PDA

View Full Version : Freecycle: Another site where people give stuff away

merroge
04-03-2009, 11:54 AM
This is a group on yahoo. People try to keep stuff out of the landfills and give it away to other people. Listing are usually under 3 categories: Offer, Wanted or Taken. You have to be a member of this site to look at information. I have been a member for a long time and I don't get any spam from it. Go to yahoo and click on groups. Search the groups. They are often listed under the name of a city or county. Type the city or county name and freecycle after it. Items are always locally around you. It has a moderator and information has to be approved before it can be listed. No live animals.

windwhisper
04-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I've been using FreeCycle for a while now as well. I've given stuff away and have picked up things. It's a nice way to redecorate your home at no cost, or just the cost of driving to pick things up. I like that you are not put in a position of feeling bad for taking something, you dont have to give a reason for wanting something. When my dad passed away I offered up many things and was very glad to give things to people who would use them. There are times when people dont show up, but then you just go to the next person on the list and so on. If someone trys a scam it's caught quickly either by the moderators or by the people using the system. It's definately a program worth checking out.

Godislove555
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
You MUST list items to giveaway or you will be thrown off this one and NOT IN A VERY PLEASANT WAY. Moderators are volunteers and are powerful. If someone says something bad about you you may be thrown off. I wish I had never gotten involved with FREECYCLE. They don't tell you the rules up front - just punish you if you don't follow them.

Godislove555
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
You MUST list items to giveaway or you will be thrown off this one and NOT IN A VERY PLEASANT WAY. Moderators are volunteers and are powerful. If someone says something bad about you you may be thrown off. I wish I had never gotten involved with FREECYCLE. They don't tell you the rules up front - just punish you if you don't follow them.
I'm sorry to be so negative but I wish someone had told me about FREECYCLE before I got involved.

ahippiechic
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Our Freecycles here are great!

whatever
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM
I have mostly just given stuff away. I have only received on item. But do recommend using!

ladycat3
04-04-2009, 06:37 AM
I have been a member of our's here in New Port Richey for some time, and it's a great site. With it, I have helped my roommate almost completely furnish his home, and just recently, I recieved a 2 year old computer system because the church that owned it was upgrading to a newer system to handle it's business better. All I did was just add new memory. Everyone should check their own area to see if they have one, and if not, start your own----great way to keep our landfills from becoming overloaded! Thanks for passing this wonderful website on!

bethieb
04-04-2009, 06:49 AM

The local Freecycle group sends the rules to you when you sign up, then they email them every month so that people can refresh their memories. The local group requires that you post an offer before you can ask for an offer, which is only fair. It can be something as simple as clothes hangers, but it has to be offered. They are very harsh about no-shows - people who ask for an offer, arrange a time to pick it up, then never show up. As someone who has stayed at home waiting to give away my property to someone who never showed up, I know how frustrating this can be. On the plus side, I've given and received a lot of stuff on Freecycle and met some really great people in the process.

diana_circe
04-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't mean to be argumentative here, but every group has a list of rules that is sent to each member, and most groups send a reminder list every month It is up to the members to read the rules and follow them. I've been a group owner for almost 5 years now and every time someone gets talked to about this they said "I didn't know". But they should have known, if they had taken 2 minutes to read the rules, where its clearly states items must be given freely.

My biggest problem on FreeCycle is people posting WANTED posts and members offering to sell them items. Another big no-no.

cowboy458
04-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Freecycle is awesome! I've gotten motorcycle bags and a 19" color tv on there!

merroge
04-04-2009, 08:24 AM

For the most part I have had nothing but good luck. I picked up a fish tank one time that was cracked, but the crack had been repaired. I went to pick up an artificial tree one time and it had already been given away. I have had people to tell me they would come pick something up and never show but you just go to the next person on the list. Overall I think it has been a very positive experience. I gave away my son's clothes that he outgrew and they couldn't have went to a more needy family. I also gave infant formula away that went to a very needy family.

merroge
04-04-2009, 08:27 AM

My experience with this was that they asked that you give something away first, but it wasn't required. I suppose each moderator is different.

sandykza
04-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I've also been a member for a few years now and just love Freecycle. It's so much better to give things away than just throw them out. I've also received many of the items I've requested as well. I've recommended Freecycle to everyone I know already.

chrissylea
04-04-2009, 07:00 PM
What is the link?

chrissylea
04-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Nevermind. Got it :)

ilovecats
04-04-2009, 07:44 PM

I've never had a problem with mine.I do think you are less likely to get a reply to a "want" post.I just offer what I have to offer and check my e-mails to see if anyone offers something I need.I am kind of confused about why someone would say something bad about you.I have never seen a post dissing another member.

tsquared
04-05-2009, 05:31 AM
Our freecycle is great and really easy to use...........i have gotten things and given things. There were a bunch that wanted to sell things on ours so they started one to sell things on and that has gone well too.

MOM2B2003
04-05-2009, 07:28 AM
As a group moderator for my local Freecycle group, I'm gonna weigh in on this one.

Freecycle is a wonderful thing. However, like all good things, there are some not so good things that accompany it. There are members who abuse the rules - some purposely and some unintentionally. Our local group gets the rules sent to them once their membership is approved. All members are then "refreshed" on the rules once monthly.

It is true that each group can be run a bit differently. Some moderators are really strict and some are not strict at all. The group I moderate is fairly lax.

I have given away things and received things. A lot of times the things I give away I will just sit out on my front porch. That way I don't have to wait around for someone to show up. As for the things I have received....used cell phones (so I didn't have to sign a contract), a laser copier/printer/scanner, a bagless vaccuum (after a thoroughly cleaning worked like a charm!), batteries, COUPONS, etc. You can offer things as simple as egg cartons and newspapers. Some people have a need for newspapers and such for their pets. One person around here offers commercial grade food storage containers with screw top lids. The place she works would otherwise just pitch them. One person's trash is another person's treasure!

Good luck and Happy Freecycling!!

jufaswife
04-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I love freecycle too! I have given many things away and also received some nice things from other people.

gypsyjo
04-05-2009, 10:22 PM
I love freecycle. I've been a member for years. I have received many nice things and given away alot of things also. The only problem is the noshows. You can report them to the moderator but why bother? It's just a fact-of-life. I would reccomend them to everybody!

Godislove555
04-06-2009, 07:31 AM
I am glad to see everyone has had such good success with Freecycle. I just felt that I needed to share my particular issue. By the way, I have never been a NO CALL/NO SHOW. Instead, I was accused of hoarding. This was the Barrow County, Georgia Freecycle Group. I offered to allow them to come check my home but they refused. I even went to the national Freecycle group to appeal but I got no help. This group if run by moderators and whatever they want to do they do it. There are no restrictions. There was NEVER any rule on taking too much stuff. I doubt there is any rule like that now. It was just a very bad experience with a male moderator who decided he didn't like me.

Godislove555
04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
I am glad to see everyone has had such good success with Freecycle. I just felt that I needed to share my particular issue. By the way, I have never been a NO CALL/NO SHOW. Instead, I was accused of hoarding. This was the Barrow County, Georgia Freecycle Group. I offered to allow them to come check my home but they refused. I even went to the national Freecycle group to appeal but I got no help. This group if run by moderators and whatever they want to do they do it. There are no restrictions. There was NEVER any rule on taking too much stuff. I doubt there is any rule like that now. It was just a very bad experience with a male moderator who decided he didn't like me.Perhaps the person who replied and is a moderator has a suggestion.

gypsyjo
04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
That moderator must have really had a thing for you. In my area freecycle, I know a guy who admits to be a hoarder and says if I want to get rid of anything, to call him first. I don't, of course.

banach95
04-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Don't forget about ReUseIt... which is the TRUE grassroots recycling effort. We also use yahoo groups and function the almost exactly the same as Freecycle except we don't have Deron Beal and a board of directors running everything.

I moved my FC group to ReUseIt and never looked back...

ilovecats
04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Don't forget about ReUseIt... which is the TRUE grassroots recycling effort. We also use yahoo groups and function the almost exactly the same as Freecycle except we don't have Deron Beal and a board of directors running everything.

Thank you,I never heard of this one.

FeMailKare
04-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry to be so negative but I wish someone had told me about FREECYCLE before I got involved.

Why were they so bad ? I havent had to much trouble but I think it depends on who is the moderator of it.I have had a few nasty emails about my post but I keep on posting she can just get over it !!!

MOM2B2003
04-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Perhaps the person who replied and is a moderator has a suggestion.

Unfortunately, I do not. Freecycle groups are supposed to operate within certain parameters. (Notice I said "supposed to"?) But each group can be moderated with whatever style the individual moderator(s) prefer. Unfortunately, it sounds like this moderator is either very strict or perhaps just, well, (hmmm?) "unfriendly". I do not know the person or the circumstances, so it's hard to say.

The only other suggestion I would have is to see if the moderator is also the group owner. If he is not, try contacting the group owner. If he is, try reporting it straight to Freecycle. (For example, in my group, another individual owns the group. I am her assigned group moderator.)

Sorry for your bad experience. Hope things get better!

tljohn123
04-08-2009, 08:06 AM
I love my freecycle! We have gotten so many useful things from others and have given away a bunch of boys, mens, and women's clothes to needy people. The two best things I have have recieved was a set of china that had been discontinued and that I cannot remember the name of but it's expensive lmfao...and the two sleeping bags/camping gear combo thingys that the boys LOVE. The only problem I saw around here is a lady came by several times when I was moving to pick up stuff saying she was going to take them over to the women's shelter. I thought that was nice so I let her keep coming back. Then I found out she was keeping what she wanted and selling the rest! And yes, I did report her. Don't know if anything ever happened, but I rarely see her posting anymore.

Godislove555
04-09-2009, 06:06 AM

I have joined. Thanks

Godislove555
04-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Unfortunately, I do not. Freecycle groups are supposed to operate within certain parameters. (Notice I said "supposed to"?) But each group can be moderated with whatever style the individual moderator(s) prefer. Unfortunately, it sounds like this moderator is either very strict or perhaps just, well, (hmmm?) "unfriendly". I do not know the person or the circumstances, so it's hard to say.

The only other suggestion I would have is to see if the moderator is also the group owner. If he is not, try contacting the group owner. If he is, try reporting it straight to Freecycle. (For example, in my group, another individual owns the group. I am her assigned group moderator.)

Sorry for your bad experience. Hope things get better!cye
I did report it to Freecycle. They did nothing. I suppose moderators can treat people however they want. Moderators should require PROOF before they believe a negative report (this must have been what happened to me).

MOM2B2003
04-09-2009, 06:22 AM
cye
I did report it to Freecycle. They did nothing. I suppose moderators can treat people however they want. Moderators should require PROOF before they believe a negative report (this must have been what happened to me).

ITA! I have received a couple of negative reports in my group, and I have required that they provide me with the email trail of the situation that occurred.

I will say that none of the incidents have been really major or against the law or anything. So I warn the members involved and put them back on moderated status. (This is where I have to monitor and approve EVERYTHING they post to the group.) I keep them at that status until I feel that the problem has been rectified.

I'm sorry that your experience with Freecycle was so horrible. I assure you that not all Freecycle groups are like that. (At least I hope the members of my group do not feel that way....)

moon2007
04-11-2009, 09:05 AM
i got a new bed frame with new head bords still in box its great

country60
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
I know this is an old post but, I'm proud to be an Owner/Moderator for my Freecycle Group. I encourage everybody to hit those yardsales and just ask people to donate their unsold yardsale items to a Freecycle Group Owner/Moderator.

Donate the items right then to needy families that you hear about on your local radio stations; Someone's home burned down..Donate to a Foster Family, or to that poor couple you see sleeping on the streets! I'm glad to volunteer my time and energy to my local area.
{Wanted:Offer:Taken:AND Recieved: :)

fergrule
04-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Oh Godislove, you know why you were banned. You replied to an offer of furniture, got here and told me your husband had surgery and could not lift it even though you were told you needed to bring someone. Then you told me you were interested in anything else I had left over from the yard sale. Then you told me that you had a storage shed that you kept everything you picked up from freecycling. I believe that makes you a hoarder. Members received the rules each month. You got caught. Don't try to make that you were the innocent victim. People who take advantage of the group and take more than their fair share are removed. It was a vote of six moderators and no one voted for you.

ahippiechic
04-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh Godislove, you know why you were banned. You replied to an offer of furniture, got here and told me your husband had surgery and could not lift it even though you were told you needed to bring someone. Then you told me you were interested in anything else I had left over from the yard sale. Then you told me that you had a storage shed that you kept everything you picked up from freecycling. I believe that makes you a hoarder. Members received the rules each month. You got caught. Don't try to make that you were the innocent victim. People who take advantage of the group and take more than their fair share are removed. It was a vote of six moderators and no one voted for you.

If the only reason you registered was to start trouble with another member then your stay here will be short lived.

Please read (and follow) the Rules of Conduct and the rules for each individual forum before posting.