PDA

View Full Version : menopause

gravittr
04-21-2009, 04:28 PM
ok im only 40 so they think im to young to be going thru menupouse plus i dont have night sweats.i dont sweat any way.i get hot and stuf but i really dont sweat persay.so i have check online and everything else fits.plus when i talk to everyone else the say it sounds just like what the went thru.i still have monthly but that doesnt mean im not in the beginning stages.told her what i was going thru and everything.have the stuff she didnt know what was wrong.could be overstress about something.so what does she do puts me on depression meds. told me to stay on them for a month.then she will test me for. menupouse this really sucks.what else can i do

Mary Jo
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe you are just overstressed.
Hope you're feeling better soon.

tngirl
04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Actually, some of the depression medications are what a lot of doctors prefer to use on women going through menopause. They don't have the same risk factors as HRT.

ilikefree
04-21-2009, 06:47 PM
I was just reading about this in one of my many magazines I get. I can't remember which one it was, but the lady was in her early 40's and was going through the same thing. They called it something like premature menopause or something like that. I'll have to see if I can find where I was reading it and see if I can find the article online and get it to you.

speedygirl
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I hate to tell you, 40 is not unheard of to go through menopause. We see plenty of patients that go through premature menopause. It's easy to find out if it's happening. All you have to do is get a blood test to check your FSH levels.

Aloha from paradise
04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
I went through it at 38 years old. My doctor didn't believe me at first but after those hot flashes and nights of waking up just soaked not to mention my mood I told the doctor to run a test. I hate it when I have a medical problem and the doctor won't believe you so I tend to really speak my mind! The older I get the more I speak up! He just thought I was to young at 38 to go through. So we got the results back and I was right. He said he just had not seen many women that young. I always tell them its my body I know it better then anyone so they better listen. I used to respect a doctor and believe any thing they would tell me! Not anymore after seeing some of the quacks on this island! I think I make quite a few doctors mad but I really don't care. Like I said its my body and I know it best!!

tngirl
04-22-2009, 02:48 AM
At what age does a woman typically reach menopause?

The average age of menopause is 51 years old. But there is no way to predict when an individual woman will enter menopause. The age at which a woman starts having menstrual periods is also not related to the age of menopause onset. Most women reach menopause between the ages of 45 and 55, but menopause may occur as earlier as the 30s or 40s or may not occur until a woman reaches her 60s. As a rough "rule of thumb," women tend to undergo menopause at an age similar to that of their mothers.

Perimenopause, often accompanied by irregularities in the menstrual cycle along with the typical symptoms of early menopause, can begin up to 10 years prior to the last menstrual period.

http://www.medicinenet.com/menopause/page2.htm

Other pharmaceutical therapies

Antidepressant medications: The class of drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and related medications have been shown to be effective in controlling the symptoms of hot flashes in up to 60% of women. Specifically, venlafaxine (Effexor), a drug related to the SSRIs, and the SSRIs fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), and citalopram (Celexa) have all been shown to decrease the severity of hot flashes in some women. However, antidepressant medications may be associated with side effects, including decreased libido or sexual dysfunction.

Other medications: Other prescription medications have been shown to provide some relief for hot flashes, although their specific purpose is not the treatment of hot flashes. All of these may have side effects, and their use should be discussed with and monitored by a doctor. Some of these medications that have been shown to help relieve hot flashes include the antiseizure drug gabapentin (Neurontin) and clonidine (Catapres), a drug used to treat high blood pressure.

http://www.medicinenet.com/menopause/page6.htm#other

dinosmom
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I have been in perimenopause for a few yrs now. Was diagnosed when I was 37.

HUGS!

gravittr
04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
how come even female doc dont believe us when we say what we are going thru.i have thinking are telling anyone im on depression pilss when i know thats not what is wrong with me.im not crazy im really not.but i supose i can wait the 3 weeks out and then go back and see if the will do the test.had i hard time getting her to listen to anythingi had to say.thanks everyone for listening to me

candygirl
04-22-2009, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=tngirl;96149895]At what age does a woman typically reach menopause?

As a rough "rule of thumb," women tend to undergo menopause at an age similar to that of their mothers.

Menopause started for me at the age of 38 ,found out my mother was 38 and now my sister who is 39.

One of the first question my doctor asked was " How old was my mother when she started going through memopause"

CLARKS4
04-22-2009, 03:56 PM
My mother is only 43 and she is already gone thru menopause. She went thru it right around the age 40.

speedygirl
04-22-2009, 05:14 PM
how come even female doc dont believe us when we say what we are going thru.i have thinking are telling anyone im on depression pilss when i know thats not what is wrong with me.im not crazy im really not.but i supose i can wait the 3 weeks out and then go back and see if the will do the test.had i hard time getting her to listen to anythingi had to say.thanks everyone for listening to me

Who knows what she's thinking but if this your gynecologist I'd get a new one. Demand the FSH blood test. If your doc doesn't listen to you, it's time to fire her. Remember they are paid by you, not the other way around. They essentially work for you.
If she says it's not perimenopause or menopause without doing any testing, she's incompetent. I work for gynecologists so I have a good idea of what's entailed in diagnosing menopause properly.

BTW don't wait and see if they'll do the test. Demand it.

I'm 53 and I'm my FSH is normal, lol. I thought for awhile I was in perimenopause but my problems we're due to my Crohn's and subsequent surgery. I'm like clockwork now. I'm going to be one of those 60 year old women still getting visits from Aunty Flo.

deb_gar
04-22-2009, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE=tngirl;96149895]At what age does a woman typically reach menopause?

As a rough "rule of thumb," women tend to undergo menopause at an age similar to that of their mothers.

Menopause started for me at the age of 38 ,found out my mother was 38 and now my sister who is 39.

One of the first question my doctor asked was " How old was my mother when she started going through memopause"

That's not fair...my Mom was 40 and here I am, going to be 46 the end of this month.....:banghead:

Char
04-22-2009, 05:27 PM
I am 48, and haven't even started perimenopause ! Hell, I'll probably have periods until I'm 70...lol - I knew I should have taken stock in Kotex years ago !

gravittr
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
i guess i just need to go back and see if the will do it and hopefully soon.but i guess if the meds help with with the mood swings that might be a plus

speedygirl
04-23-2009, 12:43 PM
i guess i just need to go back and see if the will do it and hopefully soon.but i guess if the meds help with with the mood swings that might be a plus
You shouldn't have to wait. A phone call to doctor's office is all it takes. The doctor just sends a requisition for the blood test to the lab and you go anytime during business hours. If you had it drawn tomorrow, you'd have the results by Monday.

gravittr
04-25-2009, 08:41 AM
the pills she has me on has taken care of the mood swings pretty much but i know i will go and have that test done

Prunella
04-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Started at 42 for me. I'm 47 now.

hotwheelstx
04-25-2009, 09:49 AM
I was diagnosed with (peri) at 41. I'm in full blown menopause now. My mother and aunt both went thru the "change" at 36.

I'm on mood enhancers....they do help with mood swings, hormones to help regulate, check progress.

If your dr. isn't listening to you I'd see another one. I went to 3 before I found the one I have now. First 3 said I was to young. When I explained when my mom went thru it....I was still to "young".

I was also told by my ob/gyn to check both sides history. My dads side his mother and sisters all went thru it in their 40's. So, I guess for me it was about time.

The "test" is a simple blood test. I received my results within 7 days afterwards.

gravittr
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
the pills she put me on has help with the mood swings my friend is greatful for thqt this past weekend went by alot easier for everyone inculding the kids.so thats a plus i suppose but as soon as im let off earlier enough thru work im going to back in.work for the health dept u would think we could get into the clinic really easy nope.no doc or nurse pactiioner in hardly at all that really sucks