PDA

View Full Version : China puts a stop to snake-bitten cock-in-a-pot

pepperpot
06-02-2009, 05:50 AM
:lol I just saw the title and had to post the story...........:rolling:

China puts a stop to snake-bitten cock-in-a-pot

BEIJING (Reuters) – Chinese health authorities are putting a stop to restaurants serving chickens which have been bitten to death by poisonous snakes and cooked up for a supposedly detoxing meal.

The dish, served by a small number of eateries in the southern province of Guangdong and the southwestern city of Chongqing, has generated a storm of publicity and controversy in the Chinese media and amongst bloggers.

A video showing a cook holding a snake and forcing it to bite a live chicken until it dies has been widely circulated online, (http:/you.video.sina.com.cn/b/21145091-1405053100.html) generating mainly angry comments.

"It's disgusting and really cruel," wrote one poster on the popular portal sina.com.cn.

"Not only is it cruel and blood-thirsty, but totally amoral," the Chongqing Business Daily cited a neighbor to one of the restaurants as saying.

Health authorities in Guangdong have already told restaurants to stop serving "poisonous snake-bitten chicken" and now those in Chongqing have joined in.

"Although nobody has been poisoned, this at the very least is an irregular way of slaughtering poultry," the business newspaper quoted a local health official as saying.

One dish, prized among some in Guangdong, is monkey brains scooped from a live animal, which has regularly upset animal rights campaigners in the West.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard and Nick Macfie; Editing by Sanjeev Miglani)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_food_odd

Oh yeah, let's take some more helpful hints from the Chinese.....:yikes:

:hmmmm: I wonder if Hill had some cock-in-a-pot while over there.....:lol

gmyers
06-02-2009, 06:11 AM
I'd be scared the poisen from the snake would kill me too. You take your life in your hands when you eat in foreign countries.

janelle
06-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I read they also being the fish to the table so fresh it is still wiggling. Half cooked but not dead yet. Those people are crazy.

gmyers
06-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I saw that they eat the fish while its still breathing on the plate. I couldn't do that I'd think it would hurt the fish. Who wants to be eaten alive.

pepperpot
06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Let's not forget the live monkey brains......:stunned:

Monkey brain is a controversial food, often attributed to the Chinese, but also found in certain other countries. The practice of eating monkey brains has led to over-hunting, especially due to the unfounded belief that eating the monkeys' brain can cure impotence.[1]

Live monkey brain was one of the items in the Manchu Han Imperial Feast as part of Imperial cuisine in Beijing during the Qing Dynasty. Paul Burrell, the former butler of Princess Diana, claims he was served monkey brains on banana leaves and coconut palms in one of their visits.[2]

The Anyang tribe of Cameroon practiced a tradition in which a new tribal chief would consume the brain of a hunted gorilla while another senior member of the tribe would eat the heart.[3]

It is not only humans who eat the brains of monkeys. Two species of chimpanzee are known to eat the brains of monkeys which provide fat in their diet

Consuming the brain and other nerve tissue of animals is not without risks. Besides the high fat content of brains,[5] brain consumption can also result in contracting fatal transmissible spongiform encephalopathies such as Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and other prion diseases in humans and mad cow disease in cattle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_brain_(cuisine)

Jolie Rouge
06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought Cajuns ate weird stuff ... that is something even Boudreaux wouldn't touch !

ilovecats
06-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Well,obviously I have a dirty mind.I thought this was a totally different subject.:rofl:

meltodd69
06-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Well,obviously I have a dirty mind.I thought this was a totally different subject.:rofl:

I'm with you :rofl: