PDA

View Full Version : Mayor racks up $68,000 on city cell phone

LuvBigRip
04-16-2009, 03:36 PM
WEST MIAMI, Fla. (WSVN) -- The mayor of West Miami is in hot water over his alleged overuse of his city issued cell phone.

Cesar Carasa first made waves last year when he tried to get voters to pass a pay raise for the city council. His blue collar constituents wouldn't have it, and now there could be even bigger waves.

According to public records, Carasa has racked up huge charges on his city-issued cell phone, to the tune of more than $68,000 in international calls to the Dominican Republic. "Hundreds of calls," said City Commissioner Luciano Suarez. "I never expected anything like this. I am really in shock."

The Miami-Dade Ethics Commission has begun an investigation on the mayor, and public corruption officials may have to go no further than the mayor's cell phone bills. They see to show that, starting the month after he was elected into office in May of 2006, hundreds of calls were made to the Dominican Republic. Some calls lasted more than three hours, costing more than $200 each.

In July of 2008, his Sprint cell phone bill reached $11,000, aside from what city officials describe as a brief humanitarian relief drive Carasa organized for the Dominican Republic in 2007. "We have no official business in the Dominican Republic," said City Manager Yolanda Aguilar.

In a letter to the city attorney, the mayor's attorney says Carasa was "never informed of any limitations on the use of the cell phone." A 2002 memo states that the cellular phones are for city business.

Sprint has a contract with West Miami for a cell tower located in the city, which includes 10 free phones, but the 1997 contract specifies that the city shall be responsible for long distance calls.

Sprint says it accidentally credited the mayor's cell phone bill for months, saying "a mistake just crept into our system and got out of hand." The company says it will eat that money and has turned off the mayor's international access. Sprint, however, is demanding payment for more than $5,000 in new bills and the city attorney concurs.

Carasa did not want to comment on the matter, but, when prodded by a reporter, he said, "If I have to I will pay," but, he added, he does not think he should have to pay.

The issue was discussed briefly at last night's meeting, but there is still no clear determination as to who will be responsible for the money owed.

http://www1.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI118256/

Of course he doesn't think he should have to pay it, he is an elected official. I swear they put an entitlement clause into every politicians mind.

gmyers
04-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I guess this is one of those things you have to spell out for him in his job description. Don't make $68,000 worth of phone calls on your work phone. These people act like kids you have to spell out exactly what they can and can't do.

whatever
04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Just because you hold a "goverment" job doesn't mean you have "free" will and right to spend money (which making all those calls is basically what he did and is doing) willy nilly. You still have to account for the way you are spending it and spend it for business purposes.