PDA

View Full Version : Attn tball parents

krisharry
05-09-2009, 11:34 AM
My vent about tball: I am not in charge of the league, I do not make the rules or decisions, I am the team mom. My job is to communicate all the logistics with you so the coach (who rarely shows up) doesn't have to. I make sure everyone has a uniform that fits (even though you gave the wrong size 2 times) I did our charity basket for the silent auction, I made sure everyone knew what was going on for spring carnival, picture day, league night, etc. I plan the team party and make sure everyone gets a trophy w/his name on it. I am at every practice lugging equipment and helping the coach. I am at every game chalking the field, making sure everyone gets to bat in the right order and making sure everyone has a helmet that fits, making sure every child get to bat every inning, bringing a cooler w/cold water for the games and practices and making sure drinks/snacks are covered for every game (I already provided this twice). I have asked for help, volunteers but no one not one parent of the 14 on the team has stepped up for anything. So while you are sitting in the shade drinking your iced latte while I am sweating my arse off on the field and you feel like you need to complain, you all can bite me!!!! I am doing this for the kids-mine and yours- so if you are not happy w/something, please by all means get off your behind and help. If not, please be so kind as to shut the eff up!!!

MizzouLady
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
It's the same problem everywhere. Parents want their kids involved, but someone else needs to do the work. Congrats on being there for your kid and the other kids.

Urban Cowgirl
05-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Yep...its always the same people that do the work!! I am volunteer coordinator for Dd's elementary school.....I know exactly which of the parents are willing to help...who will always say yes (if they can), I know which ones will say yes and never show up , and which ones either don't return my calls (EVER) or will flat out say no.

Out of 400 students I have about 20 parents that are more than willing to help whenever they can. There are a handful more that might help for the fun stuff (field day and what not).
Our T ball doesn't do snack (at least not for practice) & they haven't started games yet!

papadsgirls
05-09-2009, 07:50 PM
It's not only t-ball. It's everything children do. My daughter plays softball, needless to say, I make sure my child has everything she needs plus extras. Never know when someone is gonna show up without a glove, visor, what ever. But it's always the same parents helping or the same parents doing something. I have to give a big thanks to my daughters assistant coach. He and his wife might as well say they are coach and asst. They make sure everyone knows when games and practices are, they work with the kids anytime. If a child wants to pitch, he will work with them to learn. Today at pictures the coach left the team to go sit in the A/C. She didn't want to sweat. So the assistant coach made sure the girls warmed up and streatched. Well needless to say, when the girls won today, The assistant coach had the biggest smile on his face. All our girls look to him for advice and to better their game.
So there is always parents that gripe and grumble. Just next time someone wants to say something, Just Smile and say "All Help is Apprecated"! The dogout doors are always open!
Just remember, the kids always remember who helped them. Parents may not see it, but the kids do.

Jenefer3
05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow, when my son was on a soccer team it was like everyone was only worried about themselves. Of course I figured it was a group of jerks when one dad made got pissed at my son because he wasn't able to make a goal even though the ball was right there (my son had dropped to the ground having an asthma attack and had to be taken by ambulance). After that, any time my son got the ball near him, the dad would yell that now they'd lose the game. No one ever brought snacks or anything like that. The coach was one of those ones that has his kids on the team and pays more attention to them than anything else.

You may not hear it often but know that you are indeed appreciated. It takes a special kind of person to put that much energy and caring into making sure the kids have what they need. :)

YankeeMary
05-10-2009, 07:55 AM
As bad as it sucks now, enjoy it. Here it is many years later. My sons are basically grown. I was a mom just like you. I did every sport for every season as well as homeroom mom for both boys. And can you guess what??? I actually miss it!!! Hang on tight they grow up fast.

Urban Cowgirl
05-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't trade it for the world! I just cannot believe that some people don't/won't volunteer in some capacity for their kids. Sometimes I do get annoyed, here I am trying to call all the parents to get enough volunteers to make an event happen and I feel that I am letting the kids down if something gets canceled....even though its not really my fault.

YankeeMary
05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't trade it for the world! I just cannot believe that some people don't/won't volunteer in some capacity for their kids. Sometimes I do get annoyed, here I am trying to call all the parents to get enough volunteers to make an event happen and I feel that I am letting the kids down if something gets canceled....even though its not really my fault.

Its amazing that it always works out isn't it? You worry and worry, can't get help, don't feel like you do enough. Then in the end, the kids loved it and are so happy. And your kids might not let you know but they are ever so happy and proud that you are ALWAYS there. It will follow you through their highschool years. You will see these kids long after graduation and they will remember you. Its a great feeling!

krisharry
05-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks everyone, I was just in a "mood" yesterday, it was really hot and humid and after the game I overheard some snarky comments and then I had to cover the concessions stand for a few hours because there was a softball tournament and 2 people didn't show and I felt bad for the lady who was working as she never did it before. I'm sure I'll look back someday and miss all this stuff-they do grow up sooo fast. Yesterday was just one of those days! LOL

iluvmybaby
05-10-2009, 10:01 AM
My heart goes out to you, I am a volunteer for just about everything around town and I see that 99% of the time, no one else wants to do anything for anyone but themselves.

Anniston
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Wow, you are a busy lady with all you do in your role as a team mom. I am sorry that others are not stepping up to ease the load. It must really burn your tail...I know it would mine.

sunniekiss
05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
If you think T-ball is bad, wait until Little League. Trust me, do NOT volunteer to do anything other than help out at the concession stand.

I made the HUGE mistake of getting myself elected to the Board of Directors & believe me, when it came time for All Star selections, normally nice, quiet parents become raging loons. My phone would ring day & nite with parents upset over who was/was not chosen. I pulled my son from consideration even though he had the second best batting average b/c I got sick of the calls. These are the same parents who can not be bothered to bring their child to practice or pick him up after practice on time.

I DO NOT MISS IT AT ALL!!!!!

Bahet
05-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm vice President of the PTO. I understand completely. I call it the Henny-Penny Syndrome. "Who wants to help set up?" "Not I." "Not I." "Not I." "Who wants to bring food?" "Not I." "Not I." "Not I." "Who wants to help work?" "Not I." "Not I." "Not I." "Who wants to attend the event?" "I do!" "I do!" "I do!"

It's even worse when they are complete ingrates. I've had parents complain that there wasn't enough diet soda. I just look at them and say "Oh I'm so sorry!" I was getting donations from businesses, decorating, setting up, begging for volunteers, coordinating with the Principal, and trying to find prizes. Thank you for being willing to take over the soda for the next function. Here, just give me your name and phone number and I'll let you know the budget and who's donating. I just didn't have time to go pick up more."

It's amazing how fast they run off. They want it to be done and done to their standards but only as long as they don't have to do it.

krisharry
05-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm vice President of the PTO. I understand completely. I call it the Henny-Penny Syndrome. "Who wants to help set up?" "Not I." "Not I." "Not I." "Who wants to bring food?" "Not I." "Not I." "Not I." "Who wants to help work?" "Not I." "Not I." "Not I." "Who wants to attend the event?" "I do!" "I do!" "I do!"

It's even worse when they are complete ingrates. I've had parents complain that there wasn't enough diet soda. I just look at them and say "Oh I'm so sorry!" I was getting donations from businesses, decorating, setting up, begging for volunteers, coordinating with the Principal, and trying to find prizes. Thank you for being willing to take over the soda for the next function. Here, just give me your name and phone number and I'll let you know the budget and who's donating. I just didn't have time to go pick up more."

It's amazing how fast they run off. They want it to be done and done to their standards but only as long as they don't have to do it.

Oh, I completely understand, I am a hospitality volunteer at my ds's elem. school so I hear the same thing. What no cheescake today? Bite me. LOL

Jolie Rouge
05-19-2009, 10:34 AM
It's the same problem everywhere. Parents want their kids involved, but someone else needs to do the work. Congrats on being there for your kid and the other kids.

:yeah: