PDA

View Full Version : Help! Ive been invaded!

cpbaby
03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
:getyou

BY MICE!

The neighbors on both sides of us have moved out and new ones have moved back in on one side, the other is still empty. Plus the warm/cold/warm/cold weather and we have MICE. I am so freaking SICK of them. I can hear them moving and chewing(but not nearly as bad as last week) but cant catch them. I have glue traps and poison out, but they pack the poison off and MOVE THE GLUE TRAPS OUT OF THE WAY......:getyou

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tammy77
03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
I know how you feel.I been having the same problem the last couple weeks.Of course it doesnt help that I have chicken houses near me.For me the glue traps work great.What I tried that worked for me was putting a big glob of peanut butter in the middle of the trap.HTH.

Jenefer3
03-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I'd blame it on Hippie and send her something nice in return

I hate mice and sorry you have to deal with them.

jasmine
03-30-2009, 09:48 PM
do you use the box of pellets you buy, that are green and look like rabbit food? I had mice, and set out a few of these boxes, and they ate it all, and it got rid of them??!!!

Do ya have a cat? LOL

ssgjeg
03-31-2009, 04:00 AM
I'd rather have the mice than the rats. This time of year I don't have a choice. I get either or. Either I get mice or rats. The good news, for me, is they go away when it gets hot. The house gets so hot in the summer that they would rather stay outside where it is cooler. Unfortunately, with having a toddler, I can't have poison or traps out and they ignore the glue traps.

cpbaby
03-31-2009, 04:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions... If hippie sent them...maybe I should get those lovely HUMANE traps and send them back to her???

(Seriously, whats the point of the "humane traps"? WHY would I want to catch them, turn them loose, and them come right back in? I guess it would make things easier for me to take them outside and hit them in the head with a hammer or something.....)

I have the glue traps with peanut butter on them. I have the pellets. I have the wooden spring traps. I have a cat, but she cant come inside cause she prefers the bird and fish to hunting mice.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

tngirl
03-31-2009, 05:05 AM
We have cats and we have mice. The mice and the squirrels seem to be overrunning the neighborhood at the moment. I guess there are just too many for the cats to keep up with because they are good mousers.

Urban Cowgirl
03-31-2009, 05:47 AM
try the old fashioned traps with peanut butter.

SLance68
03-31-2009, 06:34 AM
We had a problem with rats at our office and the exterminator told me to use crunchy peanut butter instead of the smooth. They are actually attracted to the nuts. It did work - yuck.

CLARKS4
03-31-2009, 07:12 AM
We had one so far, the cat caught it one morning and then started playing with it and it got away. It stayed gone for a while until the other night. This time the trap got him before the cat could.

cSoReNSoN
03-31-2009, 08:22 AM
I had a mice invasion last spring for the first time ever in this house. Never had a mouse at all in the house as I've always had multiple cats. Of the three cats, only one would hunt. I think he caught 7-8 mice in a week. haha That mice invasion was the worst two weeks of my life. I don't use traps or poison indoors due to small animals, which hadn't been an issue prior to this as there weren't any mice. I found the best option was to have an exterminator place poison under the crawl space, which promptly remedied the situation. The exterminator told me, if there was ever a problem again, that tossing some D-Con under there would be just as effective. Thankfully, it's been a year since the unwanted guests have last visited. It was the best $150 spent!

Good luck!

(Just wanted to add that the exterminator would only place poison in the crawl space because my animals are indoors only and the access to it is secure. I also wanted to make sure any neighbors that allowed their animals to run rampant in the neighborhood, would be unable to gain entry to the crawl space and consume the poison.)

teenap
03-31-2009, 08:28 AM
move!
shudder, I loathe mice, eeek

lucimPI
03-31-2009, 08:51 AM
I read somewhere that if you take sheets of bounty or whatever kind you have, those sheets that you put in your dryer to make the clothes soft, they are supposed to repel them. I threw a bunch in our garage last fall along with various kinds of poison and the poison was not even touched and did not see any mice either. It is worth a try.

Shadowcat_99
03-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Yup, I contacted a company called Critter Control for my mice invasion about 6 years ago. It was driving even the daschund crazy! She would hear them in the walls and be running everywhere. I see them running across the floor, would be cleaning my counters constantly with the Clorox bleach spray because they would be on my counters leaving their crap, totally unhealthy!!! My doxie, She caught her first one the next day, and then another.

I contacted Critter Control against my DH wishes because I had enough! I have kids, and knew just like everyone what a health danger they can be! They did an inspection on the house to find out how they were getting in, I then put steel wool everywhere, they put rodenticide in the attic under the floor boards (the kind that kills the animal slowly so hopefully they go outside to die, but if not, they don't smell up the place :eviltongue: ) and they put rodenticide feeders outside the house along routes that mice are known to follow. They would track by the amount of food gone how many mice I started out with and when the stopped. I kept them for three months, spent $270, however, NO MORE MICE! :dancing2:

Never had a problem afterwards either. My DH thought I was crazy hiring these guys to do this job because of their cost, but man, he wasn't singing that tune after the mice invasion stopped!

- Shadowcat

krisharry
03-31-2009, 01:00 PM
call Billy from The Exterminators. Good luck!

cpbaby
03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Apparently I am not the only person with this problem. I stopped at the DG Market on the way home and they were practically out of everything. I got the last 6 packages of the "rat" size glue traps but they were out of poison, spring traps, mouse size glue traps....crazy.

PrincessArky
04-02-2009, 05:29 AM
We have cats and we have mice. The mice and the squirrels seem to be overrunning the neighborhood at the moment. I guess there are just too many for the cats to keep up with because they are good mousers.

and with us one of our cats brings the mice in to kill them.......I swear he is mental lol