PDA

View Full Version : Darn TV blew up

dinosmom
04-16-2009, 09:16 AM
My DS and I dont really watch a lot of tv but last night 2 of our shows were on-Bones and Ghost Hunters. Right as Ghost Hunters was starting, the TV BLEW UP! Its been going for quite some time now but why did it pick that moment to give up the ghost (ha pun intended LOL)???? The only other tv we have in the house is in my sons room and he doesnt have the satellight run in there. That thing is OLD too and its what he plays Playstation on so there are a TON of wires and stuff to unhook if we are going to bring it down.

PLUS I had to pay a TON of money for my state and fed taxes yesterday (self employed) AND the estimated quarterly were due at the same time. So there is NO WAY I can afford a tv right now. Looks like its shadow puppets for us for awhile. LOL

pepperpot
04-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Do you have a local freecycle or craigslist? You can ask if anyone has a tv hanging around (many do).....that may help for awhile. Good luck, sorry yours blew up.

LuvBigRip
04-16-2009, 09:43 AM
That's what I was thinking Pepperpot.

Shann
04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
yikes I would cry if our tv blew up, thankfully we have a four to choose from, altho two are super old and need to be replaced, but at least they are still kicking *knock on wood*

BeanieLuvR
04-16-2009, 12:39 PM
That stinks. I'm so sorry. I think pepperpot's idea is a good one. Good luck. I hope you are able to get one soon.

dinosmom
04-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I totally forgot about craiglist of freecycle! Gonna have to go there now!!!! :)

jasmine
04-16-2009, 12:48 PM
in your local paper to under the for sale tv's.
I'm sorry that happened, tv's are a real expense.

whatever
04-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Do you have a local freecycle or craigslist? You can ask if anyone has a tv hanging around (many do).....that may help for awhile. Good luck, sorry yours blew up.

Yep thats what I was thinking. People are giving away alot of CRT tvs around here. Luckily we have like 4 lcds and one 19 inch combo CRT (it has the vcr and dvd player). I don't have the heart to get rid of it because I had bought it new a couple of years ago and it was what used to be in our bedroom till we updated ALL our tvs to lcd ones.
GOOD LUCK to you!

ttistin
04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
dh found a tv on craigslist that someone was giving away..it is like 60 inches big lol All it took to fix it was to unplug a wire inside it.....We weren't even needing a tv but I sure am glad we got it :)

I would defiantly check craigslist and freecycle..if need be post that you need one and I am sure someone has one they are not using.

bonniejeanne
04-16-2009, 08:38 PM
You can watch Bones online. The latest Ghost Hunters isn't up, yet.

Eyore
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
You can find alot of the shows on here to watch.
http://www.hulu.com/

hotwheelstx
04-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry I had to laugh for a minute. I'm sorry about the t.v. that really SUCKS. I remember when I was little Gunsmoke was coming on, my dad went to turn up the volume (way back in the late 60's). All of a sudden you saw this puff of smoke coming from behind the t.v. Needless to say there was a lot of yelling at the t.v. to come back on, what's wrong with the damn thing. I never since seen my dad so upset over something like that. Mom took an old black/white t.v. out of the den and that's what we watched for a couple of months.

I hope you get a new t.v. soon. I know they're expensive. One in our bedroom I got for $100.00 off of someone I used to work with. That was over 20 years ago. I'm waiting for it to go very soon.

Eyore is right. There's a lot of shows now online. I watch a lot of the shows that I forget or I'm not home to Tivo on the computer. My aunt doesn't have a television...hasn't in over 25 years. She watches all her shows on the internet.

fairydana
04-17-2009, 06:55 PM
That does suck! It always seems like I never want to watch tv till the cable is out or there is something wrong with it!

Sorry you have to pay taxes too!

Hugs to you girl!

buglebe
04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
My daughter bought a tv at the Goodwill for $25 3 yrs ago. They are still using it for their only tv.

Urban Cowgirl
04-19-2009, 05:28 PM

when ours died a couple years ago I asked on freecycle

I said I know this is farfetched but if anyone has a tv that needs a new home mine died....don't care how old as long as it works.

Someone responded quickly, they had one, "that was old and dusty but works". I picked it up and it worked like a peach. We used until until we could get a newer one, then we gave that one to my cousin because they didn't have a tv. That old thing still works! Its definately worth asking.