PDA

View Full Version : Obama seeks Muslims for White House posts

justice250
03-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Obama seeks Muslims for White House posts
45 Ivy League grads, Fortune 500 execs,government officials submitted for look

WASHINGTON – Barack Obama is conducting his own affirmative action program to get more Muslims in the White House

The move began with Rep. Keith Ellison, D-Minn, who took his oath of office with a hand on the Quran, to solicit the resume of what he considered to be the nation's most qualified adherents of Islam.

According to the Denver Post, when White House officials heard about the program, it was put on overdrive.

So far, 45 Ivy League grads, Fortune 500
executives and government officials have been submitted for consideration.

J. Saleh Williams, program coordinator for the Congressional Muslim Staffers Association, sifted through more than 300 names as part of the search.

"It was mostly under the radar," Williams said. "We thought it would put (the president) in a precarious position. We didn't know how closely he wanted to appear to be working with the Muslim American community."

Ellison is serious about his faith. He made the pilgrimage to Mecca with the sponsorship of the Muslim American Society, an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood.

In 1991, Mohamed Akram wrote a memo for the leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood that explained its work in America as "a kind of grand jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and 'sabotaging' its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God's religion is made victorious over all other religions."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=93251

gmyers
03-30-2009, 05:22 AM
I hope they do background checks to at least make sure they don't have any ties with radical muslim groups. But I'm leery of it because of over zealous muslims that might want to help their causes. Cultures seem to want to help their home country even if they were born and raised here. And that scares me.

pepperpot
03-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Barack Obama is conducting his own affirmative action .....
Whatever happened to getting a job on your own merits.....race & religion are not a person's 'merits'....:(

SurferGirl
03-30-2009, 06:33 AM
I wish the government ran a better background check on BHO.
Just based on public knowledge I don't want him to run the country.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Good for him! Muslims get such a bad rap nowadays. I am glad that there will be something other than Christians in the white house.

Getting a job on your own merits went out with the Clinton administration.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Good for him! Muslims get such a bad rap nowadays. I am glad that there will be something other than Christians in the white house.

Getting a job on your own merits went out with the Clinton administration.

I wonder why muslims get such a bad rap. It wouldn't have anything to do with 911 or a lot of them being terrorists now would it. People have reasons to be wary of muslims. Look at what they've done all over the world. Not exacly making people have faith in them. They're not exactly peace loving people.

mikej
03-30-2009, 07:18 AM
I hope they do background checks to at least make sure they don't have any ties with radical muslim groups. But I'm leery of it because of over zealous muslims that might want to help their causes. Cultures seem to want to help their home country even if they were born and raised here. And that scares me.

I am of British descent i was born and raised in the USA and have never done anything to help British causes.

What have you done for your ancestral country?

ElleGee
I wonder why muslims get such a bad rap. It wouldn't have anything to do with 911 or a lot of them being terrorists now would it. People have reasons to be wary of muslims. Look at what they've done all over the world. Not exacly making people have faith in them. They're not exactly peace loving people.

Just because you want to believe the typical stereotype does not mean there are Muslims out there that only blow stuff up.. I have friends who are Muslim and they are peace loving people... :agree

ahippiechic

So we should be wary of all white people too, look what Tim McVey did. And we should be wary of all Christians also, look at Westover!

gmyers
03-30-2009, 07:26 AM
We should be wary of people that think they're doing something good by blowing themselves and everyone else up too. And that teach young people they'll go to heaven if they do it and those aren't stereotypes they're facts.

hblueeyes
03-30-2009, 07:28 AM
In 1991, Mohamed Akram wrote a memo for the leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood that explained its work in America as "a kind of grand jihad in eliminating and destroying the Western civilization from within and 'sabotaging' its miserable house by their hands and the hands of the believers so that it is eliminated and God's religion is made victorious over all other religions."

I would think any organization whose "MISSION" is to destroy and sabatoge any government and its people should be on the radar of the countrys security bureaus, and intelligence.

I also believe that it is crap like that, that makes me leery of muslims and middle easterners. It is also the silence of those who are not so called extremeists.

GOD help us all.

Me

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 07:30 AM
We should be wary of people that think they're doing something good by blowing themselves and everyone else up too. And that teach young people they'll go to heaven if they do it and those aren't stereotypes they're facts.

We should be wary of the KKK too then right? I mean they are Christians...So I should be waru of all Christians then right :agree

Not all Muslims believe the same stuff the radicals do.. And not everyone believes in 'heaven'

And yes you are stereotyping and not relaying facts... For one there is no proof there is a 'heaven'. That is an opinion, not a fact :agree

gmyers
03-30-2009, 07:33 AM
I would think any organization whose "MISSION" is to destroy and sabatoge any government and its people should be on the radar of the countrys security bureaus, and intelligence.

I also believe that it is crap like that, that makes me leery of muslims and middle easterners. It is also the silence of those who are not so called extremeists.

GOD help us all.

Me

Thats how I feel if muslims here are peace loving why is there no out cry for the violence to stop from them. I've never heard one muslim in this country condemn the suicide bombings but I've heard some giving reasons for what they're doing or justifying it.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 07:34 AM

GOD help us all.

Me

Just because some are silent doesn't mean that they believe the same thing the radicals do.. Silence could mean that they do not agree but don't want to ruffle feathers because of the silly stereotype people give them. :agree

Stereotyping is so passe.

mikej
03-30-2009, 07:36 AM

Let's see, during WWII, the Allies invaded and occupied the Middle East. Afterwards, they broke up the Ottoman Empire into the countries you see today and subjected them to European rule. Occupations rarely go well. It is not so surprising that they would attempt to throw off that rule.

Not many Muslims are terrorists. You cannot consider the Taliban to be a terrorist group. They are a fundamentalist Islamic group who returned fire when shot at. I guess that you could compare them to something like the polygamist Mormon sect.

Look at the Bible. It's a fairly violent book which, quite frankly, calls for genocide. We don't have a lot of people willing to follow these teachings, but there are a few.

The invasion of Iraq did not endear us to the Muslims. The torture of detainees at Abu Gharaib, Guantanemo and Bagram have not made us any friends. In fact, because of torture, we have lost friends. After all these atrocities, I hope you can understand how a Muslim might want revenge.

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Thats how I feel if muslims here are peace loving why is there no out cry for the violence to stop from them. I've never heard one muslim in this country condemn the suicide bombings but I've heard some giving reasons for what they're doing or justifying it.

I have Muslim friends who are horrified at those things and do speak out on regular basis.

As for the OP, that's BS if true. Just because it is posted here doesn't make it so, you also have to consider the source.

3lilpigs
03-30-2009, 07:37 AM
We should be wary of the KKK too then right? I mean they are Christians...So I should be waru of all Christians then right

WTH? Since when are KKK members, Christians?? Wow....you just offended soooooooo many people with that remark.

I don't know what church you attend, but the ones I have been too teach NOTHING that the KKK has to do with.

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
We should be wary of the KKK too then right? I mean they are Christians...So I should be waru of all Christians then right :agree

Not all Muslims believe the same stuff the radicals do.. And not everyone believes in 'heaven'

And yes you are stereotyping and not relaying facts... For one there is no proof there is a 'heaven'. That is an opinion, not a fact :agree

And if anyone wants to debate that opinion, you all can take it to another board, NOT here lol!

gmyers
03-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Just because some are silent doesn't mean that they believe the same thing the radicals do.. Silence could mean that they do not agree but don't want to ruffle feathers because of the silly stereotype people give them. :agree

Maybe if they did condemn them people wouldn't lump them in with the bad ones. Silence to me is the same as condoning their actions. They don't have anything to fear in this country if they stand up and say suicide bombing is wrong. Seems like it would make people see the difference between them and the suicide bombers.

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 07:39 AM
WTH? Since when are KKK members, Christians?? Wow....you just offended soooooooo many people with that remark.

I don't know what church you attend, but the ones I have been too teach NOTHING that the KKK has to do with.

A lot of my family members are KKK and they most all go to church and call themselves Christian. They feel that they are doing what God wants them to do.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 07:42 AM

I couldn't have said it better myself. KKK was definitely not christian. They might have gone to church but they definitely weren't living it thats for sure.

3lilpigs
03-30-2009, 07:42 AM
A lot of my family members are KKK and they most all go to church and call themselves Christian. They feel that they are doing what God wants them to do.

IMO, that's not a Christian. No "GOD" want's people to go out and kill each other.

hblueeyes
03-30-2009, 07:44 AM
But when the KKK rally or the Nazis ralley they have there share of counter protesters. When there is no counter response, outcry or action it is the same as saying you agree. But with Islam, you disagree, you die.

me

3lilpigs
03-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Just because you want to believe the typical stereotype does not mean there are Muslims out there that only blow stuff up.

But there ARE, so how can you dispute that? While I agree that not ALL Muslims are like that, there are plenty of them who's soul purpose is to kill others. (Especially Americans)

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 07:47 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself. KKK was definitely not christian. They might have gone to church but they definitely weren't living it thats for sure.

IMO, that's not a Christian. No "GOD" want's people to go out and kill each other.

So I shouldn't lump all white people into that category? Maybe you shouldn't lump all Muslims into the 'terrorist' category either then.....

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 07:49 AM
How is it ok to generalize one group but not another? How is that different? It's ok to lump all Muslims into one horrible group but try it with something you (in general) believe in and everyone gets up in arms.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Not all muslims are terrorists or bad. But where are they? Why don't they comdemn the actions then.

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Not all muslims are terrorists or bad. But where are they? Why don't they comdemn the actions then.

Who says they don't? Like I posted above, my friends are just as horrified by the terrorists as any of us are. They DO speak out.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 08:00 AM
I've never heard one muslim person do it. I've heard them giving reasons or justifying their actions though. And there are millions of muslims in this country.

justice250
03-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Silent, no. i think some of us have forgotten. Let's remember again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrM0dAFsZ8k

gmyers
03-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Thats why a lot of people feel the way they do.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 08:39 AM

So? I am offended by the rampant stereotyping of Muslims and other people in general. But that doesn't stop any of you from doing it. The KKK do in fact go to church and believe they are doing 'gods work' when it comes to what they believe...

Just because you don't attend a church that preaches what the KKK believes doesn't make it not so.

SurferGirl
03-30-2009, 08:40 AM
That video is something that I will always remember and I'll also remember the horrible things that the Taliban did to our soldiers when they captured them. I personally would never trust any of them, ever. These are savage and barbaric people.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 08:41 AM
Silent, no. i think some of us have forgotten. Let's remember again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrM0dAFsZ8k

Nobody has forgotten anything... The sad thing is too many people remember and then blame a religion as a whole or the people who follow said religion... That is really sad for a country's constitution who preaches freedom of religion.

boopster
03-30-2009, 08:52 AM
WHOA! We should all fear those we have elected to be our voices yet turn a deaf ear to us. Now these people instill terror in me and they don't even have to be members of KKK, neo-Nazis, Muslims etc. I am not just talking about the federal government but all the local, state governments too.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Nobody has forgotten anything... The sad thing is too many people remember and then blame a religion as a whole or the people who follow said religion... That is really sad for a country's constitution who preaches freedom of religion.

Maybe because we've seen the religion preaching hate and trying to get people to suicide bomb people. Its hard to have respect for that no matter what religion does that.

pepperpot
03-30-2009, 08:53 AM

"Stereotyping" is based on a 'truth'.....it doesn't necessarily apply to all, but a 'trait' common enough to see a 'pattern' in 'those' (whatever group it happens to be about) type of people.......

If we deny that there are 'truths' to a 'stereotype'.......considering it 'passé' (meaning dismissing it totally) can get you killed.

Certain gang members might wear a certain color doo rag or tatoo......does that mean everyone who wears one is a member of that gang? No.....but if you see it....you should be aware that there is a possibility that they are part of it. :agree

It can get out of hand as it is a slippery slope.....but to totally ignore 'signs' just to be 'politically correct' can cause great harm. JMO

gmyers
03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=ElleGee;96135549]So? I am offended by the rampant stereotyping of Muslims and other people in general. But that doesn't stop any of you from doing it. The KKK do in fact go to church and believe they are doing 'gods work' when it comes to what they believe...

A lot of people believe they're doing Gods work but if it goes against the Bible they aren't. God doesn't tell people to kill people it goes against his teachings.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Maybe because we've seen the religion preaching hate and trying to get people to suicide bomb people. Its hard to have respect for that no matter what religion does that.

The Aryan Nation also believes they are Christians so you kinda proved my point about respecting religions and hate *shrug

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:05 AM
"Stereotyping" is based on a 'truth'.....it doesn't necessarily apply to all, but a 'trait' common enough to see a 'pattern' in 'those' (whatever group it happens to be about) type of people.......

If we deny that there are 'truths' to a 'stereotype'.......considering it 'passé' (meaning dismissing it totally) can get you killed.

Certain gang members might wear a certain color doo rag or tatoo......does that mean everyone who wears one is a member of that gang? No.....but if you see it....you should be aware that there is a possibility that they are part of it. :agree

It can get out of hand as it is a slippery slope.....but to totally ignore 'signs' just to be 'politically correct' can cause great harm. JMO

And going along with stereotypes can get you killed as well.. It's a no win situation tbh.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:06 AM
A lot of people believe they're doing Gods work but if it goes against the Bible they aren't. God doesn't tell people to kill people it goes against his teachings.

To you they aren't..

To them they are.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 09:11 AM
The Aryan Nation also believes they are Christians so you kinda proved my point about respecting religions and hate *shrug

I don't hate muslims or the muslim religion. I hate it when people teach lies and get people to kill themselves and others. Or start teaching hate to kids when they are little and don't know better. Thats what I don't like about it or any religion that would do that.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 09:13 AM
To you they aren't..

To them they are.

That doesn't make it true though. Just because they believe it.

pepperpot
03-30-2009, 09:14 AM
And going along with stereotypes can get you killed as well.. It's a no win situation tbh.

Now I didn't say to 'act' upon it.......that would be a **insert***-ist. But having some knowledge of a possibility.....you keep your ears up......and see if any other 'bells' are ringing....:agree

It if looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....there's a possibility that it is a duck......moreso than an elephant.

It's the terrorists that gave muslims a bad name....... Just like the KKK that gives 'Christians' a bad name and most 'Christians' will absolutely make a definite distinction and distance themselves from anything related to them. :agree I think that's what needs to be seen more prevalently from the peaceful muslim groups. :agree JMO

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:16 AM
That doesn't make it true though. Just because they believe it.

And this is where the situation of 'what YOU believe' comes in. Just because YOU don't believe it doesn't make it NOT true.

Oh and by the way God ordered Joshua to kill every man child and woman in Caanan.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
If I was muslim I would definitely let people know I'm nothing like the terrorists. That way there would be no doubt in anyones mind about it.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:21 AM
It's the terrorists that gave muslims a bad name....... Just like the KKK that gives 'Christians' a bad name and most 'Christians' will absolutely make a definite distinction and distance themselves from anything related to them. :agree I think that's what needs to be seen more prevalently from the peaceful muslim groups. :agree JMO

I agree... But if I had said that someone needs a background check because they could possibly be a radical Christian wouldn't have been so readily accepted and I would have been flamed biggie style.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:22 AM
If I was muslim I would definitely let people know I'm nothing like the terrorists. That way there would be no doubt in anyones mind about it.

No there ALWAYS will be doubt.. It has been shown numerous times in this thread alone lol.

*I mean why just not number them all? If you're a Muslim you may as well be marked with something the way some people talk.. It's sad

gmyers
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Well lets put it this way there'd be less doubt in my mind.

pepperpot
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I agree... But if I had said that someone needs a background check because they could possibly be a radical Christian wouldn't have been so readily accepted and I would have been flamed biggie style.

If there was a reason, like a bombing, etc., that was done (more than once) by a 'radical Christian'....then by all means....make sure that background check is super thorough.....it's a 'red flag'....:agree.....no offense taken.

Just like that story a few months back.....everyone knows there's topics that one does not discuss in airports/planes.....bomb, etc.....you will get in trouble....now, if you outwardly resemble someone who has say, bombed in the past, it would be incredibly stupid to speak of such things and expect not to be looked at 'differently' or get 'in trouble'....:doh

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Well lets put it this way there'd be less doubt in my mind.

Less doubt in your mind that you aren't a terrorist? Or people thinking you are because you're a Muslim? Because if we're going by this thread then no, everyone will still think you're a terrorist..

It's stuff like this
"I know all Muslims aren't like that but........."
that let's me know that people are going to think you're a terrorist anyway :agree

gmyers
03-30-2009, 09:38 AM
You don't think that muslims should at least say its wrong? I just don't understand why they don't at least say something against their actions. Thats what I'm saying.

boopster
03-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I believe that hate is derived from ignorance. People fear and thus hate something they do not know. This can be on several levels. Think about a food or condiment you grew up with such as Heinz ketchup. This bottle was always in your frig and you accepted this as the one and only ketchup. One day you go to a friends and they put out a bottle of Hunts....some people won't even try it because it is NOT their kind of ketchup, some will try it and like it while others will just ignore it. Unless we are exposed at a very early age, we can be very set in our ways and find it difficult to open up our doors of learning. We are also taught a set of values which can differ from those far and wide. As American women, would you walk 10 paces behind your husband; be killed because you had premarital sex, allowed to be told that you are only useful for producing offspring etc? These things are acceptable in other cultures. If i went around killing, you would have been sent directly to the psych ward yet in other places, killing others is considered an achievement and this killer is exalted and put on a pedestal.

I think we all need an open mind and judge each as individuals. It won't be easy because we all have been brought up with some prejudice, but it is something we can try to do. Now personally I have to make myself think that not all politicians are the rear end of a donkey........

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:41 AM
You don't think that muslims should at least say its wrong? I just don't understand why they don't at least say something against their actions. Thats what I'm saying.

They don't owe you anything.. They don't have to come out and say it's wrong. Nobody in any religion owes you a thing or an explanation for anything that they believe in.

If that is what you're waiting for then I am sorry. I just don't agree. *shrug

pepperpot
03-30-2009, 09:43 AM
would you walk 10 paces behind your husband;
Only if I thought there might be a land mine ahead....:lol

pepperpot
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
They don't owe you anything.. They don't have to come out and say it's wrong. Nobody in any religion owes you a thing or an explanation for anything that they believe in.

If that is what you're waiting for then I am sorry. I just don't agree. *shrug

They might not 'owe it'....but it would go a long way....:agree

gmyers
03-30-2009, 09:46 AM
You're right they don't owe us anything. Then they shouldn't be upset when people are suspicious of them then. Because silence is the same as condoning. And if you condone something you're as guilty as they are.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:48 AM
They might not 'owe it'....but it would go a long way....:agree

That I can agree with.

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
You're right they don't owe us anything. Then they shouldn't be upset when people are suspicious of them then. Because silence is the same as condoning. And if you condone something you're as guilty as they are.

Silence is not the same as condoning..... but whatevs.. *shrug

pepperpot
03-30-2009, 10:02 AM

Sometimes it is.....:( When you know a child is being tortured and do nothing......silence can be condoning.....

ElleGee
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
OK I'll clarify what I meant

Silence doesn't have to have a motive.. Sometime silence is just that...Silence. It does not always mean that you condone whatever it is you're silence is about.. *shrug

jeanea33
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I think any politican being considered for any white house position, should have their background checks in all aspects of their lives. Many people run their life around religion. Many decisions are decided by ones religion. A muslem wouldnt agree with my decisions as a christian. So you need a non partial person in office. To be honest you need a person who isnt really religous.

boopster
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM

When I was moving to NYC, my father's words of advice were "You have a big mouth, use it!". I am glad to report that most of the time I do follow his advice but there are times when holding my tongue achieves more or creates less of an atmospheric disturbance. It is easy to find fault with others who do not have your same beliefs and high standards but if I had to correct all these ppl, I would never be able to keep my mouth closed! Thus silence does not always denote acceptance. Besides if we squawked all the time, no one would ever listen to us so we have to pick and choose what we feel that our words and actions can best work toward a better goal.

boopster
03-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I think any politican being considered for any white house position, should have their background checks in all aspects of their lives. Many people run their life around religion. Many decisions are decided by ones religion. A muslem wouldnt agree with my decisions as a christian. So you need a non partial person in office. To be honest you need a person who isnt really religous.

You also need someone who doesn't owe anybody anything :(

ahippiechic
03-30-2009, 10:26 AM

This.

I would love it if they were all atheists. The decisions wouldn't be based on my religion but at least they also wouldn't be made based on a religion I don't agree with.

tngirl
03-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Ellison is serious about his faith. He made the pilgrimage to Mecca with the sponsorship of the Muslim American Society, an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood.

I do believe everyone has missed the point here. That this Ellison person is affiliated with an organization that is an off shoot of an organization that wants to kill us all.

gmyers
03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Thats what I was afraid of. You don't know who they are associated with. And if he's affiliated with this organization that wants to sabotage us from within. What better way to do it than to work in the white house. You can't get more within than that.

kelblend
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I would love to see in-depth bg checks on each and every one of his picks. I'd like to see the experience they have for the job. I'd like to see a more in-depth look at obama for that matter. I think right now it's just complete and utter chaos. Why does the man have to seek people of a certain religion anyway? I guess they all do, but he seems a little out there with a lot of his picks. Geightner sure is a mess.

SurferGirl
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
He has had a livelong habit of picking the wrong kind of people.
Take a good look at the friends he had.
I still don't know why his college records are still sealed and why he choose radical professors but we also don't know what he did when he lived in Indonesia and what he was doing in Pakistan during college breaks. When he lived in Idonesia his religion was listed as Muslim.

speedygirl
03-30-2009, 10:35 PM
He has had a livelong habit of picking the wrong kind of people.
Take a good look at the friends he had.
I still don't know why his college records are still sealed and why he choose radical professors but we also don't know what he did when he lived in Indonesia and what he was doing in Pakistan during college breaks. When he lived in Idonesia his religion was listed as Muslim.

Hey SurferGirl, I know this is a little offtopic but in the same line as your statement about Obama's friends. Ayers was supposed to speak at one of my kid's school and officials put the kibosh on it. I thought you'd find it interesting.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511456,00.html

William Ayers to Address Boston College Students Via Satellite
Monday, March 30, 2009

BOSTON — Former Weather Underground Organization member William Ayers will address Boston College students via satellite after university administrators canceled an on-campus personal appearance.

Ayers was invited to speak by two student groups, but university officials rescinded the invitation on Friday.

Students at first tried to find an off-campus site. Melissa Roberts, vice president of the College Democrats of Boston College, tells The Boston Globe that Ayers will now speak via satellite from Chicago on Monday in Devlin Hall on campus.

The talk is open only to Boston College students, faculty and staff.

Ayers was a central figure in the 2008 presidential campaign when Republicans criticized Barack Obama for his connections to the former 1960s radical.