PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Food

missteena
05-10-2009, 11:38 AM
We are getting a new puppy in a little over a week and I had a question about puppy food. She has already been started in the small bites science diet puppy food but it's EXPENSIVE! and we want to turn her over onto something else. We were told there would be no problem doing this as long as we did so gradually. Anyways...what is a good puppy food that is fairly inexpensive? It doesn't have to be dirt cheap, but I would prefer not to have to pay $12/bag for 4 pounds of food like the science diet.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

SLance68
05-10-2009, 01:25 PM
My Vet always said to use Purina products - he really likes the Purina One line and they are not that expensive. I usually got the best prices on it at Target (cheaper there than at Wal-Mart).

Vee030473
05-10-2009, 02:15 PM
If you want a good puppy food,Nutro is a good line. But if you go too cheap,sometimes your puppy will develop allergies. My mini Dachshund is on Eukanuba for sensitive skin,we were feeding him Nutro and found out his skin was being aggravated from an ingredient in the food. My 9 year old dog was on Pedigree for the longest time but I switched her over to Nutro Senior. Less stools and less smell with the Nutro and up brands of dog food.

Purina One is the same as Science Diet,formulary speaking.

fleabones3
05-10-2009, 02:36 PM
My vet said if you arent going to use Iams or science diet,then the next best thing would be Purina puppy chow.

Kimberly61
05-10-2009, 04:49 PM
my dogs have always had purina...they all started with purina puppy chow and gradually worked their way up to just purina dog chow.......just be sure to do it gradually as it will cause gas and/or runny poo.......I think but not 100% certain that you can sign up on the purina website and get samples or coupons or even a free puppy kit...I know Purina has done this in the past....or you could simply email the company and tell them you are planning to switch foods and they may send you something for inquiring...always worth a shot.

when do you get the bring the lil cutie home?

meltodd69
05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Congrats on the Baby!

That's a great idea Kimberly61. I bet they will send you something, coupons at the least.

MistyWolf
05-10-2009, 11:11 PM
I only use Purina pet foods for my pets.

missteena
05-11-2009, 08:14 PM
when do you get the bring the lil cutie home?

One week! It couldn't come soon enough....

teenap
05-12-2009, 05:09 AM
my vet said to slowly allow at least ten days while switching foods
adorable pup there!

hotwheelstx
05-12-2009, 05:19 AM
I've used Purina for years for all my pets. Affordable, digestable, easy to find. Never had a problem with any pet eating their products.

Good luck with your new family member very sweet.