARE SHE? If she's so petty that she had to mention the 'Senator' thing, she could've at LEAST not interrupted him! She should be embarrassed.

anothersta
06-19-2009, 07:15 PM

She shouldn't have interrupted him, no matter how you look at it. It was very disrespectful to the General.

She owes him an apology.

galeane29
06-19-2009, 07:58 PM

I've spewed no such hatred! and if you knew how to read you would know that I said you were hateful I did not say 'negative and nasty' but hey if the shoe fits.

Airbuswife
06-19-2009, 09:03 PM
i agree that she should have been more tactful and had more couth in the situation.

i for one do not like being called Ma'am. I havent earned the title. Call my Grandmother that, she has earned it!

freeby4me
06-20-2009, 04:55 AM
I've spewed no such hatred! and if you knew how to read you would know that I said you were hateful I did not say 'negative and nasty' but hey if the shoe fits.

Haha ha ha.

freeby4me
06-20-2009, 07:31 AM
I guess I'm dense but I just saw her responding to you saying people needed to get over themselves. Thats not spewing hatred,

I have not seen hatred come out of you in your posts. You agree and disagree and post and respond and thats it. I can totally understand how you dont see it, thats fine. In fact, that shows more of what type of person you are, which is good.
Politics were always a "nasty" subject but now its gotten downright evil.

BS stories like this arent even newsworthy, but Republicans HAVE to post about stuff like this because they dont have anything else. When a democrat comes along and calls them out on BS like this, guess who gets raked over, the Democrat. Well, I dont much care. I'd rather get raked over and keep calling them out on bs like this then sit back and take it like they want us to. Nothing like complacency to make them happy. Now why would I do that and make them happy?

freeby4me
06-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Yesterday, while the Senate was kicking around the healthcare bill and talking about healthcare benefits for employees being taxed, guess what ammendment was presented??

Guess 3 times and then I'll tell ya

ANSWER: Union employees would be exempt from the tax.

any thoughts on that one. It was a Dem who presented and Dems who are supporting the ammendment. Wasn't giving them TWO car companies enough?

Do something about the corruption in your own party and maybe then i'll listen to the hatred and nastiness about the Democrats.

galeane29
06-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Funny how you are the only one that has labeled yourself in this damned thread.
What the hell does this have to do with anyone's political affiliation?

Your one of those ridiculous people that cannot be talked to within reason, you always want to pick a fight no matter what the subject.

So what if this subject is not newsworthy, you posted in the flipping thread with your opinion and others did too. Move on already...

FYI I'm a Conservative and my political affiliation has nothing to do with my thoughts on the subject, it's my personal opinion.

(https://universe.chacha.com/expertSessionView#)

freeby4me
06-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Funny how you are the only one that has labeled yourself in this damned thread.
What the hell does this have to do with anyone's political affiliation?

Your one of those ridiculous people that cannot be talked to within reason, you always want to pick a fight no matter what the subject.

So what if this subject is not newsworthy, you posted in the flipping thread with your opinion and others did too. Move on already...

FYI I'm a Conservative and my political affiliation has nothing to do with my thoughts on the subject, it's my personal opinion.

(https://universe.chacha.com/expertSessionView#)

Oh on the contrary, I can be more than reasoned with, its the "conservatives" that cannot. Thats already been more than made clear.
Yes, I've outed the stupidity of such a thread so I get told to "move on" because you dont like being called out. How appropriate.

galeane29
06-20-2009, 07:55 AM
How did you call me out? You made yourself look like a moron by coming in here throwing your weight around trying to pick a damned fight as usual.

All's I said was down here in the south calling someone ma'am is a show of respect. Several others state their feelings, thoughts and opinions and you went off about democrats and republicans AGAIN!

freeby4me
06-20-2009, 08:00 AM
Whatever. I'd rather be thought of a moron than sitting down and not saying a damn thing and letting ya'll continue you on with your ridiculous attacks.
Did you ever stop and look at the stuff being posted on here? Theres like 1 freebie per 1000 posts of bashing the Democrats.

galeane29
06-20-2009, 08:05 AM
I've not attack anyone. When I speak my mind, it is my opinion on the topic. I don't look myself in with any 'group' as you do being a Democrat.
And yes, I have read, I read on here every day I just don't post much for this damn reason. I'm not here to go back and forth on peoples need to try to indoctrinate me on their stupid political bull crap. No matter how much you argue with someone on their opinion, it is not going to change their feelings on the subject. It only pisses people off because they are being made to feel that their opinion is wrong.

galeane29
06-20-2009, 08:08 AM
And another thing, what does all this crap have to do with the topic of this thread?
Some stuck up sorry SOB was rude because she was called ma'am. She handled it wrong, she could have talked to him in private at a later time not made a spectacle of her self by causing drama. She was rude and he was, in his mind being respectful.