PDA

View Full Version : Easy recipes, maybe freezeable

calynn
04-08-2009, 12:41 AM
In desperate need of easy recipes. My dd has invited her inlaws to my house for her dd's birthday. I need some easy recipes--maybe something I could fix and freeze. Dips, snack foods--whatever. Something you've tried and know is good. Thanks.

jasmine
04-08-2009, 05:36 AM
you can also try this thread that we did a couple of days ago
http://www.bigbigforums.com/off-topic-chat/617271-share-your-fav-appetizer-recipe-please.html

diana_circe
04-08-2009, 06:06 AM
I probably have plenty of easy recipes for you, but I need more information. Are you looking for meals? How many do you need to serve?

calynn
04-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I really need stuff that I can prepare and freeze. There will be about 8 extra people on Friday night, so I'm thinking burgers on the grill. Then they will be here on Saturday morning for breakfast. Saturday afternoon there will be more here for the party. I think to make my life alot easier, I will just get a meat and cheese tray. Maybe a package of meatballs and put in the crockpot with barbq sauce. Of coarse we will have cake. I'm thinking about making those oreo bonbons--not sure if I can freeze those or not. And what about a fruit tray--how far in advance can I make one of those--and what fruit keeps the best? This little first birthday has grown waaaaay tooooo big(LOL)!!!

Urban Cowgirl
04-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I really need stuff that I can prepare and freeze. There will be about 8 extra people on Friday night, so I'm thinking burgers on the grill. Then they will be here on Saturday morning for breakfast. Saturday afternoon there will be more here for the party. I think to make my life alot easier, I will just get a meat and cheese tray. Maybe a package of meatballs and put in the crockpot with barbq sauce. Of coarse we will have cake. I'm thinking about making those oreo bonbons--not sure if I can freeze those or not. And what about a fruit tray--how far in advance can I make one of those--and what fruit keeps the best? This little first birthday has grown waaaaay tooooo big(LOL)!!!

Oreo bon bons.....if that is what I call oreo truffles (mixing crushed oreos with cream cheese..roll into balls then dip in chocolate) yes you can freeze those.

I don't know of many dips you can freeze....but most you can make a day or two ahead.

diana_circe
04-08-2009, 02:16 PM
A good breakfast recipe that can be frozen is a breakfast caserole. Its uses cooked breakfast sausage, hash browns, shredded cheese and eggs. You can throw it together and freeze it and add beaten eggs before you bake it.

For dinner you can do what we call Runza bake. Its ground beef, shredded cabbage, chopped onions browned together, two packages of crescent rolls and an 8oz bag of shredded cheese. You can cook and mix the ground beef mix, then before you are ready to bake roll one package of crescent rolls on the bottom, spread the ground beef mix over that, cover in shredded cheese and then cover in the other package of crescent rolls. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.

Both are fairly cheap per serving, especially if you can find ground beef on sale. I get Walmart brand breakfast sausage in the roll, its about $2, you'll need about a dozen eggs, so $1 there. If you get frozen hash browns I don't know the cost, but most people generally have a bag or potatoes so even if you use a whole 5# bag its about $3. Red or white potatoes will work, so if you find one on sale even better. That should definitely feed 8 people, especially if you make toast with it So that one is $7-$8 to feed 8 people, not counting the toast.

If you want more formal recipes PM me your email address.

atprm
04-08-2009, 03:03 PM
St Joseph pie is really easy to make (4 ingredients) and freezes well.

1 pound ground beef (round or chuck) -- browned and drained.
1 jar spaghetti sauce (we use 4 cheese Bertolli)
2 cans french style green beans -- drained
REAL mash potatoes

brown the beef and drain. put into baking dish.
dump over 1 jar of spag sauce
layer on top of that, 2 cans of green beans
then the top layer, spread the mash potatoes over the top of all with little "peaks" formed on the potatoes.

cover and bake or cover and freeze.

bake frozen for 40 minutes on 350.

bake fresh for 20 minutes or until peaks of potatoes are brown at 350.