PDA

View Full Version : Chafee forms committee to explore run for governor

ElleGee
04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
11:36 AM Mon, Apr 06, 2009 | Permalink
Katherine Gregg

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Former U.S. Sen. Lincoln D. Chafee has announced the formation of an "exploratory campaign'' for the 2010 Rhode Island Governor's race.

According to a statement issued this morning, "Chafee will spend the next several months meeting with advisers and supporters putting together a plan that will lay the groundwork for an Independent campaign for governor in 2010. ''

Through a spokesman, the Republican-turned-independent Chafee also announced the appointment of former Bank Rhode Island businessman executive vice president and chief business officer James V. DeRentis as manager of the 2010 Chafee for Governor exploratory campaign.

Effective immediately, "DeRentis will be responsible for overseeing the exploratory campaign, which includes such activities as fundraising, potential campaign structure and building an advisory team,'' the statement said.

"We are at a pivotal moment in our state's history, and I am to excited to establish a team that will help create a platform to help elect a candidate who has the proven experience and leadership ability to unite Rhode Islanders at a time when divisiveness has hindered our state and prevented us from reaching the potential we know we can achieve," said DeRentis. "I firmly believe that Linc Chafee has demonstrated the kind of bold leadership and inclusive decision making that makes him a different kind of candidate," he added.

Since December of 2006, Chafee has served as a visiting fellow, at the Thomas J. Watson Institute for International Studies at Brown University. In the summer of 2007, Chafee officially left the Republican Party.

The statement was issued by Andrew Cutler, a one-time public-relations consultant to the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation.

================================================== ===
I did a lot of research on Chafee the past few months on the rumor hoping that he would consider running.. He was the only Republican that was for liberal values.. Which is why he is an independent now I think...

I cannot wait until we vote Carcieri out of office.. Seriously I cannot wait. Carcieri is a horrible governor. Not one mayor here has any respect for the guy and he would have been voted out last time had there been better candidates.....

UGH 2 more years!!!!! LOL

pepperpot
04-06-2009, 03:52 PM
When I read the title, I thought it would be Suzie Chafee, aka Suzie Chapstick! :lol

ElleGee
04-06-2009, 03:56 PM
When I read the title, I thought it would be Suzie Chafee, aka Suzie Chapstick! :lol

LOL I pulled her up on the googlie. I had no idea who that was

pepperpot
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Here ya go!
http://home.comcast.net/~matchgame/Suzy.Chapstick/chapstick-poster.jpg:rolling: