PDA

View Full Version : Some people go to extreme measures at the expense of others...

Anniston
06-04-2009, 08:10 PM
I spoke to my high school best friend this week. She told me about having brought her brother (he is special needs) to a job training program run at a university.

She asked me, "Do you remember 'Jane Smith' that used to work at the gas station?" She asked about "Jane" as she was a worker there (known for being an a**) when we were in high school.

My friend did not know that I know exactly who she is due to her sister being someone I am very close to. So I said, "Yeah, I remember her...she is so-and-so's sister."

Well, it turned out, "Jane" was working the program, pretending to be special needs when she is not!

Is that not the worst that one could do? I encouraged my friend to bust her out when she goes back to the program. What a loser this chick is. I am pissed because there are so many looking for jobs, and she should not exploit a program meant to help a certain demographic.

hesnothere
06-05-2009, 03:44 AM
Damn, tell me where she is and I'll drop a dime on her.

LitWtch
06-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Perhaps she DOES have special needs - after all, you have to qualify to be eligible for that sort of program, and they don't just take your word for it that you do qualify. She would have needed some sort of doctors diagnosis or be on public service program that would allow her to receive special training. Not everybody in that sort of program has diminished mental capacity. They could have environmewntal issues that prevented them from getting proper job training. They could be receiving treatment on some sor of rehabilatative program that includes job training. Personally i think the "friend" needs to mind her own business.

pepperpot
06-05-2009, 05:17 AM
See here's the dilemma, one gets it from both sides.....

"They" say, 'if you see something, say something' and I agree with this as how else can anything ever get corrected if it's not brought to the attention for someone to 'fix' it...whatever it may be.

But then there are some who say, "It's none of your business" which also carries some merit as well.......

So either way, if you 'see something', someone will be mad at you.....:lol.....follow your heart and conscience.

Mary Jo
06-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I agree with pepperpot.
You can v&w all you want here.
I've known people who have lied to get food stamps and disability.
The fact is that most government workers are so overworked they just don't have the time to do a thorough investigation.
I've also heard stories from people on this forum that when they tried to turn in somebody (I believe it was a tax cheat) that they got all sorts of heat from the agency they were trying to help.My advice is to think about it for a few days before you decide to act on it.

dv8grl
06-05-2009, 02:12 PM
You still have no idea if its completely true or not.
What if they offer certain classes to eveyone.
If you really want to start something, start with her & ask her in-person.

fairydana
06-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Something might have happened to her since high school. You just never really know.

I know that I am not perfect, I do have issues. I live my life daily trying my hardest to not let anyone else know that I do have problems. I enjoy being around people and always have but I am not fixing to raise my hard and have all eyes turn to me and begin to pity me or QUESTION me.

Good luck with whatever you decide.!

JKATHERINE
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm sure it depends on the state you live in, but several disabilities qualify you for those types of programs here in Maine--one of which is Aspberger's. I know several people with this condition and the symptoms can vary greatly. You say that Jane was an "a$$," well, I can tell you that at least a couple of the people that I know who have Aspberger's can be real a$$es. People with this condition tend to lack social skills and this often gets them labeled "jerks." I have a friend who has a child with Aspberger's and it qualifies him for services like this. JMO.

Anniston
06-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, I am not going to say anything, and doubt my friend will, but I think she should.

Since I know this woman's sister, I know her history and this would not have been the first scam she pulled. And since my other friend knows a lot about this specific program, due to her getting her brother in it, I know for a fact that this woman does not meet the criteria for that specific program, even if she has some issues that may get her into another job training program.

So, it really is not speculation on my part. This is a program for people who lack the skills to fill out a job application, balance a checkbook and things of that nature and she is certainly not that. My friend's brother needs a lot of help with all of that and my friend had to fight tooth and nail just to get her brother into it.

fairydana
06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
((Anniston)) Its never easy to make any kind of decision like this.

But you do know her past as well as her family, and you also know that she has been known to scam people over. Knowing all that I might be one to say a little something to her.

Yea, I know sometimes I am a little devil!

speedygirl
06-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm of the mind set of not saying anything unless you were 100% sure and had proof to back it up. I have a good friend of many years who was emotionally up and down and told me after hiding it for years that she was bipolar and had been been diagnosed with another psych issue. Things aren't always what they seem and people keep things hidden regardless of how well you know them so you really don't know without concrete evidence of her scamming them.

Anniston
06-05-2009, 09:11 PM
As I said, I think my friend should say something. She really went through a lot to get her brother into the program, as he was being billed as too skilled for the program. And he is not at all as competent as this woman is. The only thing that could have happened to this woman to make her in the same demographic as my friend's brother would be a major head injury/illness. And I know that did not happen due to the fact that I know her sister very well.

Well, in the end, she will probably have gotten a job so all in all, not so bad. Just sucks for others in other counties trying like heck to get into a specific program for special needs.

This program was at a state university, hours away from the county they both reside in.