PDA

View Full Version : Eight killed in North Carolina nursing home rampage

ahippiechic
03-29-2009, 04:47 PM
(CNN) -- Seven patients and a nurse were killed during a Sunday morning shooting at a Carthage, North Carolina, nursing home, authorities said.
The shooting happened at about 10 a.m. Sunday in Carthage, North Carolina, authorities said.

The shooting happened at about 10 a.m. Sunday in Carthage, North Carolina, authorities said.

The man accused of carrying out the attack was shot by a police officer, and his condition "is currently unknown," Carthage Police Chief Chris McKenzie said. The police officer was shot in the leg and was treated and released, McKenzie said.

The slain patients ranged in age from 78 to 98, Moore County District Attorney Maureen Krueger said. The suspect, identified as 45-year-old Robert Stewart, faces eight counts of murder and one count of felony assault on a police officer, she said.

Stewart was not an employee of the nursing home -- the Pine Lake Health and Rehab Center -- and he did not appear to have been related to any of the patients, Krueger said.

"There is still more to be uncovered as far as his purpose in being there," she said.

Few details of the shootings, which happened about 10 a.m. Sunday, were immediately available.

"I ain't never seen nobody being mistreated down there or nothing," Bobby Dunn, whose 89-year-old mother was living at the facility, told CNN affiliate News 14 Carolina. "That's what I can't understand -- why somebody would come and do something like that."

Carthage is about 60 miles southwest of Raleigh.

Sunday's killings were the latest in a series of high-profile but apparently unrelated rampages in March, including the killings of 10 people by an Alabama man who was then killed by police. At a southern Illinois church, a man shot and killed the pastor and stabbed two parishioners, and a 17-year-old in Germany killed 15 people in two small towns before dying in a shootout with police.

nightrider127
03-29-2009, 08:05 PM
What a terrible thing for a so called human to do. Those people were totally helpless to stop him.

I hope he gets the maximum sentence.

meltodd69
03-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm gonna say it again WTF is wrong with people!!

SurferGirl
03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
People seem to be getting worse and worse all the time.
Why would anyone kill people in a nursing home.

dv8grl
03-30-2009, 04:39 AM
Hopefully, he will die from his gunshot wound. :top:

gmyers
03-30-2009, 05:28 AM
They said on the news he was looking for his ex wife that worked there.