PDA

View Full Version : I need help with this darn computer

ttistin
04-02-2009, 04:03 PM
It is so freaking slow!

It takes at least 15 minutes for it to boot up...when I click on firefox to open a page it takes at least 5 minutes for it to open.

Going from page to page isn't bad, runs ok. It is just the opening and starting of it.

I have defraged it, done the ccleaner.

I did upgrade msn, and the kids are always playing games online on this so I am not sure what happened or if kids downloaded something. It has been acting like this for a while now, only getting worse day by day.

I have my laptop but I had to send it off for them to fix the dvd/cd thing in it, it wouldn't play a dvd or cd.

So anyway what can I do??

iluvmybaby
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Only other thing I can think of that might be wrong is you have spyware/adware of a virus. You can download adaware or spybot search and destroy and avg for free online

April78945
04-02-2009, 05:08 PM
You know..I had this problem and it wasn't a software issue.
I took the metal casing thingy off the tower and vaccuumed out the whole inside. It was eally dusty in there...runs fine now :)

speedygirl
04-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I had the same problem last week and I did several spy and malware scans and it came up empty. I checked the processes in the windows task manager and saw that my CPU was really high and there were some programs running that I didn't recognize. I went and got the new free update of AVG 8.5 (I had 7.5) and it found several adware programs. I removed them and I'm running fine now.

littlered1
04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
I took a bunch of programs I no longer use off my computor about a week ago and it really speeded it up. I think the biggest killer was the mypoints toolbar. If you have that... get rid of it and see what happens.

SLance68
04-02-2009, 08:11 PM
If your hard drive is over 50% full it will slow down the processing. Before anyone screams that you need more ram - you need to realize that your computer uses the hard drive open space along with the ram memory to run programs. If your drive is too full it will slow it down dramatically. At one of my jobs my bosses wife loaded ALL of her pictures and her creative memories program on the desktop that I use and proceeded to crash the damn thing. Needless to say I got a laptop that is off limits to "the family".

Shadowcat_99
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Make sure your system is first disconnected from the internet.

Boot up your computer in SAFE Mode (just keep hitting the F8 Key while rebooting is going on, it will ask you how you want to boot, tell it SAFE MODE).

After booting up fully, your screen will probably look wonky, don't worry about that, that's normal. Now, run your DEFRAG first, and then your DISKCLEANUP, then the AVG scan programs and cc cleaner, you should probably pick up a lot more stuff that shouldn't be there.

After that is all done, shut-down, reconnect your computer to the internet, and reboot. That should do the trick.

And I totally agree with the person who wrote about cleaning out your tower if your using a standard PC. All those dust bunnies will cause your system to drag too.

HTH.

- Shadowcat

ttistin
04-03-2009, 04:50 AM
thank you for the help guys, I will have to do this after I get home from work today.