PDA

View Full Version : Put your dogs on a MFing leash!!!!!!!!

whatever
04-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Pardon my french. But i'm am beyond pe'od!! Okay so i'm taking my LEASHED dogs to get the mail. We live in a basically rural area. Its a town of about 13 houses. Anyway I walk out my lane to about 4 mailboxes and accross the way is a junk yard access driveway. So we have been having issues with this guy and his labs. They get out of their cages. And when he drives thru town he lets them run along his truck. And they have ended up in our yard to many times to count. They chase our cats etc.
Supposedly harmless. NOT today. So today I see him with his dogs talking to a bunch of guys. I get my mail and cross the street and am back in my lane.
All of the sudden I hear him yelling at his dogs. I turned around just in time to see them about 2 ft away. My little pekingnese totally hates other dogs or is afraid of them. So he is trying to get away. My skiperkeye is running around me as well. Next thing I know as I'm trying to cinch up their leashes closer I fall because they have me tangled. All the while his dogs (not on leashes as usual) are running around chasing my dogs. Mostly the choc. lab. The other one keeps going into the ditch and sitting in the water.
I figure the choc. lab is harmless. But he is cussing at it and I'm not sure if he is hitting it as i'm trying to get ahold of my pekingnese who is panicked and getting rolled over. And next thing I know the lab trys to take a bite out of my skiperkeye. Luckily he gets ahold of it just in time!! Boy was I ever livid. I had to sit there a minute to calm my own nerves and get untangled. Plus check to see if my dogs were okay. He did ask me several times if I was okay. But i said I was fine and this is why they should be on leashes. I had to carry my pekingnese home because he was so panicked.
I called my dh and asked if I should call the sheriff. But I figured in rurual area they would say there is no law. Turns out I was right. Because my dh just called and said he called them after he thought about it. Because he got pissed thinking how one of use could have been injured. I did wrench my back when I fell.
But how many times will it take before he realizes they should be leashed when around PUBLIC or out where other animals are!!!!:getyou

YankeeMary
04-02-2009, 02:40 PM
I would be furious as well. So not funny. Your dogs could have really been hurt as well as you. I would call anyone and everyone possible to try to get a lease law passed where you live. For the sake of your pets and others. Good luck. I am glad your nor your doggies were hurt.

ttistin
04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
if nothing else call the local news and tell them about it, should get them to enforce or make a new law for leash law. You could have been seriously hurt and your doggies could have been hurt or worse.

BeanieLuvR
04-02-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm so glad your dogs weren't hurt. I hope your back is ok. I would be so mad. I don't know what it is with people not leashing their dogs. My DH and I went for a walk over the weekend and a big mean looking dog ran out at us. My DH yelled at it to try to keep it away. I'm afraid of big dogs and they know it.

whatever
04-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys. My dh and I were talking tonight about what we can do if he continues to let them "run" with him unleashed. Because I'm not about to let this happen again. And I should not have to worry about walking my dogs when I have them leashed properly.
My dh was more pissed than me and said he probably would have killed the dog if he'd seen it lunge at the dogs. They are like our babies.
I think Alex (the owner) made matters worse when he was yelling and trying to kick his dog away. Because his dog seemed fine until he did that.

littlered1
04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
I had a problem with a neighbor's lab. I couldn't walk my dog by her house because her lab would try to attack my little dog, so I bought some spray and had to start carrying it with me. I hate to do things like this because I felt bad, the dog wasn't taught any better.
but this same dog had attacked a child, had rods in it leg from being hit by a car... while chasing the car, and she actually jumped on my car one day to try to get to my little dog that was in the passenger's seat.
That day was the last straw. I complained to everyone. The girl now lives out in the country where her dog can run and not by me. If it hasn't been killed by a car by now.
I would buy the spray and use it a couple of times.

ilovecats
04-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I'd be pissed too.I hate when people do things like that.I'm surprised that you don't have a leash law.Unfortunately people like that never follow the law anyway.I hope somehow something can be done.

fairydana
04-02-2009, 07:14 PM
:hug

Mary Jo
04-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Why would someone be so stupid to let there dogs run unleashed?
I live in an urban (not suburban) area and you would not believe how many people let there dogs go unleashed. And they're always the big unsocialized ones.
I mean come on folks how stupid is this? We have cars coming through and a strip mall right down the street.
My neighbor had a dog that she took everywhere. She'd park at the curb and let the dog get out unleashed to go into the house. It worked for a couple of years but the last time the dog started running after something and got hit by a car and did not die instantly. It was horrible. Not to mention the expense of having to use the emergency vet since this happened at night.
But getting back to your problem a lot of the dog people here carry pepper spray for cases like yours.

msmom79
04-02-2009, 08:12 PM
i live just outside of the city limits-there is no leash law where i am either-i get so angry with the neighbors who let their dogs just run the neighborhood-my dogs have a kennel that goes half way around my house,whats bad is when the nieghbors dogs come into my yard to torment my dogs that are in the kennel-i would carry some mace too-you could have been hurt really bad or one of your baby's-that guy needs to learn a lesson-turn him in anyways,press it,you jarred your back and it could get worse-good luck to you sweety-i'm glad your baby's are okay,and i hope your back feels better soon

lucimPI
04-02-2009, 10:24 PM
I agree with all of you dogs should be on a leash unless (like I have) a fenced in yard. It actually is almost double fenced because I can let Luc in the front and he cannot run the whole yard unless I open a gate, then he can run the whole yard. But, my laugh for today, up the street these people have a big black dog and they have been warned so many times but they let it out early morning or evening to do his job. Well, this morning I see the gal across the street from them with a shovel and she picked up something in her yard and carried it across the street and threw it onto their driveway. HMMM, I wonder what it was. If it was me I would have put it right outside their door, not the driveway.
I do feel sorry for your babies, no animal should have to get that scared of another dog and if I were you, I would go and have my back checked and send the bill to him.

hblueeyes
04-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Your town may not have a leash law but I would bet your county and state does and as such the town must adhere to the county and state laws. Beleiev me they can ticket him because of the county/state law.

me

Quaker_Parrots
04-03-2009, 02:58 AM
When your husband called, did he tell the SD that the dogs werent leashed, or that you and yours were attacked? Honestly, I believed you were attacked by the one lab even though you didnt get bit.

tunisia
04-03-2009, 06:11 AM
I am so with you on the leash issue! I can't tell you the number of times I've walked my dogs to come upon someone with a large dog that is unleashed, running along. I get the same thing when the large dog approaches mine: "he/she won't hurt you. He/she is friendly and just wants to play." I become livid yelling to get the dog on a leash. I also remind them that there is a leash law where I live.(I live within the city) What I also explain to them is that although their dog may be friendly, I have two small dogs, one of which thinks he is Mr. Big fella and as a defense, gruffs up terribly when a big dog approaches. Since your dog has invaded my dog's space, my dog is defending itself. No telling how "mr. friendly big dog" will react when confronted with a small dog that is barking and growling, and nipping. They just don'[ get it.

Just last week we were in the woods across the street walking the trails. Out of nowhere, and I mean nowhere, came this big dog running through the trail right to my dogs. I started yelling, "get your dog". All I heard but could not see was someone whistling. Luckily, the dog obeyed and ran off. In the meantime, since my dog was going down wooded steps built into the earth, he must have twisted his paw, or caught his toenail on something as he was caught off guard. he would walk a step then sit. walk then sit.

I often wonder what it will take before these idiots realize that leashes were made for a reason. Hope your back is better soon.

pepperpot
04-03-2009, 06:48 AM
If this is the way this man behaves.....absolutely make a complaint every time there is an 'issue'..... Make a file and document, document, document..... If not for yourself, then for the next person. If this happened to a child or a pet...at least you or they would have a leg to stand on when getting this guy. And if nothing else, with all the complaints, it may make this guy start behaving better. If you ignore it and do nothing....things stay status quo until something horrible happens....

Good luck.

whatever
04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
I only have a quick second. I am really sore today. My hip is killing me. I must have landed more to one side.
Trouble with where we live is, its really no longer considered a town. Basically country. It has about 13 houses or so. A main street that run thru and our mailbox (which I walk to everyday with my dogs on their leashes) that they look forward to because they get a treat afterwards, is out on the main street.
I have a long lane to walk out of. And On the other side of the street is where the junkyard sits and that is where he was with his dogs. I didn't see them till I was almost to the mailbox. So it was to late for me to turn aound at that point anyway. Like I was telling my dh last night there was like 5 other guys over there and NOT one came to help us with his dogs!! Of course it was only one that was causing so much trouble and thats because I believe Alex got it worked up by yelling profanities and kicking at it.
When my dh called the sheriffs office (again a very small bunch) he talked to the dispatch lady and she looked up the laws on leashes. And where we live there are no laws. I think its total BS!! Because had his dog bitten me or my dog then what?? My dh explained to the lady we have had encounters with his dogs coming to our yard before. HOwever harmless then. But he said we should not have to worry about walking our dogs (on leashes) and Alex not being able to control his dogs. ANd he can't. They will NOT come to him when he calls them at all.
I will think about the spray. I hate to hurt other animals. But I will do whatever I have to, to protect my babies!

hblueeyes
04-07-2009, 03:13 AM
When my dh called the sheriffs office (again a very small bunch) he talked to the dispatch lady and she looked up the laws on leashes. And where we live there are no laws.

Have hubby check the county &/or state law. Most states have leash laws and as such your town must enforce the laws of the county and state. Just like California may have laws that make pot possession legal under certain circumstances but the feds can still arrest you even if the state does not.

I had problems with dog walkers not picking up Fidos poop. I got fed up and called the cops. He said there was no ordinance against it but I countered the county has a law stating that deposits must be picked up. I had to pressure him (threatened to call county) but the cop finally gave the jerk a ticket.

Me

whatever
04-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Have hubby check the county &/or state law. Most states have leash laws and as such your town must enforce the laws of the county and state. Just like California may have laws that make pot possession legal under certain circumstances but the feds can still arrest you even if the state does not.

I had problems with dog walkers not picking up Fidos poop. I got fed up and called the cops. He said there was no ordinance against it but I countered the county has a law stating that deposits must be picked up. I had to pressure him (threatened to call county) but the cop finally gave the jerk a ticket.

Me

I googled Iowa leash Laws and there are NONE!! I can't believe it. So basically my hands are tied. I will just keep calling the sheriff if I have to.