PDA

View Full Version : Kid advice???

whatever
05-07-2009, 07:31 AM
NO not mine. LOL But my nephew. Okay here is the story. My brother called last night and asks my dh if he had seen our nephew in the town where he works at the skate park. Well my dh doesn't go into town much. He works just on the edge of it at the marina as a boat tech. Anyway my brother tells him Dakota ran away on Monday he thinks he is there with another kid named Jimmy somthing. And thats all he knows. So of course my dh knowing alot of people from there and myself to. We get on the phone and start making calls. WE find out the kids last name, his dad name. And dh gets the dad's address for the cops to knock on his door. Because my brother usually the had made an amber alert on him.
But here is my thing. They got him back last night and sent him to school. I know he has been VERY unhappy since they moved back to the town/school they are at. So I am thinking he is just going to run away again. Would you have let him go to school or kept him home for the day?
My dh told my brother to get him into couseling ASAP. But I don't think my brother will do it. So what would you parents do. I know my brother takes what I say seriously. Which is why he calls when something happens etc.
My dh thinks I should bring Dakota here for awhile to straighten him out....

Jenefer3
05-07-2009, 07:36 AM
For me, I would've kept my child home for the day and tried to talk and understand why he was running away.

cabby92
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm wit Jenefer.

fleabones3
05-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Tough one.. if your brother works, keeping him home for the day would have done no good. It would have been just another day he got to miss of school, sitting around playing video games etc.
Also, as you know, most schools have a limit of how many days a kid can miss. At our high school, you can miss 5 days per block ( semester) thats it.

A lot would depend on how old this nephew is..it sounds like he is just ticked off because of the school/town he is at so he is acting out. I dont think you bringing him to your house will fix that, and he has to learn just because he isnt going to the school he wants , or living where he wants, getting what he wants, etc doesnt mean he can run away, throw a fit , etc.
I am glad you want to help, but it sounds like he needs his dad to be a dad and let him know how the cow eats the cabbage. Thats JMO bases on the little info.

whatever
05-07-2009, 03:55 PM
He's 16. And we have found out some more info about the kid he was with. they are into drugs!:getyou I just don't want my brother to sweep it under the rug and let it go. I really hope he talks to him and trys to workk things out. But right now Kota isn't talking to him.

fleabones3
05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Does Dakota have a job? Maybe thats what he needs instead of so much free time. At his age, they need firm rules, firm consequences and a firm foot up the butt. I'm sorry I know its your nephew and all, and you want to help, but " talking" only does so much.

Jenefer3
05-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Does Dakota have a job? Maybe thats what he needs instead of so much free time. At his age, they need firm rules, firm consequences and a firm foot up the butt. I'm sorry I know its your nephew and all, and you want to help, but " talking" only does so much.

I guess it all depends on your family. Talking works in my family.

fleabones3
05-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Only if the kid is willing to listen and talk.. apparently this one isnt.

There also has to be consequences to the actions he has done.. otherwise he knows he can do what he wants and all that will happen is a talk. Big deal.

buglebe
05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
If "they" are into drugs it's too late for talking. And taking him into your house isn't going to help either. If he wants to use drugs he is going to until he doesn't want to anymore.
My son laughs at the drug rehab clinic here. He says he knows many kids who go there, sent by their parents and they are back on drugs as soon as they hit the street. As far as my son is concerned btdt and he is 36 now and straight.