PDA

View Full Version : 6th Grader Sues Dad Over Grounding - And Wins

jasmine
04-09-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.parentdish.com/2009/04/08/daughter-wins-lawsuit-against-father-over-punishment/?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl3|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parentdish.com%2F2 009%2F04%2F08%2Fdaughter-wins-lawsuit-against-father-over-punishment%2F

6th Grader Sues Dad Over Grounding - And Wins
by Brett Singer Apr 8th 2009 6:00PM

Most kids complain bitterly when they are grounded. Some will sneak out, while others will settle for slamming doors and announcing that they hate the person making the rules. But sometimes, kids get creative when they're punished: A 6th grader in Quebec sued her dad because she felt that his punishment was too harsh.

The 12-year-old girl's parents are divorced; in the spring of 2008, the girl's mom gave her permission to go on a class trip to Quebec City in June. But the middle-schooler lived with her father, and after she disobeyed daddy's orders to stay off the Internet, he told her she couldn't go. So what did she do? She took him to court. Of course.

A lower court ruled in favor of the girl, who went on the embattled class trip. Her father appealed -- on principle - -and amazingly, the girl won again. The father's attorney, Kim Beaudoin, says that her client is "flabbergasted" and they are considering another appeal, this time to Canada's Supreme Court. But, the attorney adds, the father has no regrets about the court proceedings. "Either way, he doesn't have authority over this child anymore. She sued him because she doesn't respect his rules," Beaudoin said. "It's very hard to raise a child who is the boss."

Now, I don't know a lot about the law, but I watch enough "Law & Order" to know that one thing that counts in the legal world is precedent. CBC News says that "the appeal court warned [that] the case should not be seen as an open invitation for children to take legal action every time they're grounded." But here's thing: If you don't want someone to consider using your ruling in other cases, maybe you shouldn't make the ruling. And what could the judge's reasoning possibly have been? Lucie Fortin, the Legal Aid lawyer who helped the girl take her pops to court, said that "The trip was very important" to the daughter. How is that a legal argument? Don't parents have the right to punish their children? (This is like making Consensual Living a legal requirement.)

Sadly, the case has destroyed the relationship between the girl and her father. "We went from a child who wanted to live with her father, and after all this has been done, they're not speaking anymore." The father's attorney adds, "We have a lot of work to re-establish a link between those two."

speedygirl
04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
I just read this. That's crazy! What message doesthis send? Makes me wonder if the mother encouraged this because she gave permission to go and the dad took it away because the kid disobeyed. How many 12 year olds think of suing their parents?

atprm
04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
at first I wondered who paid for the attorney...
since a child can not be bound into a legal binding agreement (and that is the case for all attorneys)

then I saw it was in Canada, and realized, they can do pretty much anything.

gmyers
04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
If I was the dad and she felt like she didn't have to listen to what I say then she can live with the mother. And I would visit her but she wouldn't stay with me. What will she do next accuse him of abuse. I wouldn't take that chance. Shows how the world has changed and not for the better.

janelle
04-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Yep, if both parents are not on the same page there is not much one can do. Now if the trip was when the girl was with her father then he could have had a say, I suppose, you never know now. And who paid for the legal fees---probably poor old dad.

Oh well, she will come around when she wants to be in dad's good graces again, like when she needs money for her wedding. I hate divorce.

freeby4me
04-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Makes me wonder who paid for the trip.

Me personally, I think the punishment was a bit harsh but I dont feel like any court should be meddling in something like this. I think this case should have been thrown out.

jasmine
04-10-2009, 06:13 AM
It gives away the rights to parents, "to parent" there children, who's to tell me that I can't ground my child, or tell them simply NO. Like my daughter this morning, she asks if she can stay with a friend tonight, I told her no, she threw a fit, wouldn't talk to me, slammed the car door. But she already got to go out 2 times this week after school, she's only a freshman, and I felt she just needed to come home, some other time. She also wanted to go on a missionary trip out of country. OK, call me the meany one, but I didn't want my "baby" out of country for the whole summer. When she is older, say a junior/senior then yes, it will be up for discussion. BUT, I am the parent and I have that right. I am not unreasonable, I let my child go out and do things/ but there are limitations, and those limitations are set to her age and what I think is reasonable/acceptable for her. Because, teenagers can be sneaky.......
News flash for my DD also, she's not going to get to go to church camp this summer for a week, instead she is going with grandma and her sister to washington to visit her cousins and family for about 3 weeks, which she has not seen in 7 years, she is going to be SOOOO mad, you know, her life will be over, because she can't see her boyfriend or friends...

freeby4me
04-10-2009, 06:49 AM
It gives away the rights to parents, "to parent" there children, who's to tell me that I can't ground my child, or tell them simply NO. Like my daughter this morning, she asks if she can stay with a friend tonight, I told her no, she threw a fit, wouldn't talk to me, slammed the car door. But she already got to go out 2 times this week after school, she's only a freshman, and I felt she just needed to come home, some other time. She also wanted to go on a missionary trip out of country. OK, call me the meany one, but I didn't want my "baby" out of country for the whole summer. When she is older, say a junior/senior then yes, it will be up for discussion. BUT, I am the parent and I have that right. I am not unreasonable, I let my child go out and do things/ but there are limitations, and those limitations are set to her age and what I think is reasonable/acceptable for her. Because, teenagers can be sneaky.......
News flash for my DD also, she's not going to get to go to church camp this summer for a week, instead she is going with grandma and her sister to washington to visit her cousins and family for about 3 weeks, which she has not seen in 7 years, she is going to be SOOOO mad, you know, her life will be over, because she can't see her boyfriend or friends...

You big meanie, how dare you parent your child :D :top:

meltodd69
04-10-2009, 07:05 AM
And they wonder why kids are out of control!

Mom2-3boys
04-10-2009, 07:27 AM

Ha you sound like me! My 10 y/o was PO'ed at me last year because I wouldn't let him take some Ambassador trip to Norway for wrestling. I told him "forget it......why would we pay for you to go to Norway when your dad and I haven't been on vacation by ourselves in years!? Besides that why would I send you with ppl we've never even met!? No No No I highly doubt at 10 he would appreciate the whole experience...I told him maybe when hes old enough to have a job and pay for part of it and the opportunity comes up again then he could...then this past fall another invite this time to Austria....I didn't even show it to him because I didnt want to deal with the fit all over again.

janelle
04-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh yes, it's so much fun to have surly teens come to visit you when they would rather be with friends. We've been through all that. Their mother brought them when their grandfather was dying. Then back again for the funeral.

No respect for their mother at all. I could have spanked them several times myself but then they would have called the police and I would have probably ended up in jail.

The teens are in control anymore.

whatever
04-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Okay Um is the Judge a parent. How would he/she feel if this had been his child? I can't believe anyone would even rule in the childs favor on this one!!!

gmyers
04-10-2009, 12:43 PM
The sad thing about it is it probably drove a wedge between the child and her dad. Their relationship might not be the same again.