PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help?

Jenefer3
06-14-2009, 06:36 PM
I was going through boxes of stuff in my room and found a soldier's handbook from 1941. It has a name of a soldier and I was curious about finding him or his family and seeing if they would like it? I'm not sure how we ended up with it, it was in my grandpa's thing when he died, but I figured someone in his family might like to have it? Or maybe not. I have his name and some other information that's written in the back but have no idea how to start finding him or his family. Thanks.

Faithfully
06-14-2009, 07:07 PM
You can try looking at Military.com.
You can put his name into the search records, and see if anything comes up?

shellysms
06-14-2009, 07:16 PM
jenefer..i'm sure his family would like this book. I hope you can find someone in his family.

ilovecats
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
No advice,sorry.I just wanted to say that is very thoughtful of you.I hope you are able to find them,I bet they would be very thankful.Good luck.

Jenefer3
06-14-2009, 07:39 PM
You can try looking at Military.com.
You can put his name into the search records, and see if anything comes up?

Thanks, I tried looking on there but couldn't come up with anything. I put a post in the forum there asking for help, so maybe someone can help me find him? It can't hurt to ask. :)

jasmine
06-14-2009, 07:46 PM
that is really neat!! Wish you luck in getting the book back into families hands!

iluvmybaby
06-14-2009, 08:16 PM
I was going through boxes of stuff in my room and found a soldier's handbook from 1941. It has a name of a soldier and I was curious about finding him or his family and seeing if they would like it? I'm not sure how we ended up with it, it was in my grandpa's thing when he died, but I figured someone in his family might like to have it? Or maybe not. I have his name and some other information that's written in the back but have no idea how to start finding him or his family. Thanks.

Why dont you contact the branch that he serviced in, a LOT of the branches still keep records of soldiers, old and new.

Faithfully
06-15-2009, 02:05 AM
You can try looking at SSDI.com, since he has probably passed.
It usually gives the last place where a person has lived,before they die, good luck!

LitWtch
06-15-2009, 02:41 AM
Check with your local Veteran's Association and Red Cross. At the very least, they can tell you where to begin your search. I'm certain the family would like to have a keepsake such as you found.

mosdata1
06-15-2009, 06:39 AM
I was thinking the Red Cross should be able to help you. I know that one of the things they do, is help locate & reunite families.

This is a very nice thing you are doing.

The Mormons also keep a database on past census stats, so maybe you could find his name there.
I believe it is still free to do a search.

evrita
06-15-2009, 09:21 AM
I was thinking the American Legion they are more helpful then the VA the VA has to keep a lot of things in confidence.

ssgjeg
06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Maybe the local VFW, also?

Anniston
06-16-2009, 11:38 AM
That is very sweet of you and I hope you find them. I too, would check the local VFW, as they may know of search options that the average person does not.