PDA

View Full Version : dh's sister and her husband were in a motorcycle accident

ttistin
06-02-2009, 07:38 PM
we got a call about an hour ago, one of dh's sisters was calling to say that his youngest sister and her husband were in a motorcycle accident tonight, just before 9:00 NY time.

They are both in their early 20's...dh is really upset but trying not to show it. I am trying to be strong for him because I know he needs me to be, but I am so worried about them both.

pepperpot
06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Wow, so sorry to hear this....I hope they'll be alright.....:(

gmyers
06-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I hope they weren't hurt really bad.

ttistin
06-02-2009, 08:18 PM
We just heard that dh's sister has a fractured cheek bone and two broken ribs. Not sure what else yet if anything, we are hearing a little at a time.

They are still doing tests on her and her dh is still in xray. so far we know he has a broken leg.

speedygirl
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Thank goodness they weren't hurt worse. I hope that's the extent of their injuries and everything else is okay.

jcw
06-02-2009, 09:06 PM
sending healing vibes their way

gmyers
06-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Thats bad enough. I hope they weren't hurt any badder and that they heal fast and aren't in a lot of pain.

Shann
06-03-2009, 04:38 AM
how awful :( I hope that's the end of their injuries, sending thoughts.

Army-Mom
06-03-2009, 04:47 AM
sending prayers. hope they will be okay

iluvmybaby
06-03-2009, 07:07 AM
I sincerily hope that your DHs sister and her husband will be OK. Ppl do not look for motorcycles

fleabones3
06-03-2009, 07:56 AM
So sorry to hear that.. I hope both will be ok..they are in my prayers

ElleGee
06-03-2009, 07:57 AM
I am so sorry to hear.. Hope they are ok.

meltodd69
06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Hugs!!!!

ttistin
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
He has a broken leg and the hospital sent him home last night, They wouldn't let him spend the night in dh's sisters room cause they said he made the other patient uncomfortable. So he wasn't able to stay with his wife.

Dh's sister has the fractured cheek and two broken ribs. I guess they hit the dear. Dh's mom was pulling dear fur off her neck, Her helmet broke and she is covered in road rash. As bad as it is I do believe she is only here because she hit the dear. If she would have hit the road head on I know it would have been much worse.

Dh is having a really hard time with this. He hates being this far away when things are going on with his family like this. First his mom and now his little sister.

dinosmom
06-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow! Thoughts and prayers and hugs.

ttistin
06-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Well it took a while to find out but we finally found out that he does not have a broken leg. He has major road rash and is beat up a little but is other wise fine.

They were going to let dh's sister go home today but when they tried to get her to stand she ended up getting sick everywhere, she had a air pocket under her ribs. So they are going to keep her another night because they said she wasn't stable enough.

ElleGee
06-03-2009, 01:52 PM
How horrible.. How does one get an air pocket under the ribs?

ttistin
06-03-2009, 02:05 PM
How horrible.. How does one get an air pocket under the ribs?

I have no idea, I was thinking it was from her breaking two of them? But I really have no idea. Must be very painful though.

pepperpot
06-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Broken rib punctured a lung?

ttistin
06-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Broken rib punctured a lung?

Last I knew they were trying to figure that out. I haven't heard anything and I am not sure if dh has heard anything yet.

I hate being this far away when something happens, I really think they think we do not care. It is like pulling teeth trying to get someone to let us know what is going on.

pepperpot
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I found this.....

What are the complications of rib injuries?
Most rib injuries heal well with no problems. Complications can occur if internal organs are damaged by the sharp end of a broken rib.

Pneumothorax
This occurs if the membrane around the lung is damaged. Air enters and forms a pocket of trapped air around the lung, which squashes the lung. The word 'pneumothorax', means air in the thorax. Symptoms include shortness of breath or pain on breathing - sometimes pain near the shoulder. A pneumothorax can show on a chest X-ray. It may need treatment to remove the trapped air under local anaesthetic.

A pneumothorax is usually noticed soon after the injury. However, it can occur later, even several days afterwards. So be alert for symptoms such as shortness of breath, increasing chest pain, or pain that is not near the fracture. Get urgent medical advice if you have any of these symptoms.

Rarely, a dangerous pneumothorax can occur where air is trapped under pressure. It compresses the lungs and causes increasing difficulty breathing. This is called a 'tension pneumothorax' and is a medical emergency. Anyone who has difficulty breathing or who feels more breathless than usual needs immediate medical help.

Air under the skin
A sharp fractured rib can let air from the lung get in underneath the skin. This causes a swollen or bubbly area which may crackle when pressed. It is called 'surgical emphysema'. It will clear up gradually. Surgical emphysema can sometimes be linked to a pneumothorax (see above), and the pneumothorax may need treatment.

Haemothorax
This is similar to a pneumothorax except that there is blood, not air, trapped around the lung. The blood collects at the base of the lung, so may cause shortness of breath or pain in the lower part of the chest. It is treated by draining off the trapped blood under local anaesthetic.

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27001382/

ttistin
06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Well like I said we are still finding things out...go figure

Anyway we found out tonight that she had a major concussion(sp) when the ambulance brought her to hospital. she broke the two ribs on the back side.

When they hit the deer it was kinda at an angle and dh's sister pretty much laid on top of deer as it was sliding down the road. He had bought her a thick heavy coat to wear while riding and she happen to be wearing it....another reason she is "ok" The coat was ripped to shreds, the road took a chunk out of her shoulder blade. but it could have been a whole lot worse.

gmyers
06-03-2009, 10:07 PM
I hope they both recover fast.

pepperpot
06-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Well like I said we are still finding things out...go figure

Anyway we found out tonight that she had a major concussion(sp) when the ambulance brought her to hospital. she broke the two ribs on the back side.

When they hit the deer it was kinda at an angle and dh's sister pretty much laid on top of deer as it was sliding down the road. He had bought her a thick heavy coat to wear while riding and she happen to be wearing it....another reason she is "ok" The coat was ripped to shreds, the road took a chunk out of her shoulder blade. but it could have been a whole lot worse.

Thank God she was wearing that helmet. Earlier you said that the helmet broke.....imagine if she wasn't wearing that.......*shudder*

Motorcycle riding is so dangerous to begin with, I don't understand why some people chose not to wear helmets and protective gear. I'm glad she did.

I hope she has a quick recovery.

ttistin
06-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Update....

She has fluid on the brain, she has short term memory loss. They are keeping her in the hospital. They are going to send her to a concussion clinic in a couple of weeks to see if she has amnesia or just short term memory loss.

magickay
06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Prayers for continued healing

ttistin
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
well we just found out tonight that she did not fracture her cheek....she broke the bone that goes along the top of the inside of your mouth. I am not sure why they told them she fractured her cheek, or maybe it was a miss communication with everyone.

We are trying to figure a way to go up for a few days, we have our wii on craigslist and some other things trying to sell them. my dad is supposed to give my dh a bonus in his check this week also so hopefully we can figure a way to go up.