PDA

View Full Version : Help to pay for a funeral?

dw172
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM
A friend of mine just lost her husband unexpectedly and does not know how she is going to pay for this. She has 2 young children and she lost her job. Any suggestions i can pass on to her?
Thank you.

lovefree
05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I dont really have an answer, but in my area when people need help with the cost of burial, our local news stations tell the story and give viewers the name of a bank to make a donation...Hope that helps and sorry to hear of your friends loss..

Dorthy
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I am sorry for your friend's loss. When my Uncle passed away I was the executor and there was no money for his funeral. He was a vet though, and I recieved some money from the Army, Navy, Marine fund. it was not much, only a few hundred dollars, but it was a help. If he was a vet have her contact them.

freeby4me
05-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Im so sorry. Is there any way she can have him cremated and keep him with her for now until she has the money for the grave opening? I would think they'd be able to work with her for that.

tarasdream
05-08-2009, 09:51 AM
here the county pays for it but you have no say where hes buried

pepperpot
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I could be wrong, but I think funeral homes will make a payment plan.....I'm sure this happens quite often.....

So sorry to hear about your friend.....

Quaker_Parrots
05-08-2009, 11:16 AM
If he was the children's father, she needs to get in touch with Social Security so the kids can draw off of his benefits.

jasmine
05-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Don't know about your community, but I see jars set up at local gas stations, grocery stores etc. asking for donations for what they are in need for.

MsLynn
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
all the funeral homes around here make arrangements for payments...when my grandmother died we make $25.00 a month for a long time till we could afford more.

sdb_ngc
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
all the funeral homes around here make arrangements for payments...when my grandmother died we make $25.00 a month for a long time till we could afford more.

That's is what we did when my Dad passed away. They were really nice helping us work out a payment arrangement. Have your friend call around. If they are affliated with a local church you can start there also. Our church has what's called United Burial Fund that assisted us with a few hundred dollars.

I will keep your friend in my prayers.

shadowcats
05-08-2009, 02:05 PM
thats what we did in my fathers case he had no insurance , and we didnt have the money to bury him and the government only gives you two hundred fifty dollars to bury them and we figured his wife needed it more,
the usual proceedure is that they keep the body for a year or two what ever they contract for , the students learn their skills in the school , and after the time allotment they cremate the remains and package them and ship them back to you as ashes , then you can bury or scatter them at your discretion,
this would give her time to raise the money to bury him of the option of other ways to take care of the situation, the courners office would be the place to tell you which hospital or school in the area is needing donations,and if you didnt want to deal with the remains afterwards they will bury them for you also .
lol when they said theyd mail them to either me or my sister we both said hell no dispose of them as you see fit ,lol we both dispised our dads drunkeness and didnt want his remains, he always told us to dump him in the dumpster and put a case of beer in his arms,,,,,,,,,,,,
sharon

belle5691
05-08-2009, 02:22 PM
My husband, who used to work in a funeral home, suggests contacting the coroner for resources to help pay for the funeral. In most cases, the funeral home, won't always make suggestions as they of course are in the business to make money for themselves--not the state. The state should have programs to help....His brother was buried in a state casket which cost just a few hundred dollars. It is a very simple wooden casket that does not look cheap or cheesy. Ask about the caskets that state coverage would pay for, whether she has or not coverage, at least the costs would be less.

jackie227
05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
I think social security pays $250. They did when my mother passed away, but that was 16 years ago.
Another thing that is common here, when the obit is posted "they say in lieu of flowers, the family ask that donations be made to the family to help take care of the cost of the funeral"

jasmine
05-08-2009, 02:58 PM
don't know if these will help any, but thought I would pass them along.

http://www.rlc.org.au/factsheets/creditdebt/09funeralexpenses.html
Quote from the above site~ there also alot more interesting stuff

What Happens If Nobody Can Afford To Pay For A Funeral
If you can't afford to pay for a funeral, don't organise it. If you organise the funeral you will have to pay. The police can organise a funeral for someone who has no-one to pay for their funeral. It will be a very simple and cheap funeral and the person will probably be cremated. If the person died in hospital, the NSW Health Department or the hospital in which they died will pay for a basic funeral. Contact the hospital registrar. Usually mourners will be allowed to attend but they will not be able to have much say in how the funeral is organised. These funerals are called destitute funerals.

http://www.helptheaged.org.uk/en-gb/AdviceSupport/HealthAdvice/Issues/Bereavement/as_bereavem_240206_4.htm

buglebe
05-08-2009, 05:57 PM
thats what we did in my fathers case he had no insurance , and we didnt have the money to bury him and the government only gives you two hundred fifty dollars to bury them and we figured his wife needed it more,
the usual proceedure is that they keep the body for a year or two what ever they contract for , the students learn their skills in the school , and after the time allotment they cremate the remains and package them and ship them back to you as ashes , then you can bury or scatter them at your discretion,
this would give her time to raise the money to bury him of the option of other ways to take care of the situation, the courners office would be the place to tell you which hospital or school in the area is needing donations,and if you didnt want to deal with the remains afterwards they will bury them for you also .
lol when they said theyd mail them to either me or my sister we both said hell no dispose of them as you see fit ,lol we both dispised our dads drunkeness and didnt want his remains, he always told us to dump him in the dumpster and put a case of beer in his arms,,,,,,,,,,,,
sharon

Can you do this without permission from the dead person? OK LOL I know I am asking if they have to give permission before they die?

shadowcats
05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Can you do this without permission from the dead person? OK LOL I know I am asking if they have to give permission before they die?
and even if they have a will , it usually doents affect this since if he has a will with money the state handles it all,,,,,,,,,, family members just tell the hospital give it to the state to take care of, they are the ones who handle the attorneys if he didnt specify anyone they handle it , other wise you can do what ever you want with the body within reason
sharon

ma4angels
05-09-2009, 11:20 AM
First I am really sorry about your friends loss. There was a story I read in the Woman's World Magazine within the last 6months about a woman who set up a foundation that helps women who find themselves a widow unexpectly. They said that it helps woman with financial gifts to help them get through until the get back on their feet. I can't remember the name but I do remember it is her husband's name. If you are your friend maybe able to contact the magazine to find out the name of it. I tried to see if anything came up on the internet but I couldn't find anything. I remember they had given one woman quite a few dollars into the thousands if I remember correctly. If I find in I will come back later

hotwheelstx
05-09-2009, 12:45 PM
First off I'm sorry for your friends loss. I hope this will help in some way.

Call the medical examiners office for your county. This happened to my brothers dad when he passed away. Here they took care of everything. Yes, he was cremated. According to the examiners office it doesn't matter if you're deceased or not. If no one claims the person the body belongs to the state to dispose of it the most cost effective way.

Unless a family members goes to claim the body the city, state will take care of it.

http://www.ocme.unc.edu/

shadowcats
05-09-2009, 12:59 PM
First off I'm sorry for your friends loss. I hope this will help in some way.

Call the medical examiners office for your county. This happened to my brothers dad when he passed away. Here they took care of everything. Yes, he was cremated. According to the examiners office it doesn't matter if you're deceased or not. If no one claims the person the body belongs to the state to dispose of it the most cost effective way.

Unless a family members goes to claim the body the city, state will take care of it.

http://www.ocme.unc.edu/
when my son was killed in a freak car accident in florida i was devastated and had to handle everything , and his dad totally dumped it all in my lap
i had to make him pay for our sons cremation so i could take him home with me to miss, the courners office went out of their way to set up everything so i wouldnt be stuck there , if you die away from home you have to pay fees and transportation costs if you dont cremate the body, every state line you have to have the body inspected and released due to health codes, they were the ones who told me i could cremate him and bring him home with out that hassle ,,,,, and they were so helpful on other issues i had to deal with also, so tell her dont feel ashamed if she cant afford to do it herself they will help her to the best of their abilities,
sharon

vicky122
05-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Call up public aid and see if they will help. When my brother passed the Army paid for some of it and my brother had some money and we put in money. Public aide did help us.

Taterbo
05-10-2009, 11:31 AM
I am sorry you are having to deal with this all..First your own loss and now this...I hope you found some assistance and all is taken care of.

ma4angels
05-11-2009, 06:45 AM
I found the foundation it is Ted Lindeman Outreach Foundation that helps widows. I hope this help. Sorry I found out that it is for two different counties in Penns.

hotwheelstx
05-11-2009, 07:20 AM
I would also call American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Volunteers of America.

When my brother's dad died all these organizations agreed to help in some way....from flowers, suit, shoes, casket.

http://www.voacarolinas.org/

http://www.redcross.org/where/chapts.asp

http://www.salvationarmycarolinas.org/

ma4angels
05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
I really hope that your friend found some help. It is a terrible thing mourning the loss of her husband and have to be stressed about how she is going to pay for everything. hotwheelstx had some really good ideas I hope she tried them.

dw172
05-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Thank you all for your help. I have passed the information along. She thanks each and every one of you.
Sandie