View Full Version : FREE Domain name from Register.com for 1 year

peggy353
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM
FREE Domain name from Register.com for 1 year

http://www.register.com/promo/acquisitions_8772090537.rcmx?trkID=SEMJ78Vw4W

REGISTER YOUR DOMAIN NAME FREE!

For a limited time, you can register a new domain name for your small business
and get it FREE for the first year with no further obligation (a $35 value)."

It looks like all you have to do is check "yes I am a small business owner" in order to get the domain.

thedragonlady
04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I got all the way through and then on the last step it said I had already done this, but I could still purchase the name I wanted for $35.00! It also says :

All new customers will be asked to supply a valid credit card number and billing information. This is our standard requirement for opening a Register.com account. If you are registering a free domain name and not making additional purchases you will not incur any charges.

lollylala
04-20-2009, 10:01 AM
I got all the way through and then on the last step it said I had already done this, but I could still purchase the name I wanted for $35.00! It also says :

I got the same thing and I KNOW I have never done this....the ONLY place I have ever had a domain with was Go Daddy and it is still active. I think they have their offer messed up or something. I sent them an email. $35 is high since Go Daddy is $7.99!!

alpha249
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
yeh doesnt seem to work

lollylala
04-20-2009, 10:31 AM
OK, I just had a Live Chat with the company and here is a copy. Decide for yourselves if you want to do this but it is definitely not for me.

Travis S.: Thank you for visiting Register.com's Live Support. How can I help you?
Travis S.: Hello Holly.
Travis S.: May I have the domain name you are contacting us about today?
holly p****: I don't have one yet.I am actually trying to figure out the free promo
holly ****: it is not working
Travis S.: May I know what promotional offer did you get?
holly p****: http://www.register.com/promo/acquis...kID=SEMJ78Vw4W
holly p****: it is a free 1 year registration for small business
Travis S.: May I know where did you get this offer?
holly p****r: In an email
Travis S.: Please provide me the domain name that you wish to register.
holly p****: http://www.*******************.com
Travis S.: I will register the domain name for free for a year.
holly p****r: ok.
Travis S.: Do you have an account with us?
holly p****: i just registered a few minutes ago
holly p****: u************* is the login
Travis S.: I will need a confirmation to proceed further.
Travis S.: Do you have access to the email address *************@comcast.net?
holly p****: yes
Travis S.: I have sent you an eight digit security code to the email address *************@comcast.net. Please paste the code in this chat window.
holly p****: 422*****

Travis S.: Thank you for the confirmation.
holly p****: Sure thing
Travis S.: Shall I register the domain name for 2 years at $35.00?
holly p****: No one year is fine, I have never used your service before so I will try one year and if I like it I will do more
Travis S.: Okay.
Travis S.: Shall I sign up the private domain registration service for the domain name?
holly p****: No thanks
Travis S.: Whenever you register a domain name, information such as your address, email, phone number are required to be displayed in the WHOIS publicly.
Travis S.: Thus, anyone, anywhere, can look up any domain name's contact information by using a public tool called the WHOIS.
Travis S.: People can use this information to send you SPAM messages.
Travis S.: We provide Private Domain Registration service which hides the information..
Travis S.: Using this service, many of our customers are enjoying their freedom from unwanted spam messages.
holly p****: I would prefer that information be available to my customers. I have security measures in place
Travis S.: I would recommend that you sign up the Private Domain Registration service.
Travis S.: Okay.
Travis S.: Please provide me your credit card details (number, type and expiration date).
holly p****: ok
holly p****: what will be charged?
Travis S.: It will be $0.00 for the order.
holly p****: so why would you need the credit card information at this time?
Travis S.: This is to process the order.
holly p****: I am not sure that is safe so I think I will pass
Travis S.: You can update your credit card information in your account itself.
Travis S.: Please login to the Account Manager at:
Travis S.: https://www.register.com/retail/myaccount/productdisplay.rcmx
holly p****: I would prefer not to have my card placed on the account since I am unfamiliar with your company. That is certainly more unsafe than a non-private registration, correct?
Travis S.: Please be assured about the security issue. This is a secure chat and has 128 bit encryption.
Travis S.: Many of our customers have registered and renewed their domain names on Live Chat.
holly p****: Thank you anyway, I think I will stay with Go Daddy for the time being. I am not comfortable with the credit card being placed on the account. Thank you for your time and help.
Travis S.: You are welcome.
Travis S.: Please do feel free to contact us again if you need any further assistance.
Travis S.: Thank you for visiting Register.com - Don't just make a web site - make an Impact!
Travis S.: Bye.
Travis S. has disconnected.

ahippiechic
04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
DH and both did it and it worked fine. We did have to give CC info (I used my prepaid debit) but nothing was charged.