PDA

View Full Version : NYC fried chicken joints under fire for Obama name

atprm
04-04-2009, 09:07 AM
if it was a White POTUS and someone masked Bush's name on a sign, not one person would be screaming "racist". :rolleyes:

NYC fried chicken joints under fire for Obama name

By SARA KUGLER

NEW YORK (AP) - Two New York City fried chicken restaurants in predominantly black neighborhoods are under fire for putting President Barack Obama's name on their signs.

City Councilman Charles Barron said Friday that he will organize a demonstration next week outside Obama Fried Chicken in his Brooklyn district. Organizers said they also may target Obama Fried Chicken & Pizza in Harlem.

"People from the community were calling me and saying they were outraged by this racist connection to Barack Obama and fried chicken," Barron said. "If you think that free speech gives you the right to insult and degrade us and stereotype us, then you've got a battle on your hands."

At Obama Fried Chicken & Pizza in Harlem on Friday, the "O" and the "A" had been filled in so that the awning sign read "Bam" instead of the president's name.

The person working the counter said the owner was not available and would not say when the sign had been changed. Employees, however, still were answering the phone by saying "Obama's."

At Obama Fried Chicken in Brooklyn, the person who answered the phone said the owner could not be reached.

Kevin McCall, a community activist who has been working with Barron to organize the protest, said he had spoken with the owner of Obama Fried Chicken, which was Royal Fried Chicken until recently.

McCall said the owner promised the sign would change on Sunday. If it doesn't, McCall and Barron say they will rally on Monday.

The White House did not comment directly on the issue of racial overtones in the New York restaurant names, but spokesman Ben LaBolt said the administration disapproves of using "the president's name and likeness for commercial purposes."

The restaurant controversy is not the first dispute about the first black president's name being linked to a chicken product.

A German food maker was criticized recently for naming a line of frozen fried chicken snacks "Obama Fingers." The product was available only in Germany and was pulled after the company said it became aware of the racial connotation.

Also, Germany's N24 television broadcaster reported this week that one Baden-Baden bakery was celebrating the U.S. president's arrival there with a dark-chocolate "Obama cake." The cake was decorated with miniature NATO flags.

Obama traveled to the German spa town Friday with his wife, Michelle, where he met German Chancellor Angela Merkel on the sidelines of the NATO summit.

---_

Associated Press Writer Matt Moore in Berlin contributed to this report.

atprm
04-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Ok, this is flippin FUNNY!!! :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling :rolling

'Chia Obama' booted from local stores

http://media2.myfoxtampabay.com//photo/2009/04/03/chia_2009040317300350_320_240.JPG

Last Edited: Friday, 03 Apr 2009, 5:30 PM EDT
Created On: Friday, 03 Apr 2009, 5:26 PM EDT

TAMPA - Some local Walgreen's stores are pulling a supposed likeness of President Barack Obama off their shelves. The 'Chia Obama' will no longer be sold there.

Walgreen's spokesman Michael Polzin explained to FOX 13 that local store managers have the ability to purchase and market products -- like the Chia Obama -- on their own.

But now, the corporate office has asked stores to pull the product from their stores because, he said, it is not appropriate for the company's corporate image.

The Chia Obama is a version of the Chia Pet line, which features a ceramic figure upon which fresh greens are planted and allowed to grow, filling out the likeness of the subject.

pepperpot
04-04-2009, 09:15 AM
:lol unreal

pepperpot
04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Pulled up the white pages and searched for "Obama" businesses....

Political Organizations (14)
Government Offices (12)
Federal Government Offices (6)
Political Campaign Services (4)
Gift Shops (2)
Civic Clubs & Organizations (2)
Bail Bonds (2)
Legal Services (1)
Auto Glass Retail (1)
Bail Bond Companies (1)
Voting Machines & Equipment (1)
Congressional Senators (1)
Voter Registration (1)
Bail Bonds Referral Services (1)
Bail Bondsmen (1)
Grocery Stores & Supermarkets (1)
Wigs & Hairpieces Retail (1)
Beauty Salons (1)

I guess the supermarket, auto glass, wig shop, beauty salon, etc. are all racist too? It's people capitalizing on the name for business reasons....not slighting....:doh

*and I'm sure the list is not up-to-date

freeby4me
04-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Did no one like Bush enough to start a business using his name or what?

SurferGirl
04-04-2009, 10:20 AM
I personal would not go to anyplace that used Obama's name because I don't like him and the way the country is making such a big deal over him and his family. I think that Obama is making a mistake and will damage our economy and make us also seem so weak that other countries might attack us.

What is their reasoning about racism and fried chicken? I don't think there is anything racist about fried chicken. Almost everyone loves it. I enjoy it once in awhile even though I like BBQ chicken most of the time, it has fewer calories and I prefer the flavor of BBQ.

Is BBQ now racist too? I remember one of the BBQ restaurants we used to go to was owned by this really nice black family.

mikej
04-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I personal would not go to anyplace that used Obama's name because I don't like him and the way the country is making such a big deal over him and his family. I think that Obama is making a mistake and will damage our economy and make us also seem so weak that other countries might attack us.

What is their reasoning about racism and fried chicken? I don't think there is anything racist about fried chicken. Almost everyone loves it. I enjoy it once in awhile even though I like BBQ chicken most of the time, it has fewer calories and I prefer the flavor of BBQ.

Is BBQ now racist too? I remember one of the BBQ restaurants we used to go to was owned by this really nice black family.

There are a couple of items that have been used by Southern whites to stereotype blacks. One of them is fried chicken. Another is watermelon. No barbeque in any form is not used to stereotype blacks.

You are afraid of your own shadow. You don't understand the world outside your little community and it scares you. Obama looks different. His background is different than yours. He's certainly better educated than you or me. You haven't listened to him. You listen to the rumors and innuendo and all the falsehoods become part of what you consider "knowledge."

What Obama is doing with the economy is what has actually worked before. Do you even understand any of what he is doing? It has already helped the economy. This mess left by the last administration is extensive. Obama is not going to work miracles. It is going to take a long time to work our way out of this.

jeanea33
04-04-2009, 04:20 PM
mikej, you shouldnt be lecturing anyone on racist names. You are the one that called Micheal Steele a token black. That is a racist term. Maybe you should take your own advise.

atprm
04-04-2009, 04:26 PM
There are a couple of items that have been used by Southern whites to stereotype blacks. One of them is fried chicken. Another is watermelon. No barbeque in any form is not used to stereotype blacks.

You are afraid of your own shadow. You don't understand the world outside your little community and it scares you. Obama looks different. His background is different than yours. He's certainly better educated than you or me. You haven't listened to him. You listen to the rumors and innuendo and all the falsehoods become part of what you consider "knowledge."

What Obama is doing with the economy is what has actually worked before. Do you even understand any of what he is doing? It has already helped the economy. This mess left by the last administration is extensive. Obama is not going to work miracles. It is going to take a long time to work our way out of this.

I hardly doubt that anyone is afraid of their shadows...especially on BBS. LOL There are many references to Blacks with watermelon and fried chicken -- not just in the south. It's all in how thick your skin is...some people have rice paper for skin.
We are well aware of the world outside our doorstep, and have no difficulties stepping off our porch or front lawns. The rumors and innuendo that we listen to are the same ones you listened to during the last administration, and the ones you choose to ignore now...as well as the falsehoods of 1 book...but yet you consider it "knowledge". Baffling isn't it?

I understand that he is trying to spend OUR money to end a naturally occuring event (how many presidencies have witnessed a recession? I will answer that for you -- MANY.) This recession began under George Bush 43, BUT after the Democrats took reign over Congress -- not before.

You won't have to worry about getting out of this current fiasco because you will be dead before it comes "due" completely. Your children (God help them) and Grandchildren will be the ones to pick up the slack and wonder "what in the fark you were thinking".

mikej
04-04-2009, 04:32 PM
mikej, you shouldnt be lecturing anyone on racist names. You are the one that called Micheal Steele a token black. That is a racist term. Maybe you should take your own advise.

Advise is a verb, The noun you were looking for is advice. No, dear, using the term "token black" is not racist. It refers to the practice of hiring a person to fill a position based on the color of their skin. Blacks don't want to be hired for that reason. They want to be judged solely on their qualifications.

pepperpot
04-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Advise is a verb, The noun you were looking for is advice. No, dear, using the term "token black" is not racist. It refers to the practice of hiring a person to fill a position based on the color of their skin. Blacks don't want to be hired for that reason. They want to be judged solely on their qualifications.

Not true....some know that they are hired for the 'token' status and take the job anyway....they just want to be hired. I've personally seen it many times and I don't blame them. They had the opportunity for a job and took it. It's the system that allows for those that are less qualified to advance that I have a problem with.

I've seen qualified and less than qualified hired...for the sole purpose of being a 'token' or filling a quota. Equally, I've seen qualified blacks and other races passed over and discriminated as well. It goes both ways, not just one. :agree BTW It is wrong going either way.

pepperpot
04-04-2009, 05:12 PM
Advise is a verb, The noun you were looking for is advice.

FWIW Just a word of advice.....many smart and educated people sometimes make typos and grammatical errors, it happens for many reasons. If you want to show that you have a superior command of the written English language and impeccable typing skills by scrutinizing and correcting others...be prepared for your posts to be dissected and your imperfections to be aired and ridiculed as well.

It's in poor taste and will come back to bite you in the azz.....nobody is perfect. :agree

pepperpot
04-04-2009, 05:30 PM

As point in fact, since you brought it up........ Your post had at least one error..... Either your comma should have been a period or your capital "T" should have been lower case.....:nono:

Try not to throw stones when living in a glass house.....

Normally, I would have overlooked this faux pas, but since post scrutiny and degradation seem to be an interest of yours, I figured I'd oblige.....BTW I make errors all the time.....whoop-dee-doo.....

There are more I can highlight if you wish....;)

Now, getting into the racial terminology "thing"....are they "blacks" or "'African-Americans"? And BTW, how wonderful of you to speak for the entire lot. :rolleyes: