PDA

View Full Version : The aftermath of knee surgery

DBackFan
06-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I really haven't talked about it here but had to have knee surgery yesterday and I am not doing very well. :bawling:

I had a meniscus tear, floating debris and a ganglion cyst that formed from the tendon leaking.

I have kept my leg up and icing it but my foot is so swollen now as well as my whole leg, The bandage is way tight and they said i can't loosen it until tomorrow. :bawling:

Oh and I am doing all of this with NO pain meds because they make me sick.

4diego
06-12-2009, 04:28 PM
That sounds awful! Hope you get to feeling better really soon.

dinosmom
06-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Oh my goodness! HUGS to you. I would be a basketcase without pain meds!!! I would either have to turn to a great deal of booze or have someone knock me over the head unconcious (however you spell it)! LOL Hope you heal FAST and with minimal pain.

whatever
06-12-2009, 04:46 PM
dino thanks for the laugh and I agree I hate surgery! If you have to go under anthesia it makes me sick. I am NOT a drinker so I would be a baby If I could NOT have meds and it was pretty painful. I hope it gets better VERY fast.
Hang in there.

DBackFan
06-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I try not to be a wuss but I am being one today, :(

evrita
06-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Did they give you a cyro cuff?? I am rather surprised they didnt give you a pump that can be placed direct into the knee and shoots medicine direct to the area over a period of time and it doesnt really affect your body just the spot where the surgery was done. You wear it on a fanny pack it worked great after I had mine done the 2nd time around. Keep an eye on the color of your foot you can get DVT with that surgery. ((HUGS)) not a wuss it hurts like heck

mabby89
06-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Can they give you different pain med? Or do all of them make you sick? I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug

ilovecats
06-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Hope the pain goes away soon.

sheila_361
06-12-2009, 06:12 PM
hope you get to feeling better soon :hug

DBackFan
06-12-2009, 06:33 PM
all pain meds make me sick but I did take a 1/2 one awhile ago. I can't even take the 800 ibuprofens they gave me because I am on celebrex.

i will survive, thanks all,

iluvmybaby
06-12-2009, 06:45 PM
There is pain meds that have anti nasuea medicine, it is mostily prescribed for dental, but you might want to ask your doc. Hope you feel better soon

YankeeMary
06-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Get a script of Phenagan. It does wonders for being sick. I also get sick on pain meds but I take a Phenagan with it and I don't get sick. I can't imagine how you are feeling. UGH!

gmyers
06-12-2009, 07:50 PM
You're braver than I am, I pop pain killers lately for everything. I hope you get to feeling better and the swelling goes down fast.

shadowcats
06-12-2009, 08:54 PM
maybe a good laugh will make you feel better , remember that peanut butter fudge you made for me,,,,,,, and i told you it would be safe from my hubby since he professed to hate peanut butter ,,,,,,,,,,, well guess who ate over half of my fudge while i was at the store,,,,,,,,,, ya mr, oopss i didnt know it was peanut butter fudge .lol and he still had the nerve to do that skit on oliver ,,,,,,,,,,, standing at the bedroom door ,,,,,,, PLEASE SIR CAN I HAVE SOME MORE,,,,,,,,,,,, ya a grown man ,,,,,,,,s****** , oh well what could i do , i ended up letting him have more , now he wants me to get some more ,,,,,,,,, lol so when your feeling better let me know , i need another batch,,,,,,,,,,,s****** guess i ll have to put it under lock and key , s****** or he ll snitch it while im out ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
get better soon dear ,,,,,,ps
email me your snail mail addy , ive got a card and prezzy for you,
sharon
:rofl::):rolling:wavey::wavey:

jcw
06-12-2009, 09:53 PM
hope you get to feeling better soon

BeanieLuvR
06-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Awww sorry to hear you are feeling bad. I hope you are feeling better soon. :hug

dv8grl
06-13-2009, 04:39 AM
Hope its feeling better this morning.
:hug

DBackFan
06-13-2009, 08:01 AM
Actually it IS better today. Today I could take that awful tight ace bandage part off but have to leave the dressing on until Monday. The swelling is down and I slept well. Now I just need to take it easy so I don't get it throbbing agan..lol
Thanks you guys :hug

harleyky
06-13-2009, 11:04 AM
I had almost the exact same surgery last summer. Ice seemed to help more than the meds, for me. After a few sessions of PT everything was fine. Good luck and ICE that knee!

Jenefer3
06-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Hope it's feeling better soon. :hug

I've never had it but I had to help one of my friends after she had it. It was her second one on that knee. OMG first time I saw it I thought something was wrong with it but she assured me it wasn't. It took her about 6 weeks before she was really feeling great, but she's also 70.

cathych
06-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Actually it IS better today. Today I could take that awful tight ace bandage part off but have to leave the dressing on until Monday. The swelling is down and I slept well. Now I just need to take it easy so I don't get it throbbing agan..lol
Thanks you guys :hug I had the exact same surgery several years ago. Do not overexert your knee, no matter what they tell you. Let it heal. Sit with it propped it, watch tv for a while. It will take a while for your knee to get back to normal, after all, it has all your body weight on it when you stand up.

cabby92
06-13-2009, 01:55 PM
I hope it's even better today.

My mom can't take pain meds either and I have seen her suffer greatly. Why can't they make patches for light or medium strength pain meds since so many people have problems with them? Heck, she'd be happy with aspirin patches.

Uhm, peanut butter fudge? And there's none here in PA? Well then.

DBackFan
06-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Ha! I made a batch of peanut butter fudge for Sharon awhile back and she said it was the best she ever tasted :D Its getting a bit hot to ship fudge right now but I make it a lot for people closer to the holidays. I have made it for sweetberries too as well as several people on here a few years ago.

Sharon I will PM you my addy. Thank you :hug

Unicornmom77
06-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh no! I am so sorry, I sure wish I lived closer so I could come help you, I know you and your strong willed, and I am sure you try to do too much!! Sit on your butt and rest woman! We will be praying for a quick recovery!

shadowcats
06-13-2009, 06:00 PM
started something with the fudge talk huh,,,,,,,,,, lol and it is the best ive ever tasted ....... and my husband can prove it that piglet , he ate most of it and asked if i could get more,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ya like im going to let him know when i get more. lol ,,,,,,,,,,,, although he does a good oliver immatation , s****** ,,,,,,,,, and hes too good looking for his own good,,,,,,,, well i hope your knee is better today , and do as they said STAY OFF THAT KNEE as long as possible,,,,,,,,,,,,, email me if you get antzy , i m up late most nites,,,,,,
sharon

buglebe
06-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't have anything done without pain med to use afterwards. I used to be pretty tough but since having fibromyalgia the smallest pain hurts. My daughter had a hard time and went through several surgeries without pain meds because they caused vomiting. She tried the phenergan etc but it didn't work. She has finally found one she can use just by trial and error and it works pretty good. I hope you get better fast. I had that surgery without the cyst and it wasn't bad for me but I did have pain pills. I've had lots of surgeries including having my colon removed and I have to say the shoulder surgery was the absolute worst.

adorkablex
06-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Get a script of Phenagan. It does wonders for being sick. I also get sick on pain meds but I take a Phenagan with it and I don't get sick. I can't imagine how you are feeling. UGH!

Same here. Pain medicine and I do NOT get along, so they always give me Phenagan. OR you can get Dramamine over the counter which counter acts the nausea a little bit.

DBackFan
06-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks everyone but thankfully unless I overdo it my pain is minimal and I HATE taking any type of pill so since I got thru the worst of it I am fine. I even went outside and watered plants this morning. :)