PDA

View Full Version : Woman, 78, sues to get back in senior center card game

peggy353
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Woman, 78, sues to get back in senior center card game
By BARRY ADAMS
608-252-6148
badams@madison.com
A 78-year-old Monroe woman who was banned from a city-owned senior center in Monroe after complaining about how a card game was being scored filed a federal lawsuit against the facility, alleging the center violated her free speech rights and that its code of conduct is vague and overly broad.

Edith Milestone wants a jury trial on the matter that came to a head in October. That’s when she was issued a letter by Tammy Derrickson, director of the Behring Senior Center, saying Milestone didn’t treat others with respect, used abusive language and engaged in physically threatening conduct, all of which violated the center’s code of conduct.

In the Oct. 24 letter, Derrickson said Milestone’s conduct during the card party the day before and in “numerous other incidents” led to the ban.

“I regret that I was forced to take this action, but feel you have left me with no other choice,” Derrickson wrote.

All participants in senior center programs are required to follow the code of conduct, which is posted on every floor of the center, Derrickson said in the letter.

Derrickson said Thursday she was unaware of the lawsuit and declined comment. Monroe city attorney Rex Ewald could not be reached.

The Monroe senior citizens board that oversees the senior center in December affirmed Derrickson’s decision but said it would consider reinstating Milestone if she could prove she completed an anger management program.

Milestone, according to the lawsuit, has been a longtime user of the center and has participated in a number of programs.

The lawsuit contends the center’s actions violated Milestone’s 1st and 14th Amendment rights guaranteeing freedom of expression and due process, respectively.

In addition to a trial, the lawsuit asks that the code of conduct be thrown out and Milestone be awarded compensation.

“She, in my view, is entitled to (compensation), but her main goal is to be able to enjoy the senior center,” said her attorney, Ray Clausen of Madison.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/latest/446532

dv8grl
04-14-2009, 04:10 AM
Crazy old lady drama... :rolling

pepperpot
04-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Gee, that should be the biggest problem in my life....getting thrown out of a card game and having the funds to sue.....:rolling: