PDA

View Full Version : Children, ages 3 and 7, found in river

Jenefer3
05-23-2009, 09:24 PM
PORTLAND — A searcher pulled the body of a 3-year-old boy from the Willamette River hours before daybreak on Saturday and rescued an injured 7-year-old girl after reports of screams on the water.

As police continued to search the broad river that runs through Portland, officials were releasing few details about what they were finding in their investigation.

Police said the boy's death was suspicious, but did not say how he died. Police didn't identify the children, or provide information on the girl's condition.

Officers were called to the Sellwood Bridge area around 1:20 a.m. Saturday after screams were reported by residents.

Upon arrival, officers also heard screams on the river but could not locate their source because of the early morning darkness, said Officer Greg Pashley of the Portland Police Bureau.

Portland Fire Bureau and Multnomah County River Patrol boats also responded to the scene with suburban Milwaukie police. The U.S. Coast Guard sent a helicopter to assist in the search.

"As you look down into the darkness it's hard to see anything," Pashley said. "I can't imagine what it must be like to be a child in this cold river."

A local resident who was searching with his boat found the children downstream of the bridge. At about 2:10 a.m., they were both taken to authorities gathered near the Oregon Yacht Club on the river's east shore, Pashley said.

Police continued to search both sides of the river. They also searched and blocked access to a dock on the west side of the river by midmorning Saturday.

An autopsy for the boy was pending.

Anyone with information was asked to call Portland police.

gmyers
05-23-2009, 10:08 PM
I bet its another case of parents trying to kill their kids.

Jenefer3
05-23-2009, 10:16 PM
I bet its another case of parents trying to kill their kids.

I was just coming here to update this.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- An Oregon mother was arrested Saturday in the drowning of her 4-year-old son after the boy and his 7-year-old sister ended up in the chilly Williamette River.

Residents saw the mother's car parked on the Sellwood Bridge near Portland and heard screams coming from the area. They called authorities and some jumped into boats to help search in the early morning darkness. After about an hour, a couple found the children downstream.

The boy, Eldon Jay Rebhan Smith, could not be revived; the girl was in a hospital and expected to survive.

"She's doing well," said Detective Sgt. Rich Austria of the Portland Police Bureau. "She has the will to live."

Austria said it was not immediately clear whether the children were pushed or fell into the river. They have not yet questioned the girl.

Police said the mother, Amanda Jo Stott-Smith, was taken into the custody at a downtown parking garage several hours after her children were found. Stott-Smith, 31, threatened to jump off the garage's ninth floor in before she was arrested, Austria said.

Stott-Smith faces aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder charges, Austria said.

A police spokesman said he did not know if Stott-Smith had an attorney.

Stott-Smith's blue 1991 Audi was seen parked on the Sellwood Bridge before residents heard the children's screams.

"Had they not been awake at one in the morning," Austria said, "we would investigating a case here with no children."

When police arrived, officers also heard screams on the river but could find the children because it was dark, said Officer Greg Pashley, a Portland Police Bureau spokesman.

"As you look down into the darkness it's hard to see anything," Pashley said. "I can't imagine what it must be like to be a child in this cold river."

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast

Just wanted to add that falling off the Sellwood bridge is about a 75 foot drop.

gmyers
05-23-2009, 11:02 PM
What is wrong with these parents today. Its just one case after another lately.

I want to say thanks to all you parents that love and take care of your kids. Theres so many out there that don't. You all deserve recognition for how you love and care for your kids. I hope God blesses each and every one of you and your families.

dv8grl
05-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Mother charged with murder in son's river drowning

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090527/ap_on_re_us/us_oregon_dead_child;_ylt=ArG9NCNvhdsANWyQQ.kaa4xG 2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTJyZGFnNXBsBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMDkwNTI3 L3VzX29yZWdvbl9kZWFkX2NoaWxkBHBvcwMxNQRzZWMDeW5fcG FnaW5hdGVfc3VtbWFyeV9saXN0BHNsawNtb3RoZXJjaGFyZ2U-

PORTLAND, Ore. – A mother accused of forcing her son and daughter off a bridge, causing the boy to drown, had just lost custody to their father, according to court documents.

Amanda Jo Stott-Smith, 31, and Jason F. Smith fought for custody of the children after he left their Tualatin home last year and moved to Eugene, court papers said.

Stott-Smith filed for separation in March and petitioned for sole custody of Eldon Jay Rebhan Smith, 4, and their 7-year-old daughter. A judge, citing the children's school schedules, ruled in April that the children should stay with their father in Eugene and that Stott-Smith could not visit them without his permission.

Court records also show that the mother has a history of domestic violence.

Stott-Smith was charged Tuesday with aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder. Police said the two children on Saturday were either tossed 75 feet from a bridge or fell into the Willamette River.

The boy drowned and the girl, whom authorities have not identified, was hospitalized. She was placed Tuesday in temporary custody of the state.

Stott-Smith was ordered to remain in custody. It wasn't immediately known whether she had retained an attorney.

gmyers
05-27-2009, 07:35 AM
You can't love your children if you can do that. I think a lot of time its a power issue with some people when they file for sole custody of the kids. They don't really love them they just don't want the other parent to have them. I think its revenge pure and simple with some people.

Jenefer3
05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
PORTLAND — A 7-year-old girl who survived a fall into the Willamette River is expected to be released from a hospital soon.

The attorney for the girl’s father says the family has been at the hospital ever since the child was rescued from the river early Saturday morning and that she appears to be recovering well.

But she has been told that her brother, 4-year-old Eldon Jay Rebhan Smith, died after the children plunged about 75 feet into the water from the Sellwood Bridge in Portland.

According to his attorney, the father, 33-year-old Jason F. Smith, is grieving and still in shock, but trying to remain strong for his daughter, who is in his custody.

The mother, 31-year-old Amanda Stott-Smith, is charged with aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder.

PrincessArky
05-28-2009, 05:03 AM
stupid B should have jumped would have saved the trouble and expense of finding her guilty and keeping her in prison