PDA

View Full Version : Obamas to use own cash to redecorate White House

speedygirl
03-30-2009, 09:49 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/03/30/obamas-to-use-own-cash-to-redecorate-white-hosue/

Obamas to use own cash to redecorate White House
Posted: 02:41 PM ET

From CNN's Alexander Mooney and Shannan Butler

(CNN) — The Obamas are using their own money to redecorate the White House residence and Oval Office, the White House confirms, forgoing the $100,000 in federal funds that is traditionally allotted to new presidents for such renovation projects.

The first couple — who made well over $2 million in 2008, largely from book revenues — is also turning down money from the White House Historical Association, the organization that financed a $74,000 set of china for the Bushes.

New presidents have traditionally undertaken extensive redecoration efforts to their personal quarters reflect their own tastes, with a new Oval Office rug tradition ringing in as the priciest item. Former President George W. Bush spent over $60,000 on a new cream carpet designed by Laura Bush in 2000 to replace the deep blue rug that covered the space during the Clinton administration. Obama aides have said the president likes the Bush rug, and does not plan to replace it.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/03/30/art.oval.gi.jpg

The current Oval Office rug cost over $60,000 and was designed by former first lady Laura Bush.

The decision to forgo federal funds, first reported by New York Magazine, is the president's latest belt-tightening move amid the sagging economy and widespread outrage over corporate excesses. Late last month, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs announced the administration had put an order on hold for a fleet of new helicopters that will cost at least $11 billion.

But it remains unclear just how much money the couple plan to spend on redecorations. In January, the Obamas tapped high-profile interior designer Michael Smith to spearhead the project.

In accepting the position, Smith said affordability would be one of the "guiding principles."

"The family's casual style, their interest in bringing 20th Century American artists to the forefront and utilizing affordable brands and products will serve as our guiding principles as we make the residence feel like their home," he said.

anothersta
03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
That is a cool rug!!

Now, what he need to do (among other things) is grow a pair and go tell Congress they aren't getting a raise this year.

speedygirl
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah it is a cool rug. It would have been a shame and a waste if they got rid of a$60,000 rug. Just think how we could decorate with $60K!

anothersta
03-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Yeah it is a cool rug. It would have been a shame and a waste if they got rid of a$60,000 rug. Just think how we could decorate with $60K!

I don't think they get rid of that stuff, don't they store it somewhere? I've often thought on the China thing, they should look through previous China sets and try to pick something from there. I know they all get new China and I'm not slighting them for it.

I just hope that one day, we have a first lady that goes to the older sets, chooses one and says "That will be fine". That kindof a move would instantly earn some respect from me.

speedygirl
03-31-2009, 12:29 AM
I don't think they get rid of that stuff, don't they store it somewhere? I've often thought on the China thing, they should look through previous China sets and try to pick something from there. I know they all get new China and I'm not slighting them for it.

I just hope that one day, we have a first lady that goes to the older sets, chooses one and says "That will be fine". That kindof a move would instantly earn some respect from me.

I read somewhere that they store it, some goes to the Smithsonian and to presidential libraries. From a personal standpoint, I'd like to see them use the older stuff to just for sentimental reasons and historical purposes. I like my great grandmother's china better then my own just because of the family history. A lot of the older things have character.

I just hope that one day, we have a first lady that goes to the older sets, chooses one and says "That will be fine". That kindof a move would instantly earn some respect from me

I completely agree. What's wrong with us lately? We're agreeing more then usual, lol. ;)

We've got to give some props to the Obamas for using their own $$$ regardless if we agree with them or not.

pepperpot
03-31-2009, 05:40 AM

It's a very nice rug......if they put it on ebay I'm sure they'd get more that $60k....:lol

But, using his 'own' money is a good thing....he's been paid handsomely by his 'supporters'......

BTW, the 'top notch designer' will probably 'work for free' (or for minimal) as the publicity he'll get from the job will be phenominal....just like the designers who send dresses to Hollywood stars......all the publicity is worth giving away one dress....:agree

Jolie Rouge
03-31-2009, 07:17 AM
We've got to give some props to the Obamas for using their own $$$ regardless if we agree with them or not.

:yeah:

atprm
03-31-2009, 07:45 AM

Or...

go through the previous 43 administration's sets of china, and pick out 3 settings from each ... (enough service for 129 guests) -- then alternate them on the table -- so every 3 people have a different "era" of plates/bowls/cups/saucers to use --

it's mixed and matched and each has a story to tell.

pepperpot
03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Former President George W. Bush spent over $60,000 on a new cream carpet designed by Laura Bush in 2000 to replace the deep blue rug that covered the space during the Clinton administration. Obama aides have said the president likes the Bush rug, and does not plan to replace it.

:nono: Now before anyone starts bashing Bush....we all know that blue Clinton rug had to be replaced.....it had become just too darn sticky..:twitch:..

:smokin:

Jolie Rouge
03-31-2009, 08:05 AM
I wasn't gonna go there ....

I like the lighter color rug, it brightens up the room and opens up the space...

speedygirl
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
:nono: Now before anyone starts bashing Bush....we all know that blue Clinton rug had to be replaced.....it had become just too darn sticky..:twitch:..

:smokin:

LMAO. I should know better then to read this forum with while drinking a beverage.